Stars Of The Lid, Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh - National Concert Hall, 9th October (1 Viewer)

thats this thing

System_55_Product_Page.jpg

Edit: only 35 grand a pop

Moognificent

OK, keep notes and give us a compare'n'contrast on monday. trying to manage my expectations already.
yep, thats the idea.

I hadn't intended on seeing them twice. The UK dates were announced before the Dublin date and I really didn't want to miss them. Hence buying the Manchester ticket, fearing no Dublin date.

But, yes, it will be a useful exercise comparing the shows.

For the folk heading on Sunday
Public Interview, Sunday 9th October, 6pm
Adam Wiltzie, one half of the legendary ambient duo Stars Of The Lid will speak about his work and career with Irish Times music journalist Tony Clayton-Lea on Sunday evening at 6pm.
Tickets for the interview are free to ticketholders and can be booked by calling a member of the Box Office Team on 01 417 0000.

yep, thats the idea.

I hadn't intended on seeing them twice. The UK dates were announced before the Dublin date and I really didn't want to miss them. Hence buying the Manchester ticket, fearing no Dublin date.

But, yes, it will be a useful exercise comparing the shows.
i was on the triskel website earlier, tempted. dodgy car is really the only thing keeping me away.

tony clayton-lea is a cloth-eared, grade-one cunt. love to know what genius thought he'd be right for the job.

ETA: might still go. bring some proper questions.
Did you go for the Q&A? I couldn't make it.

Terrific performance, on a par with the total masterpiece I saw them do in Boston about a year after the Whelans show here. Though, not sure I really noticed the fancy Moog during most of the gig. I mean, I noticed it as I'm not blind but in terms of sound I wasn't really hearing any elements that didn't sound like either of the two lads and their guitars/keyboards. I will say it was really fucking loud in places, almost painful. Not something I'd expect from them, I'm obviously listening to the albums on too low a volume!

Spotted @scutter a few seats down from me but wasn't able to catch him to say hello.

Did you go for the Q&A? I couldn't make it.

Terrific performance, on a par with the total masterpiece I saw them do in Boston about a year after the Whelans show here. Though, not sure I really noticed the fancy Moog during most of the gig. I mean, I noticed it as I'm not blind but in terms of sound I wasn't really hearing any elements that didn't sound like either of the two lads and their guitars/keyboards. I will say it was really fucking loud in places, almost painful. Not something I'd expect from them, I'm obviously listening to the albums on too low a volume!

Spotted @scutter a few seats down from me but wasn't able to catch him to say hello.

yep, saw you down the row alright. I don't think I'd have been able to after the show. I was in a kind of trance that I've barely snapped out of, even now.

I enjoyed last night more than the show I saw last week. I had a feeling I would. Being in the NCH the sound was almost certainly going to be way better.

Not that it was bad at the show in Manchester. It actually felt like a completely different kind of gig. That venue was about the size of the button factory, and it was dark and a bit grubby. That lends itself to an ambience of its own, and its different from the bright, spacious, airy feel of the NCH.

Actually when the support act was on last wednesday (unfeasibly dull - some lad sitting at a laptop), I couldn't take my eyes off the lights on the Moog. It wasn't as noticeable last night, because the venue is much brighter, and I guess, cos I was sitting up the front it wasn't directly in my line of sight.

My one worry was that the visuals wouldn't work as well last night in the bigger venue. But they were great. Even looking at some of the pics people have been sticking up on social media, it looks really impressive. I sincerely hope dry ice isn't bad for you cos I've had a double-dose of it now.

The performance was a full-on assault of the senses. 'Requiem For Dying Mothers' absolutely kills me. I can barely function after hearing it. What followed was intense. It was like kicking the crap out of someone til they can no longer stand, then beating the absolute crap out of them again, but in a good way.

I'm exhausted.

Picked up a copy of The Ballasted Orchestra on vinyl last night. I tried getting it a while back and wasn't able to locate a copy. Was pricy enough, actually (30 lids). On wednesday I asked the merch lad (he was doing roadie last night) if they'd much merch and would it be safe to wait til sunday to get a copy of 'Tired Sounds'. He was humming and hawing and couldn't guarantee it (they'd a gig every night between). So I said fuck it, and bought it. Its a triple vinyl and cost £30 sterling. And I noticed they had none there last night. So WIN. The 40 euro vinyls (sorry @pete) were £30 sterling and the 30 euro vinyls were £20 sterling so the prices last night were a bit of a rip (Brits out).

That was fantastic, I can't see anything topping that for a while! Hard to put it all into words, really, an extremely intense experience.

Fair play to the projectionist dude, that was a cracking job. I felt the walls were dissolving around me at several stages during the show.

10/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back