Songwriting (1 Viewer)

If we come up with a name that sounds ironic enough - something like "writers of rubbish songs" and call our albums stuff like "don't buy this, you won't understand it" we could make a fortune though.

Overly pretentious on purpose! One of my songs is called, 'Cold mutton has ruined many a happy family'...so we are nearly there.

Neil Young was once asked "what do you do if you can't write a song" he said "cut the grass, go to the shops, do something else..." I thought this was brilliant, treating a dry spell as a chance to catch up o the mundane shit, rather then freaking out about "writers block" like a dork. Yay Neil.

Its hard not to let it wreck yer buzz though innit.

Do you write songs?
Yes.

How often do you write?
I get waves of writing where i'll write a lot and then a couple of weeks might go by without working on anything new

How do you write?
I watch movies with the sound off and write my own soundtrack.​

Do you ever collaborate?
Yes. It tends to work best if i have the bones of the song written and then by workin with the guys let it evolve​

Do you chuck songs out?
all the time.. 9 times out of 10​

Do you need to play a song to someone before it feels real? ie do you bounce them off people?
yeah i'll play it to them without saying anything and see if it gets a reaction​

How important do you think it is? Like, if you didn't do it, would it matter?
more important than anything​

What do you write on (instrument)
Synth​

Do you come up with music first or words?
Music​

For folks who do the whole non-song thing, what's your process for that?
Look at everything as waves of sound and try and think of the synth as a big octopus​

Overly pretentious on purpose! One of my songs is called, 'Cold mutton has ruined many a happy family'...so we are nearly there.

Better and better, with my 'In search of poetic perfection' and 'i like cold coffee' we're over half way to our first EP.

We had Lidl lamb and mutton grillsteaks for dinner last night(I cooked)and there was nearly a happy home scuppered right there.True story.It was a manky dinner.You're defo onto a good thing.The punters love that kitchen sink stuff.GO FOR IT!

Cool. A topic that I can be self obsessed about has got me posting on thumped again.

Do you write songs?
Yes

How often do you write?
Most weeks I finish a couple of songs.

How do you write?
Arsing around on a guitar or piano or singing to myself. When something starts to work it might stay in my head for a day, a week, a month or a year, or sometimes ten years. I usually can't do anything with it till I figure out what it's about. When I know that I'm happy to develop the structure. When i have a structure I'll sit down at the laptop and write as many verses as I can. Some time later I'll mix and match to get the best combinations. On the other hand sometimes the whole song comes out in one go. About once a year I'll write my favourite song of the year in less than ten minutes.

Do you ever collaborate?
Sometimes I make things with other people's discarded riffs. But I don't collaborate much these days.

Do you chuck songs out?
All the time. Most albums I've done is distilled down from at least fifty songs (I know that's kind of pathetic but I have to work real hard to get good stuff)

Do you need to play a song to someone before it feels real? ie do you bounce them off people?
Not really - but one thing I found was the less I play on something the more objective I could be and the more like a real song it seems. In my first band I played most of the geetars most of the keys and most of the vox. More recently I prefer other people to play more... Makes it easier for me to judge the song independently.

I've written every week since i was about 15 so I imagine I'd miss it.

Guitar, piano. I love singing accapella nowadays - so I write when driving the car or doing the dishes a lot.

The distinction I make between songwriting and noodling around is that moment when some words and a piece of music gell. When that happens the songwriting begins and the noodling stops. So both together initially and then I work on them separately.

Surprisingly similar to how I write songs with words - tis all about mood and narrative drive instead of actual words. Used to write instrumental stuff by jamming with my old bands, and I usually used to HATE the results. I'm very sceptical about jamming as a way of getting good music together these days... but it seems to work for some people.

Thread for songwriting

Do you write songs?
yep

How often do you write?
nothing nothing nothing loads nothing nothing

How do you write?
make up riff, play into recording device while finishing it off in my head. lay tracks over it including drums. maybe re-record the whole thing from the drums up after. make up and record lyric one line at a time.

Do you ever collaborate?
not really

Do you chuck songs out?
I file them not chuck out.

no

It's important to have an artistic outlet.

Fender strat mostly

I'll have an idea for a song floating around for ages, when the right riff comes along I'll fill out that idea.

Probably pretty much the same.

