sun kil moon (1 Viewer)

superman

Website
Visit site
just wonderinf if anyone has heard the sun kil moon record? sun kil moon are mark kozeleks new band and the album is meant to be amazing... but i cant find it anywhere in dublin. its released on jetset which is why i probably cant find it although they did originally put out mogwais Ten Rapid whiuch was widely available....
anyone heard it yet?

Ghosts of the Great Highway

superman said:
just wonderinf if anyone has heard the sun kil moon record? sun kil moon are mark kozeleks new band and the album is meant to be amazing... anyone heard it yet?
I got the 10" of Mark Kozelek's Duk Koo Kim [which appears on the Sun Kil Moon LP]- in Road Records - for the horrendously expensive price of €16.99. It's ok.

The album reviews are great

superman said:
but i cant find it anywhere in dublin.
  • no surprises there.
  • Dublin is not a good place to buy music
  • there's loads of stuff that I want to get and I am blue in the face from ringing up/going into shops and seeing if it's there - without success and people being oblivious/indifferent to it.
  • new releases seem to be coming on the Friday after the UK date now - if they come at all.
  • you are wasting your time trying to buy indie CD singles. i.e. the last Cinerama single appeared nowhere and no-one knew anything about it. Finally got it direct from the website
  • the big shops [HMV/Tower] are the same as they always have been - patchy [but sometimes get stuff in that you won't get elsewhere in Dublin i.e HMV getting the Felt reissues] - but the small shops are not what they used to be.
  • I'd much rather give my money to a local independent shop but if they are not getting the product in then they give me no choice but to goto the megastore or more commonly buy online

nlgbbbblth said:
arrived this morning

an amazing album.|..|

the MP3, Carry me Ohio, is great

Jet Sets distro here is well well patchy

also that 10", IO asked Road to oreder it for me and they said they couldn't, then they obviously could.... blast! Thats the first release on Cameroon Crowes record label, for that reason alone I would've coughed up for it.

:(

At least it's gone to a good home

Going to pester them too get the Sun Kil Moon album in

ten rapid was a collection of early stuff initially intended for release in the u. s. of a. only. mogwai's original label in the states was jetset, but they jumped to matador (i think) around the time of young team. however, jetset did put out ten rapid, and still do. which meant that it was originally only available here on import from the states (a semi-ludicrous situation) and for some wildly-inflated price (like 15.99 old irish money for a half-hour of music).

nlgbbbblth said:
arrived this morning

an amazing album.|..|

Amazing in a similar way to "Old Ramon" (songs about cats and other bullshit) or amazing in a similar way to "Rollercoaster" (songs with meaningful lyrics and it sounded like he still gave a shit).

I never got that whole thing about people raving about "Old Ramon" - it's shite compared to the other albums. A fact reflected in the disturbingly bad show they put on in the Olympia just after its release.... in comparison to the solo show he did in HQ a few months before.

ITalkShite said:
ten rapid was a collection of early stuff initially intended for release in the u. s. of a. only. mogwai's original label in the states was jetset, but they jumped to matador (i think) around the time of young team. however, jetset did put out ten rapid, and still do. which meant that it was originally only available here on import from the states (a semi-ludicrous situation) and for some wildly-inflated price (like 15.99 old irish money for a half-hour of music).

still my favourite mogwai record. stanley kubrik ep a close second.
no that anyone gives a shit.

spady said:
I never got that whole thing about people raving about "Old Ramon" - it's shite compared to the other albums. A fact reflected in the disturbingly bad show they put on in the Olympia just after its release.... in comparison to the solo show he did in HQ a few months before.
yeah the olympia show was so limp - even grace cathedral park couldn't lift it. then again they had lost the amazing guitarist who played on down colourful hill/rollercoaster/bridge/ocean beach.

kozeleks solo show in HQ was amazing - i got to interview him - cool guy!

p.s. hey superman the sun kil moon record is gettin a european release in feb!!:)

I love Old Ramon, you can't say cruiser or lake michigan are 'bullshit', anyhow the song about his cat is sort of sweet. Void is amazing too. Songs for a Blue Guitar and Old Ramon are my faves, I never really dug the early stuff.

spady said:
Amazing in a similar way to "Old Ramon" (songs about cats and other bullshit) or amazing in a similar way to "Rollercoaster" (songs with meaningful lyrics and it sounded like he still gave a shit).

