Someone give me a good reason... (2 Viewers)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
...why I shouldn't go back to only registered users being able to post messages?

Because I can't think of one.

cos it takes away half the postings and the fun of signing in as you.oh to be anonymous!

so we don't have to suffer bombardments like yesterdays from the DundalkIT? lads trying to wind us up (and succeeding godammit).

also if people have to log in they are more likely to engage brain first and write something sensible otherwise they wouldn't go through the hassle of loggin in? so we'll get less stuff about what matt from TRM wears...

no! no! no!

keep the anonymity! more posts = more fun for everyone! brains will still be engaged! pleeeeezzzzzee!!!!!!!!

plus it's an awful hassle signing in when you're on shitty college computers...

plus i care deeply about matt's clothes...

plus it makes the whole place more interesting...

keep us anonymous! it's not like you don't already know who i am anyway!

i have no name...
it was forgotten on a bender in 94......
all i had was this slip of paper with this name on it.....
i've since rebuilt my life around this identity....
to find my real name and have others knowing it would surely shatter the fickle reality i have constructed for myself....
although i think i was an engineer....
how i got into the flower arrangement game is anybodies guess......
oh yeah...loggin on rocks...it's the most fun it get all day.....

hey hey, pete only asked us for a good reason to bring logging-in back, so i gave him some... he wasn't asking for opinions - we did that one last week :p

sir grouchmonger i agree that things are more interesting when people don't engage brains although it's starting to become more like a (gasp) chat room.

It's always been like a chat-room. Anyone here wanna PM a 26 year old horny stud? No fat chicks.

In keeping with the call for declaration of realy identity, my name is .....gasp......Vinnie!!! Although my Mother calls me Vincent when I'm in trouble.

Does it matter? As a MAC user, I had terrible problems using the login, through a number of different browsers. And given crazy borwser stuff, this problem changed character on a near daily basis. Whereas the lack of login means I can post as normal, whilst using the same name as always. So what if people post anonymously? Its interesting when people use the same name all the time, anonymous or not, because you gradually get a sense of their character (or their typing character?!!), which makes it all the nicer.

Thats my two cents. But dont make me angry...you wont like me when Im angry.

My mother calls me Sii-maaaaaaaaaaaan when Im in trouble. Thats much better than Vincent.

this could be a stupid question but..
How about optional logging on?
you can log in if you want to feel secure in your own name. everyone else is given the name Guest, that way if u wanna pretend to be someone else or make a serious thoughtful post your going to have to be convincing.

ermm I think people are confusing anonymity with logging in

You can register a user name and not give away any personal details - all you need is a valid email address - hotmail even - so there's no loss of privacy or anonymity. That's what 90% of the 250+ people who registered have done so far.

What logging in does do is make it harder for people to post multiple messages under different nicknames. It also gives history / continuity - you can see a persons posting history, which you can't do if the messages have been posted without logging in - even if they use "their" nickname....

Plus, registering means you can do loads of FUN extra stuff. Like correcting your typos. Or the private message function. And stuff. Look at all those FUN icons under my name. Wow.

Now I know that some people have problems with the log in - it seems to fall over with the cookies and stuff on a handful of machines, but i'm pretty sure we can work that out though.

No, really.

actually i see, that this happens already
doh
but you could still de-priviligize guests by calling them Guests

Daveor (01-02-2001 01:40 p.m.):
this could be a stupid question but..
How about optional logging on?
you can log in if you want to feel secure in your own name. everyone else is given the name Guest, that way if u wanna pretend to be someone else or make a serious thoughtful post your going to have to be convincing.

That's the way they do it on www.slashdot.org where everyone is referred to as Anonymous Coward unless they log in. I'll look into it, but i dunno if it's possible with this software.

you score 4 (insightful)

(that's a slashdot reference for all you linux geeks out there)

i'm on a mac (go apple!!!) and it's no bother logging in......
i think that logging in and preventing anon posting has one primary advantage and that is the kind of sense of a community.....
even if we think our little group is populated by weirdos and losers (not saying that like) but you still get to know the posters (well sort of)..
i mean we all know cormy + spudmonkey are kids, johnny s legend man and kerror listen to music that hermits in albania make with the genitals of sheep, raygun, stephen (whose sig should be have you ever tried putting on a gig :)) etc put on gigs, hector grey is cool blah blah blah...
since i have no friends to speak of i rely only on thumped for any degree of non work related social interaction....
so in conclusion logging in is as sad as i am....

For some strange reason I can't remember if my password is BMrr15E, BMW520, MRBIPoll or whatever the hell its supposed to be..

If it goes back to registered posting only, would it be possible to personalise your password? (I had my password saved in hotmail but I can't get into hotmail now)

there's an option to have your password mailed to you if you've forgotten it (http://thumped.com/cgi-bin/ub22/UltraBoard.cgi?action=RetrievePassword) on the login screen

then you can click the "profile" link and change your password.

Someone give me a good reason with a modern girl

You could always personalise your password.

Pete, could you put Jim's post on the intro page?
It'd be great for new folks.
Like when Neighbours started over here and the first episode was Madge sitting in a Ronnie Corbett chair giving the avid viewing public some background to the characters.

Look, I had flu and couldn't go to school that day.

don't put his post on the main page! he didn't mention me!

and i stick by my earlier sentiment. no log-in! don't go back to log-ville, as REM once nearly said.

[for the record, my mother calls me tom when i'm in trouble. cos i'm not really called germ.]

I think all the log in malarky was quite good. Cause you get to know the punters to an extent.

Also I recieved to death threats for slaggin off The Cake since the log in was removed.

Also Macs are good and also my ma has'nt called me in months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back