SOUNDTRACK 08 - 02.06: Bon Iver & support tba (1 Viewer)

miguel_myriad

MONDAY JUNE 2nd

Bon Iver

+ Support TBA

CrawDaddy. Doors 8pm. Tickets €15

Soundtrack 08 brings one of the hottest acts at this year’s South By SouthWest festival to Dublin for their debut show. Signed to 4AD (Beirut, TV on the Radio), Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver penned and recorded his debut album in that lonely bastion of musical integrity, the log cabin, and like Ray Lamontagne before him, has emerged with something very special indeed. Iver's debut has been described as “the kind of haunting, stripped back snapshot on a person's soul that leaves a lasting, at times uncomfortable impression.” (Music Week)
For Emma's tracks consist of thick layers draped in lush choral walls, with rarely more than an ancient acoustic guitar or the occasional bass drum providing structure. Vernon sings the majority of the record in falsetto, which painfully expresses the meanings behind its overt, yet strangely entangled words. This newfound vocal path acts as each song's main character and source of melody.

Despite its complexity, the record was created entirely by Vernon with nothing more than a few microphones and some aged recording equipment. This homemade aspect shows itself in sections as creaks and accidentals are exposed in the folds of the songs, but is hidden well by the highly impressive and almost orchestral sound that Vernon managed to produce by his lonesome, within the creaky skeleton of his father's cabin.
http://www.myspace.com/boniver

Spam or whatever Bon Iver is fucking brilliant. I've been listening to a few bootlegs of a tour he did in February and they sound amazing, it's much edgier and noiser than the record, he pulls all sorts of wannabe Nels Cline stuff out of the bag.

Can't wait.

Spam or whatever Bon Iver is fucking brilliant. I've been listening to a few bootlegs of a tour he did in February and they sound amazing, it's much edgier and noiser than the record, he pulls all sorts of wannabe Nels Cline stuff out of the bag.

Can't wait.
Ooh I'd like to hear the live stuff. Myself and Bonsai Superstar were in Rough Trade last month and started chatting to the guy working there, I asked him what stuff he'd recommend and he played Bon Iver for us. I wasn't hugely blown away at first but I do want to get my hands on the album and I suspect he will get fairly massive.
Let's hope he's not the new Jose Gonzalez :p

For Emma is an unreal album. best i've heard in an age. Anyone know if there will be any other irish dates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back