Songwriting (1 Viewer)

Well like I said, it's not the worlds greatest song. Only so many people are going to be interested in the songwriting process behind a song he didn't deem good enough to actually release.

Probably, people who worked with him in the 80's say he would write 365 songs a year no problem. I don't think it's a conscious 'must write a song every day' thing though, it's just what he does. Sure he recorded the entire of Sheila E's second album while on the Purple Rain tour, recording after the shows and on days off. Good album it is as well.

always meant to post on this thread...

Do you write songs?
yes, kinda. i come up with music. i have real difficulty coming up with lyrics and it drives me spare. if anybody would like to share lyric writing tips i'd really appriciate it. a consequence of this is that lyrics are ALWAYS an afterthought, and loads of my songs end up being verse chorus verse chorus end, purely beucase i can't think of anything else to do.

How often do you write?
i go through patches of coming up with loads of stuff, then patches where there's nothing and i just play aimlessly. i've come to the conclusion that this is becuase i'm in bands with songwriters i really like, and it makes me lazy as much as it inspires me. while spending a year in canada a while back i started a band and wrote loads of songs, mainly becuase i was the songwriter in the band. it was like i was 16 again. some of these tunes are still being mined by the mound.

How do you write?
fuck around, something appears. if i really like it i might even nail down a basic structure and record it. recently i've been using the iphone to quickly save ideas. i try to play every day or every other day, but thats not always possible.

Do you ever collaborate?
yes. my songs rarely arrive at a rehearsal fully formed, so input form other persons is frequently solicited and always welcomed. it generally takes quite a while to sort out my songs. i love playing with people and i'd like to collaborate with some new folk in the future if time allows. i guess one of the advantages of not really writing fully formed songs is that i always benefit form the imput of others. i like suggesting things for other peoples songs too.

Do you chuck songs out?
sort of, i've been known to abandon songs and bits of music, but i generally return to them.

Do you need to play a song to someone before it feels real? ie do you bounce them off people?
nope.

How important do you think it is? Like, if you didn't do it, would it matter?
this is something i've been thinking about recently as i've felt the need of a musical shake up. who cares about the music i play? and does it matter if they do, and i've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't, i just like playing music, even if its on my own or at a reheasal space. that being said, playing gigs can be a great laugh.

What do you write on (instrument)
guitar. i have a few, but generally my trusty tele spews out the most quality bits. i have done that thing where you call yourself and hum an idea to your voicemail. sometimes it's been a keeper, but just as often it's shit. cool stuff often comes to me while cycling to work, which is akward.

Do you come up with music first or words?
what words?

Do you write songs?
Yes

How often do you write?

Everyday, pretty much.

How do you write?
In a million different ways, though often with a guitar or in front of my computer.

Do you ever collaborate?
Yep.

Do you chuck songs out?

I only keep about 1 in 3-4

Do you need to play a song to someone before it feels real? ie do you bounce them off people?
Two questions there. So, No and yes.

To whom? It would certainly matter to me and to a few others that are expecting me to continue to write material.

Guitar, bass, synth, computer, piano or just with a piece of paper or a micro-recorder.

Most often music, but lyrics first about 20% of the time.

Do you write songs?
Yes, but rarely on paper.

How often do you write?

Always searching inside for a flavour so i guess most days.

How do you write?
lyric to memory, melody and tone to 'voice recorder' on me mobile.
Do you ever collaborate?
fear of a successful outcome to collaborating prevents me from taking up some tantalizing opportunities.

Do you chuck songs out?

yes

not since i was 13

its my spinning totem

gtr

neither get fully cooked before adding the other....mostly i free-form ad-lib and breath meaning into the mewling creature before sobering from the fleeting revelry hoping i can live up to the plan.

Here's my two cents I was about to go on a trollfest but then thought better of it.

Do you write songs?
Sculpt songs, songs are sculptures you pick and bash away at a vague idea like you mould clay or chisel marbel. Or more accurately like some kind of installation using found objects. The brain makes it a house of cards. Forget a bit and it collapses instantly. My brain has been unravelling since my late teens so I have many ruined decks. Recorded music is like a photograph of these sculptures sometimes the exposure is wrong and sometimes you just can't frame it so all the parts sit together as they should.

How often do you write?
As often as needs be. Could be five times a day could be a month before the time is right. I try to practice a bit now because time creeps its petty pace and sucks the life out of your fingers. Forcing it is like trying to sleep away insomnia. I had writers block for a full year once. I was about to quit when I wrote my favourite song i've ever done. It has 2 chords in it.

How do you write?
play one bit over and over for hours then add to it as things happen. Forget bits. lose interest in others. Whatever I can still play at the end is the song. When you're "there" you forget that your own hands are making the sounds.

Do you ever collaborate?
Yes, it's best when you can switch from driver to passenger seat with someone, if one person leads then someone is following which isn't so much collaborating as covert dictating if a jam is working people wrestle control from each other equally covertly, if eventually everyone is driving but not nessisarily in the same direction it feels like you're a real musician. This is something you can last forever on. Often though from a song point of view it can still takes one dictator to structure things into a song (Format isn't the right word) sometimes democracy is the death of invention.

Do you chuck songs out?
50% chuck out rate. 49% forget rate (my brain is severly badly wired) Not always because something is bad as such just too easy. The hard things are the most attractive to work on, to sculpt from, at the recording a demo stage once the hard one is out of the way simpler things flow out like the second ride in a one night stand. Easier and ultimately more satisfying.

That would be like asking someone to judge how your children will turn out as adults while they're standing staring into their big blue eyes. I couldn't expect someone to be absolutely honest in that circumstance or to stand by a first impression of a half finished thing. I shy away from being a sounding board to folks as much as possible for this same reason. You could accidentally abort something really great by yawning or moving your eyes in the wrong way.

In the history of the world nothing I will ever do will matter. I write and take photographs but music is more satisfying. (from filling this thing in and describing music visually in most of the answers I've learned something about where by head is, perhaps a reverse synthesia going on, you learn something new every day) Like wanking. I'd notice if I didn't for a few days. Like wanking I don't have much opinion about what is produced once it's done. Songs aren't prescious. They come and go.

Guitar is the only thing I can "play" but you can write a song on a piece of wood with a chopstick when you're on form.

Music then gibberish.

That concludes Washingcattles one earnest post. I'm off to the horn thread to ogle.

username: washingcattle is usually a comedic poster who relentlessly pursues the funny and absurd.

Yet in the previous post he was being serious.

username: I is John saw comedy value in de-repping someone for their first earnest post but didn't actually want to go ahead with it because he generally appreciates such posts.

Thus, he made reference to de-repping without actually doing it.

Humour was made!

Or so he thought.

If username shneaky 6pack wasnt sober right now he'd prolly butt in and make an arse of himself at this juncture...,.

I absolutely LOVE that description of washingcattle, I is John. I want it on a shirt, for I am that sort of fan. I'd rep you both but I'm not allowed.

Back to songwriting. Anyone ever set themselves songwriting tasks? I do. Sometimes they're not even deliberate tasks, others are. I recently set myself some genre tasks, although I only got around to doing two (pop and over-earnest-bonjovi/springsteen-type) . I've also been writing songs with lesser tasks, like "a ska-like guitar line" or "a made up story" or even "longer than usual".
Good fun and gives you a kick when you might need it.

I've done something similar where I made myself write on guitar in something close to hardcore but it's something I want to do with a band so not sure if it's what you mean. Also been trying to write more and more lyrics, mostly just choruses that are catchy and tie together what the singer/main lyric writer has in the verses. Still haven't managed to flesh out a full song lyric wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back