Songs from Auto-toon (1 Viewer)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
Just listening to some suckas playing on RTE's peerless 'Songs from some Room' thing.. I could swear I'm hearing some autotune on the vocals.
I'm not MAD surprised, but still, it's kinda unexpected on a show like that. Mehh.

GrRrrrR said:
Just listening to some suckas playing on RTE's peerless 'Songs from some Room' thing.. I could swear I'm hearing some autotune on the vocals.
I'm not MAD surprised, but still, it's kinda unexpected on a show like that. Mehh.

Do you think they use it when they play live or they just record it all and then mix it later so that it might as well not be live?

I also dislike the way tg4 put reverb on all their trad sessions. nonsense.

GrRrrrR said:

If it's Autamata you're referring to this is quite possible. I know for a fact that there's quite a lot of Post done on the show which includes "enhancements" such as overdubs and a wee bit of tuning here and there. I doubt if the tuning is done live as the Antares rack mounted version of their abomination is quite unpredictable and can lead to embarassment on Milli Vanilli levels.

Other Voices, indeed.

Yeah, you'd have to be insane to try it live. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I always think that if you can hear the antares, don't-fuckin-use-it.

kraster said:
I know for a fact that there's quite a lot of Post done on the show which includes "enhancements" such as overdubs and a wee bit of tuning here and there.

It's funny, RTE can't handle live sound at all, Song From a Room, sounds like folk miming, or like you say it's been treated a bit. It don't sound live.

The flip side is the consitently awful live sound on the Late Late, and now Ryan Tubridiy, the sound for those Camenbert Fuckers is really really woeful... sounds like everything is being put thru on microphone and them brick wall limited with a realease time of 2 minutes

i.e. Sax solo kicks in, enitre backingn track drops out, sax cuts out, seconds later backing track returns to normal...

:confused:

Autotune is a dreadful thing. It turns out of tune talentless celeb wannabes into
in tune celeb wannabes. On vocals it doesn't handle formants too well and tends to obliterate the harmonic content of the singers voice leaving it sound like a sawtooth wave.

It's makes everyone sound the same because it gets rid of the stuff that makes each voice unique. There's definitely more abuse than use of it.

RTE's continuing level of ineptitude and lack of professionalism in their sound department doesn't surprise me at all, after all they're the company that threw out their Neve 1083 console and replaced it with a Soundcraft. They fucked it in a skip and a friend of me da's was lucky enough to salvage 10 channels for himself . That's about 35,000 worth of stuff found in a skip.
Nice.

kraster said:
If it's Autamata you're referring to this is quite possible. I know for a fact that there's quite a lot of Post done on the show which includes "enhancements" such as overdubs and a wee bit of tuning here and there. I doubt if the tuning is done live as the Antares rack mounted version of their abomination is quite unpredictable and can lead to embarassment on Milli Vanilli levels.

Other Voices, indeed.

Get out of here and get to hell. Neither myself nor Sarah have any need of auto-tune. And if you don't believe me I'll come round your house when you're asleep and burst your goddamn ear-drums with my nature-tuned vocalisations! Friends, back me up here...

Here's a thought: if Autotune is a way of cheating the voice, does that mean a car is a way of cheating the legs?

To elaborate, it seems to me that Autotune is a technology called for by a certain musical system, a system which demands perfect tuning. In the same way, most of our industries call for motorised i.e. accelerated transport (and all of its attendant geopolitical repercussions). There is a logic there and that logic is not personal: it is systemic. I'm not the first to note the parallel between the system of western musical theory and the system of industrial capitalism.

Many people appreciate the imperfect tuning of a natural voice, just as a lot of people would prefer to walk, if they had the choice (which they sometimes do). So Autotune is no more responsible for the demand for perfect tuning than a Peugeot 306 is responsible for the war in Iraq.

FancyGoods said:
it's still cheating though.

Anne OMalley said:
No. Nor could I imagine Joy Division without reverb units.

Point is, few artists like Curtis, Terry Hall, Robert Smith etc (anyone with a destinctive but not perfect voice) would stand a chance of getting a record deal today.
That's the one thing that bothers me about current pop music and the perfection involved in it.

Anne OMalley said:
Here's a thought: if Autotune is a way of cheating the voice, does that mean a car is a way of cheating the legs?

no no it's more like applying for a job as a chauffer when you can't drive.

Think of it like this:

Fancy's right.

has anyone ever heard of a band caleld Automata?
I'd say they definetly use autotune. what does everyone else think?

I'd definetly say they do. deffo.

My point was simply that there's no point in blaming the technology. But yes, I agree in one way: voices with character are not what the majors are promoting these days (with some notable exceptions).

And that fact is indeed irritating up to a point. But, on the other hand, if you want to find such voices, they are out there - and probably in greater numbers than ever. And there's not much mystery about that: if people genuinely want to find voices of character, they can and will. Those who don't will make do with the tasteless morsels that are thrown their way by major label marketing efforts.

So great music is out there - no question about it. And how different this situation is from the pre-Internet days. When I look back on the dark days of my teenage years in the 1980s, where 6 of us would gather in someone's house to listen to one of four copies of a Big Black EP that had found its way to Dublin, I shudder. (Not that that situation didn't give rise to its own pleasures but that's beside the point. I'm sure people enjoyed butter that bit more during WW2 as well...)

The industry is more open than ever in some crucial respects, especially technical ones - a fact attested to by the existence of this very forum on home recording. That relative openness goes a long way toward explaining the paranoid reaction of the majors to what they perceive to be threatening initiatives from fans e.g. filesharing.

aoboa said:
Point is, few artists like Curtis, Terry Hall, Robert Smith etc (anyone with a destinctive but not perfect voice) would stand a chance of getting a record deal today.
That's the one thing that bothers me about current pop music and the perfection involved in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back