Spacemen 3 or Loop? (2 Viewers)

Just listened to Loop for probably the first time there they're great. which album should i Buy? and how did I not hear them til now? did they sell their publishing rights to a shady cunt who buried their back cat under his mothers corpse or something? or am i just a cunt?

A Gilded Eternity
.|..|

I have enjoyed both Loop and Spacemen 3 records over the years but was always a little perplexed of the attention given to the latter mob. Take the two albums that came out in the same period c 1989 / 1990 - Playing With Fire vs A Gilded Eternity. Watch that battle to see Loop’s muscle and weight win out. Fade Out was unfairly criticised by the NME at the time and a quick listen to the remaster confirms that they got it badly wrong.

Loop were better live too.

yep, the fade out remaster really brings it out, by the time they made arc light/a guilded eternity they had mutes cash behind them so could afford to record/master & press things right - lps across two disks @ 45 for ultimate sound quality, etc..

but playing with fire slays it. loop had one trick that they did very well, sp3 were much more varied and pwf shows this well imho. main went on to do more varied & interesting stuff..

also think that sp3 were wayyy better live.

Spacemen 3, a group out of time, have now left Loop looking as astral and cosmic as a No 73 bus.", Chris Roberts, (Melody Maker)

No, no, no, no, no.

This is really a nested question:-

Spectrum vs. Spirtualised

No, no, no, no, no. You've got it wrong:

Experimental Audio Research vs Spiritualised is the real question. I was sucked in by Spiritualized first album, but it was EAR all the way after that...

Well it looks like about 9-3 to Spacemen 3. I also prefer them, way more stings to their bow and incredible orchestration. Plus, when they put their feet on the pedals they could blast it the hardest. Love Loop too mind.
Playing with Fire for me.

what was the best UK album of the late 80's

talk_talk_-_spirit_of_eden_cover.jpg

new loop album arrived in the post today - first in over 30 years! Loop - Sonancy. on first listen i have to say (as a loop fan) it's pretty decent. it's definitely loop. Penumbra II stands out for me - bit of a rocket usa feel to it. fingers crossed they tour over here with it

new loop album arrived in the post today - first in over 30 years! Loop - Sonancy. on first listen i have to say (as a loop fan) it's pretty decent. it's definitely loop. Penumbra II stands out for me - bit of a rocket usa feel to it. fingers crossed they tour over here with it

The Heads rhythm section too so can't go too far wrong. Must actually pick it up.

I see they’ve bought in to the ‘super limited, members only, 220 gram, blood of a virgin’ vinyl capitalism of the age.

I saw a LOOP CD for sale in a grocery shop in a village in Tipperary in the 2000's.
the also had a Dee Dee Ramone CD and classical stuff like Bela Bartok.

I got DVDs of Shogun Assassin and Carnival of Souls there too.

To answer the question put forward in the thread, Spacemen 3 have some of my favourite songs but Loop were more consistently brilliant for me. The Spacemen 3 record I listen to most is Dreamweapon but I cycle through the Loop albums I have a lot.

i'd have to go with spacemen 3 although i was/am a massive loop fan. s3's perfect prescription lp is a timeless classic, and i'm very fond of playing with fire too. loop's a guilded eternity is my favourite of theirs - a band that got better as the went on. love both bands

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back