Stiff Little Fingers (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
Reading the Kicking Up A Racket book at the minute,got it in the local library. It's a way better read than expected and way better than the other books on them I read. It prompted me to pull out the records for a listen,the early stuff at least,probably gets better with age. I suppose it's kinda easy to ignore how good they were with all the love of the slightly less known irish bands that is common these days.

Reading the Kicking Up A Racket book at the minute,got it in the local library. It's a way better read than expected and way better than the other books on them I read. It prompted me to pull out the records for a listen,the early stuff at least,probably gets better with age. I suppose it's kinda easy to ignore how good they were with all the love of the slightly less known irish bands that is common these days.

Ignorant question, but what else is good after Inflammable Material?

Nobody's Heros is great(and I've just discovered I don't own it!!!!!!!!!) and Hanx is a great live record. After that it's greatly diminishing returns.

Nobody's Heros is great(and I've just discovered I don't own it!!!!!!!!!) and Hanx is a great live record. After that it's greatly diminishing returns.

I agree 100% or else I did....I do find Hanx and Nobody's heroes seem slowish these days, it's a bit like the football I used to watch in the 70s and 80s, when I viewed the 79 cup final again it was like they were playing in slow motion.

I watched Punk Brittania last night and it had some very early stuff by SLF live, very raw but totally excellent, it only reminded me of how total shit they became.

I only saw them once,'87 on the Go For It again tour in the Ulster Hall. It was great.

Seen them many many times in the late 70s and early 80s...they were very good then ofc and used to tour here pretty regularly.

offhand the tivoli and some place that was pretty familiar to whelans, unless it was a differently named back then, my memory is hazy, seen them in the village in rebellion in the early noughties but they were fat and shit back then.

The few new songs I've heard since they got back together did nothing for me. And with it pretty much being the Jake Burns band(it always was though really,aguably) I just can't get excited for them. I sometimes wish I'd gone to that one in the Voodoo when the yd id Inflammable Material,but again,it was a different line up.

great book ,fuckin great band ,imflammable material,nobodys hero ,go for it and Hanx are their standout LP s ,ive seen them every time theyve played since 1987 and TBH some of their gigs from about 95 to 2005 were VERY ropey but the last few times theyve been excellent {with Ali Mc mordie back on bss BTW]

SLF were still knocking out decent material towards the end of their first incarnation, but it tended to be the singles, not the albums ( Two Guitars Clash, Silver Lining etc... ). The ALL THE BEST compilation is pretty much testament to this and is a good representation of the decline in quality. When they started on the torch songs it was unrecognisable in spirit from the band that recorded the first record. Becoming more professional can ultimately be damaging to any punk band. As for the records from their regrouping onwards... "Flags And Emblems" was a soulless empty product with SLF written on the front... and with regard to becoming "Fat and shit"... it's something that applies to most bands from that era. No idea how many times I've seen them live... it's hit and miss, but Ali McMordie is definitely better for the band than that twit Foxton.

SLF were still knocking out decent material towards the end of their first incarnation, but it tended to be the singles, not the albums ( Two Guitars Clash, Silver Lining etc... ). The ALL THE BEST compilation is pretty much testament to this and is a good representation of the decline in quality. When they started on the torch songs it was unrecognisable in spirit from the band that recorded the first record. Becoming more professional can ultimately be damaging to any punk band. As for the records from their regrouping onwards... "Flags And Emblems" was a soulless empty product with SLF written on the front... and with regard to becoming "Fat and shit"... it's something that applies to most bands from that era. No idea how many times I've seen them live... it's hit and miss, but Ali McMordie is definitely better for the band than that twit Foxton.

Excellent comment. Made all the more enjoyable with a Tori Amos song in your last.fm footer.

I know very little about Tori Amos. In a discussion somewhere along the line about how Slayer's ANGEL OF DEATH would lend itself to a wonderful banjo arrangement, someone suggested I check out what Tori Amos did with RAINING BLOOD and a lot of other interesting stuff ( Tom Waits, Depeche Mode, Stranglers etc ... ) on an album called STRANGE LITTLE GIRLS. Steal it off the internet, it's definitely worth a listen.

All of this has very little to do with Stiff Little Fingers I know, but seeing as you brought it up...

I know very little about Tori Amos. In a discussion somewhere along the line about how Slayer's ANGEL OF DEATH would lend itself to a wonderful banjo arrangement, someone suggested I check out what Tori Amos did with RAINING BLOOD and a lot of other interesting stuff ( Tom Waits, Depeche Mode, Stranglers etc ... ) on an album called STRANGE LITTLE GIRLS. Steal it off the internet, it's definitely worth a listen.

All of this has very little to do with Stiff Little Fingers I know, but seeing as you brought it up...

I'm a bit of an internet smartarse at times.

Will check the album. Thanks.

Just saw that SLF are playing Belfast ulster hall on march 14th. Same day in Beechmount Leisure Centre, the Damned and Outcasts are playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back