Submarine blues (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
12:11 Wednesday December 6th 2006

Sacked workers mount pickets at Submarine bar in Dublin.

Members of bar workers' trade union Mandate are picketing the premises of the Submarine pub in the Crumlin area of Dublin today.
The former staff claim they were let go from their jobs last week and replaced with cheaper labour.

They say the pub's new owner, Gary Smith, has told them they must reapply for their jobs and work under different conditions.

If the prick succeeds with this course of action then we may see more examples of such greed.

Hopefully the workers will stand up for themselves.

or else the locals boycott the place and he goes out of business.

PicofJlarkin.jpeg

If the prick succeeds with this course of action then we may see more examples of such greed.

Hopefully the workers will stand up for themselves.

If they do stand up for themselves, all other things being as fucked up as they sound, then yer man doesn't stand a chance in the labour court.

Is there a link for this Nigglebroth?

If they do stand up for themselves, all other things being as fucked up as they sound, then yer man doesn't stand a chance in the labour court.

Is there a link for this Nigglebroth?

I got it from a guy on another board.
There's a piece in today's Irish Times, page 7.

Regardless of one's personal views on The Submarine, I find such treatment of workers abhorrent and morally wrong.

Regardless of one's personal views on The Submarine, I find such treatment of workers abhorrent and morally wrong.

I agree with Buzzo... aside from the moral and ethical side of this surely such an action is illegal! Grounds for unfair dismissal at the very least.

I agree with Buzzo... aside from the moral and ethical side of this surely such an action is illegal! Grounds for unfair dismissal at the very least.

Not when it's under new ownership.

Basically you will get a P45 from the old owner and the new owner will offer you a new contract.

Immoral, unethical, but not illegal.

I knew this would happen when they brought in a minimum wage.

For minimum, read maximum.

Even revenue acknowledge they can't combat this shit of people offering to work for less than minimum as they don't have the resources.

Even revenue acknowledge they can't combat this shit of people offering to work for less than minimum as they don't have the resources.

Not so much people "offering" to work for less than the minimum as greedy employers paying people less than the minimum wage. Fucking scumbags.

As Joe Higgins pointed out during the Gama dispute, there are more dog wardens than Labour inspectors in this country, which tells you something about the sincerity and enthusiasm with which the government seeks to enforce workers legal rights.

I was talking to a Tax inspector a few weeks ago who was telling me the problems they and the likes of FÁS are having. FÁRSE try and motivate small business to employ people who successfully complete their courses. Those same small businesses are now turning around and telling them out straight that they are hiring people who are coming to them offering to work for less than the minimum wage and it makes more sense for them to do so. "They're small businesses and can't afford to do otherwise". While I'm all in favour of supporting the small businessman, I think that if he can't afford to be in business then he shouldn't be in it or take the loss until he can.

That Dog Warden example really does put it into perspective though.

Revenue is changing the way it works though. There's no longer a Tax Inspector Grade, which is a good thing. Which means they have more people to do the work. Or will do in the near future.

the takeover in ownership is very relevant here.

some guy called Posh Spice put it quite eloquently

'Gary buys a very profitable business.
Gary wants his workers to take a pay cut for no reason.
Gary's workers are not complete idiots.
Gary's workers picket Gary's business.
Gary's pub is empty.
Workers/Punters dont like to line Gary's pockets because he's a prick.
Gary's business loses money.
Gary is an idiot.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back