About once a year I'll write my favourite song of the year in less than ten minutes. ]

Ha!, while I'm working on a song it will be in my head ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I can't get to sleep because I'm going over it again and again. It will be the best song in the world. Then when I'm happy I've captured it, I will hardly think of it again.

Ha!, while I'm working on a song it will be in my head ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I can't get to sleep because I'm going over it again and again. It will be the best song in the world. Then when I'm happy I've captured it, I will hardly think of it again.

Oh there's nothing like that sobring moment when your realise that one of your songs is a bit of a fool. I remember many days eightracking, grooming and meticulously arranging some freshly laid turd that I thought was the son of God. I tend to give songs a bit of space now before working really hard on them.

yeah that always happens to me, not that I write songs, I make noises using Reason, think they sound class at 4am, convert to mp3, play it on a friends CD player or computer and recoil in mortification..

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT!!!

I'm working on one now called 'maple drive alive'...at the moment it's like totally michael mayer mating with mozart with some fucking sick hip hop shit over the top...

tomorrow it will sound like a foundation level transition year music project

How often do you write?
Very rarely. Everytime I pick up the guitar, if I don't come up with a new idea that I think is something cool within seconds, I put it down in disgust. Could be weeks before I pick it up again.

same as that, i find it very frustrating. i used to be able to write a song whenever i wanted - they'd all be shite but at least they were started and completed and forgotten. these days i pick up the guitar and start doodling on it, if i hit on a riff i'll keep playing it for a while and maybe get chords for a chorus or change and try and think of an opening line. once i get a first line or two then the rest will usually follow very quickly but if that doesnt happen within minutes then i just scrap the whole idea and sulk and get frustrated that good riffs and things are going out the window. i wrote a few in 2002, none in 2003 and one each in 04, 05, and 06 - none so far this year! those last three were my best yet though, i expect to start recording the new album in 2011

instrumentals are different - theyre just little experiments, tinkering with sounds and ideas and recording as you go. songs with lyrics and choruses are harder and tend to mean more to me.

Do you write songs?
Kind of. Problem is they have no lyrics. I'm way out of practice writing lyrics and being in a band with Snakybus is intimidating for lyric writing but that's no excuse and I want to get back into it.

How often do you write?
I write lot's of half tunes and every couple of months a fully formed song (minus lyrics) appears.

How do you write?
Like Pantone said, I like to find a little chord change that's slightly unexpected. I can listen to the most average song in the world but if there is one little unexpected chord change, I'm intrigued

Do you ever collaborate?
In Settler we did. I did the music for Blatant Truth and Snakybus wrote the lyrics and did a little arranging and I liked that process. Also gave the music of I Know I've Been Good to Derek and he did the lyrics. I now realise that I am speaking as if most of you know these songs!

Do you chuck songs out?
They're on my computer and that's where they'll stay!

Not really. If I like it, that's enough.

Very important but I wouldn't expect it to matter to anyone other than me.

Keyboard. Also guitar.

Just music but I'm planning on fixing that cos I've become a tiny bit more confident with singing recently.

Thread for songwriting

I am remarkably uncreative for someone who's big into The Orts in most of their forms (two arts degrees, been involved in playing and writing about music for the bones of a decade, and suchlike). I have written about two riffs in my entire life. I've been writing lyrics for the last year or so but I find it very hit and miss and I hate showing them to people. I could never do vocals in a band where you can hear all the words, even if I could carry a tune in a bucket.

I am still convinced that I am going to be the next Kathleen Hanna someday though. I'm going to be one of those late starter types. And one of those people who miraculously develop a singing voice at the age of 40.

Songwriting
Do you write songs? yes

How often do you write? a few times a week, ideally daily

How do you write? pick up guitar and play and start muttering

Do you ever collaborate? rarely, ideally more

Do you chuck songs out? if i don't remember them, or they don't keep popping up in my head, they've been chucked

Do you need to play a song to someone before it feels real? ie do you bounce them off people? - no

How important do you think it is? Like, if you didn't do it, would it matter? i know when something is finished when I finish playing it and there isn't a gnawing sense of something being missing

What do you write on (instrument) guitar, very occasionall on keyboards

Do you come up with music first or words? both parralell to each other, sometimes dip into notebooks for words or tapes for chord changes

GROOM single/EP "Love Me Aimlessly" out now. Watch the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back