stopping boozing (1 Viewer)

I don't drink at all, for about 13 or so years. I stopped drinking to see if I'd feel better about my life etc than when I was drinking. I was on meds at the time and was feeling like sh*te. Not drinking definitely did help in that regard, and it still does I fink. As against that, a lot of social activity, not just in Ireland, does involve alcohol and one can feel a bit weird if not guzzling along merrily.

I would say that reducing one's intake is definitely a good idear for loads of different reasons. There is an argument for having the odd few too though.

I suggest Erdinger as a non alcoholic beer (.3% content). If you want to go zero content, Holsten have one, but it don't taste so good.

I give it up for a month every year and I get SO BORED. Fine if I'm at a gig or a fillum or something entertaining, but I parties and pubs bore me stupid after the first hour or so. I still do it every year though, and it's a lot easier for me than giving up caffeine.

I find drinking low-alcohol beer, or alternating alco with non-alco drinks, much easier. This is what I do on weeknights now that I'm an aul' one with an office job that's impossible to do with a hangover.

The whole "I can't have just one pint without getting ratarsed" thing might just be more of a habit than anything else. I've been too skint to have more than one pint a couple of times recently and still managed to have a great night out - but then there was dancin' involved.

i could just about manage the pub for an an hour or two sans booze but i don't think i'd even attempt a party.

A couple of people I know actually breathe a sigh of relief when i do start drinking a few as if it's a huge weight of their back. ridiculous.
It's not really ridiculous. Boozing isn't just about the alcohol/drunkenness, drinking together is a way of social bonding, a sort of group signalling "we're all letting our hair down and it's ok to say and do stuff we wouldn't do in Normal Life". If one person is not joining in then it changes the dynamic of the whole group (though you kinda get away with this if you're an actual teetotaller)

It's not really ridiculous. Boozing isn't just about the alcohol/drunkenness, drinking together is a way of social bonding, a sort of group signalling "we're all letting our hair down and it's ok to say and do stuff we wouldn't do in Normal Life". If one person is not joining in then it changes the dynamic of the whole group (though you kinda get away with this if you're an actual teetotaller)

You've got a point there.

As far as I can tell egg is the common sense go to guy.Go egg!

This sunny weather is testing my no mid week booze resolve.

bump. i don't want to stop completely but a really bad weekend has made me want to cut down drastically on my intake on a night out. are there any decent low as opposed to no alcohol beers?

bump. i don't want to stop completely but a really bad weekend has made me want to cut down drastically on my intake on a night out. are there any decent low as opposed to no alcohol beers?

Becks Vier is slightly lower, it does add up if you're having lots over an evening. One of my locals in London does a lovely "light ale" that's only 2 point something, but not much use to you unless you live in Clapton.

I'm approaching my annual pre-tox detox in November, I have a mate's 40th on Hallowe'en night so I'm sure I'll be quite happy not to see a drink for a month.

close enough. i live in london fields

Sorry KK, only saw this now - alas The Swan on Clapton Common is gone now, and I haven't seen that luvly light ale anywhere else.

No Booze No Vember is being ruined for me this year by my other half's sis's wedding. I'm not going to attempt an Irish wedding without booze.

Have a baby. And work all the time when you are not unconscious / feeding the baby. In a job doing something that you are probably not intelligent enough to do.

You're life will more or less be complete misery, but you will be off the booze. You will also lose weight, get grey hair, and eventually want to crawl somewhere, roll into a ball and wonder why you have decided to inflict unrelenting suffering on yourself.

Or you could go to jail. Which would be far, far easier to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back