Pantone247 said:
Songs for a Blue Guitar and Old Ramon are my faves, I never really dug the early stuff.
wow! i never met a late period RHP fan before. to me those albums sound really unfocused and lacking a little magic. Ocean Beach was they last really good album.

my fave has to be Down Colorful Hill - the first one i heard and one of the best candlelight records ever!:) rollercoaster is close behind but there's something so special about DCH - it was their demo tape and 4ad released it as it was! An amazing headphone listen. And "24" is one of the greatest songs ever.

whats other peoples fave RHP albums/songs?

It's not that shocking, I just don't dig the long acoustic naval gazing stuff

the phrase 'best candlelight records ever!' sort of sums up for me what I don't dig about it. Some good stuff, but I prefer the big rock outs.

Make like Paper, that solo is a-ha-may-z-ing. 12 mnutes is just to short.

spectraljanitor said:
wow! i never met a late period RHP fan before. to me those albums sound really unfocused and lacking a little magic. Ocean Beach was they last really good album.

my fave has to be Down Colorful Hill - the first one i heard and one of the best candlelight records ever!:) rollercoaster is close behind but there's something so special about DCH - it was their demo tape and 4ad released it as it was! An amazing headphone listen. And "24" is one of the greatest songs ever.

whats other peoples fave RHP albums/songs?

Ocean Beach and that Rollercoaster album are the best i reckon. Best harmonies are on ocean beach, best guitar sound on Blue Guitar (that Rick Okazek track is deadly). I have NEVER seen him do a good show (was at Mean Fiddler and HQ)...it hurts to see someone butcher songs you love, even when they wrote them themselves.

I heard that the Olympia show was much more along the lines of the older RHP sound. But at that stage I'd vowed never to waste money on the prick again.

Pantone247 said:
It's not that shocking, I just don't dig the long acoustic naval gazing stuff

the phrase 'best candlelight records ever!' sort of sums up for me what I don't dig about it. Some good stuff, but I prefer the big rock outs.

Make like Paper, that solo is a-ha-may-z-ing. 12 mnutes is just to short.
ah i see!!bing

betcha love 'everyone knows this is nowhere' by neil young&crazy horse? that was the guitar sound he was goin for on that...

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I've had all the rhp albums sent to the lab for testing. I should know by the morning which one's the best.

the rollercoaster album is my favorite. it's probably the most tuneful and the most far out and the one i would be most inclined to listen to now. put simply, it rocks. mumblin' deaf ro loaned it to me when we were in college. a couple of months later i was a rhp junkie. still recovering.

good stuff re kill sun moon or whatever. hope it's not shite. it mightn't be. maybe he went back on the old heroin and had a major falling out with his mother. hopefully anyway.

mean fiddler gig was so excellent. the olympia one was fairly painful (not in a good way). i demanded a full refund of my life.

my top 4 rhp albums

1. the rollercoaster one (fave song: strawberry hill)
2. down colorful hill (fave song: japanese to english)
3. ocean beach (fave song: brockwell park)
4. the japanese gardens one (fave song: uncle joe)

(songs for a blue guitar and old ramon are arguably solo mark kozelek albums, and anyway, i wouldn't be a major fan of either.)

p.s. where can you order the moon kills sun album? amazon? i'm too lazy to look.

p.p.s. on an unrelated note, i saw the omen again last night. it was truly class. old horror films were much better. more psychological, less gory. although gore can be nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back