State of the scene (4 Viewers)

damien said:
insurance. licences. booze. cops. noise. etc.

would fucking love to do it though.

How about acoustic gigs only. It seemed to work in the Warehouse from what I could see. Make it all ages and no booze or drugs too if that's gonna make it less hassle.

mazzyianne said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying actually...sorry:eek:

heh. ok, in brief: i've seen something similar work in another city (complete with noise, drinking outside, etc) and i still can't figure out how they were getting away with it, and long-term too. maybe it's totally impossible in dublin though.

i think it's a deadly idea and am especially in favour of non-pub venues, mind.

edit: eh, reading it again, maybe what i'm saying sums up as 'useless enthusiasm'.

don't mean to state the obvious but... berkeley and dublin are very very very very different places. very.

acoustic gigs are good but you could already have them anywhere, in a field, whatever.

and i'm pretty happy with all the stuff i'm currently doing.

but of course i hate the fact that gigs are in pubs. having to spend tons on booze, being given out to for other people drinking cans and fucking up, having to end at closing time, not technically being allowed under 18s in*, it would be great to have our own venue. to think what we could do if we had giro's in dublin. but realistically we need to think of all the obsticles in our way from the very beginning so we have figure out if its possible to get over them.

*on the subject of all ages gig, etc. i definitly agree with what dylan said about the importance of these, because there have been so few young people coming to gigs over the past few years. anyone with ideas/suggestions on how to do all ages gigs in town will have my support and potential participation.

damien said:
don't mean to state the obvious but... berkeley and dublin are very very very very different places. very.

yeah, it just amazed me to see it anywhere, wasn't really worth mentioning i suppose.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I think if it did happen there would have to be a very strict set of rules in regards to alcohol and behaviour. I know that goes somewhat aginst some people understanding of punk,but fuck them.

I think that plan for Seomra Spraoi if we ever got involved in doing night-time social things (gigs, movies, parties) would be that drugs would be out (not so much that we are anti-drugs, but its any easy tool to shut us down), no smoking, and we would discourage the promotion of the space as a predominaantly drinking-gaff. We hadn't drawn up a formal guidlines but we had agreed at meetings: no drinking cans outside, no heavy drinking culture with pissed teens asleep on the floor with their parents complaining to Joe Duffy the next morning, alot/ a majority of completely noalchohol events. People have Bohs and Porco Dio for all that

xSeomraSpraoix

Carlow Punks! said:
I think that plan for Seomra Spraoi if we ever got involved in doing night-time social things (gigs, movies, parties) would be that drugs would be out (not so much that we are anti-drugs, but its any easy tool to shut us down), no smoking, and we would discourage the promotion of the space as a predominaantly drinking-gaff. We hadn't drawn up a formal guidlines but we had agreed at meetings: no drinking cans outside, no heavy drinking culture with pissed teens asleep on the floor with their parents complaining to Joe Duffy the next morning, alot/ a majority of completely noalchohol events. People have Bohs and Porco Dio for all that

xSeomraSpraoix

honestly,I reckon if you were gonna do it and have all ages gigs they would have to be no alcohol. The drugs and smoking thing is a given. I just can't imagine the "outside world" understanding some people drinking a bit type of scenario. Having said that,I've had zero input and know very little of what goes on there so it's not for me to say. i'd just hate to see a few cans of beer fuck it up.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
honestly,I reckon if you were gonna do it and have all ages gigs they would have to be no alcohol. The drugs and smoking thing is a given. I just can't imagine the "outside world" understanding some people drinking a bit type of scenario. Having said that,I've had zero input and know very little of what goes on there so it's not for me to say. i'd just hate to see a few cans of beer fuck it up.

What I meant was, it was imagined most stuff would be alchohol free and all ages and would be promoted as such, but the place would not be 100% anti-alchohol, as in there would be periodically events where it was stipulated booze OK, but that heavy drinking would be discouraged, so to as not to make it easy to shut down and also get a rep as a hang-out-with-cans-and-do-fuck-all-else kind of gaff. There would be a clear distinction between the two. If ,after explaining, people cannot understand or respect those kinds of distinctions, and more importantly, the reasons that underlie them, then fuck them, their probably just joy-riders.

Anyway, this is all theoretical as we got kicked out on the first weekend we were starting to go public...:eek:

basta are trying to get a space in bray where we could operate a social centre and do gigs fortnightly to provide an income. We have ideas for what else we'd like to do with it (community outreach etc) but rent is so expensive. there was one space that was ideal but it was 30000 a year, the max we could afford would be 12,000.

After the Irish Times article last week the local paper (the Bray People) phoned me and asked could they do a spotlight section on Basta!. So 4 of us went down and did an interview and put a massive emphasis on needing a space with paddys hall being gone. The paper came out yesterday and aside from a few minor petty flaws they did exactly what we wanted. This was the headline "Basta! has been forced to leave St. Patricks Hall in Greystones due to Impending Re-Development". Just today we've already gotten an email from a woman offering to let us use their community hass in bray if we want.

Neighbours tend not to mind loud noise if its a) not too late and b) someone explains to them what is all about c)noone fucks with their gaf.

Dylan said:
basta are trying to get a space in bray where we could operate a social centre and do gigs fortnightly to provide an income. We have ideas for what else we'd like to do with it (community outreach etc) but rent is so expensive. there was one space that was ideal but it was 30000 a year, the max we could afford would be 12,000.

After the Irish Times article last week the local paper (the Bray People) phoned me and asked could they do a spotlight section on Basta!. So 4 of us went down and did an interview and put a massive emphasis on needing a space with paddys hall being gone. The paper came out yesterday and aside from a few minor petty flaws they did exactly what we wanted. This was the headline "Basta! has been forced to leave St. Patricks Hall in Greystones due to Impending Re-Development". Just today we've already gotten an email from a woman offering to let us use their community hass in bray if we want.

Neighbours tend not to mind loud noise if its a) not too late and b) someone explains to them what is all about c)noone fucks with their gaf.

that's good to hear, hope you get something sorted!

Best of luck with that Dylan.
Glad to see yer thinking of the community and trying to make it a part of Basta and visa versa...
Thats what its all about!.|..|

damien said:

acoustic gigs are good but you could already have them anywhere, in a field, whatever.

and i'm pretty happy with all the stuff i'm currently doing.

but of course i hate the fact that gigs are in pubs. having to spend tons on booze, being given out to for other people drinking cans and fucking up, having to end at closing time, not technically being allowed under 18s in*, it would be great to have our own venue. to think what we could do if we had giro's in dublin. but realistically we need to think of all the obsticles in our way from the very beginning so we have figure out if its possible to get over them.

*on the subject of all ages gig, etc. i definitly agree with what dylan said about the importance of these, because there have been so few young people coming to gigs over the past few years. anyone with ideas/suggestions on how to do all ages gigs in town will have my support and potential participation.

Gigs in an art space with a theatre licence.
Kids can go and adults can drink.Kids have to leave by law after the performance though so therein lies the hassle.

You can never seperate live music and alcohol, i know loads of music fans who wouldn't even countenance going to local gig if there wasen't a chance of getting pissed and all-ages are almost worse;dunno how many young fellas i've seen with nagin-shaped lumps in their crotch strolling into gigs.Seen gigs in arty spaces with theatre licences too;adults pinting,kids getting accustomed to 6 dutchie in the alleyway, translates into a lot of fucking grief for the people who make the effort.I know it's good to talk about it but is anything really gonna come of all this...i'd like to think so but i'm a bit wary

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back