Squarehead - 'Yeah Nothing' (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I got tired of waiting for them to decouple the album from the t-shirt so I went and got this on bandcamp the other day (I still want a physical copy though).

anyway, its great. But thats to be expected. I already knew most of the songs. Yes, its not anything new but it strikes me as a take on a retro-sound that comes across as being really fresh. And the songs are really short, as all pop-songs should be IMO.

I look forward to the album launch gig.

and the sunday times are a pack of gobshites giving this a bad review. Gobshites.

bland, nothing new, etc, etc. It moreso sounded like someone with something against the band rather than their music. They gave it 2 stars out of 5.

like I say, I'll try and type it out later. It probably is online (I saw a link to album reviews) but you need a subscription to access it.

I don't really like this album myself. It's nice to see some Irish bands get a bit of press though and everyone else seems to like it so FAIR PLAY.

from the Sunday Times;

There is an air of expectation about Squarehead, a three-piece garage-pop outfit, not least because Yeah Nothing is released on the respectable Richter Collective, a label which has sniffed out some Ireland's worthiest alternative acts including The Redneck Manifesto and ASIWYFA. This latest signing, however, is not one of its better decisions. Juvenile and hurried, Yeah Nothing is a disappointing pop spread that lack substance or style. The borrowed surf-rock influences of the Beach Boys fail to inject life into this pop-pastiche, precariously propped up by weak vocals and mediocre musicians. Think drizzly Dublin rather than sun-drenched California. The production is largely underwhelming too. Its not hip to be Squarehead just yet.

SM

sounds like someone with a personal agenda to me, especially the comment about 'mediocre musicians'.

They are certainly not "mediocre musicians". I am the opposite of the Sunday Times reviewer. I like this better than almost anything else on Richter ...

siobhan-maguire.jpg

still would.

Ha, yeah that review came across as fairly bitter or something. It's terribly written aswell, you'd wonder how much music some reviewers listen too. They're clearly not poor musicians, there's a definite style there and, 'borrowed surf-rock influences of the Beach Boys'.. yawn. Siobhan Maguire can stick her lazy, clichéd writing up her hole. I think the production is a nice fit with the tunes, which I quite like. Might head in tomorrow.

Ha, yeah that review came across as fairly bitter or something. It's terribly written aswell, you'd wonder how much music some reviewers listen too. They're clearly not poor musicians, there's a definite style there and, 'borrowed surf-rock influences of the Beach Boys'.. yawn. Siobhan Maguire can stick her lazy, clichéd writing up her hole. I think the production is a nice fit with the tunes, which I quite like. Might head in tomorrow.

I left out the word 'of' in one of the sentences. That might make it better written

Plus she used the term 'pop-pastiche'. Impressive

All her other articles seem to be about the property crisis.

I left out the word 'of' in one of the sentences. That might make it better written
I'm confused.. you wrote the article or whut?

Plus she used the term 'pop-pastiche'. Impressive

Impressive use of hyphens in the review alright.

You've to pay for the Sunday Times online which is a bit crap, they surely do know how to make money those Murdochs.

I do love this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Apologies. I've a fairly short, tangent-pocked attention span today. Which is somewhat related to the album title at least.

*check out me hyphenating!*

i remember seeing the squareheads live and they reminded me of grunge a lot. way more raw live in my memory, a bit like the song circle on the record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back