Some sort of ethical question.... (1 Viewer)

Nice use of the rule of thirds.

What was unethical about this photo was the hunting down of the identity of the man and making a big deal of it, dragging his family into a debate on ethics where they should not have even known it was him. But that was just sensationalising the whole thing. To sell copy.

As a piece of reportage, it’s brilliant.

As a record of a tragedy, it’s valid.

I have vivid memories of other people jumping from those buildings shown live. Those memories are much more effective at eliciting the emotion of the event.

There are much worse pictures of acts of terrorism out there. Pictures of dead children from Lebanon, for example.

this picture is relevant today of all days.

The Falling Man.

some said it was a gross injustice to the person who chose to jump, others say that the picture honours the man and his choice.

what do you think and more importantly, would you have pointed and shot it?

The_Falling_Man.jpg

While living in new york for a while, i visited this photography gallery not knowing exactly what the exhibit consisted of (as in the theme/subject,etc). To my surprise it was actually an exhibit dedicated to 9/11 and put but it mildy, some of the photo's were horrific. I'm talking, human limbs on the pavement, blood, guts, you name it. To be honest, I think there are other ways to remember these poor people. I know I would be very uspet if I knew any of these kind of pictures on show were of my family/friends/etc.

While living in new york for a while, i visited this photography gallery not knowing exactly what the exhibit consisted of (as in the theme/subject,etc). To my surprise it was actually an exhibit dedicated to 9/11 and put but it mildy, some of the photo's were horrific. I'm talking, human limbs on the pavement, blood, guts, you name it. To be honest, I think there are other ways to remember these poor people. I know I would be very uspet if I knew any of these kind of pictures on show were of my family/friends/etc.

can i ask which gallery this is.

people have a morbid fascination withthe ugly side of life and to be honest im sure there would be lots of people interested in seeing that kind of reportage (limbs, blood, guts)
the only moral question is do you need to see it.?
do you gain anything or feel better from having seen it? probably not.

i find the falling man image to be one of the strongest images from 9/11 (along with the pic of the priest with the firemen) on a personal scale.

we've all seen the videos of the towers falling and of the planes hitting them but really theres no human connection there cause its more of a spectacle than anything at this stage.

I know I'll probably be lambasted for this but I think the falling man image LOOKS too contrived. There, I said it. I know it's not; I know it just looks that way. But it's too "not right". And I know it happened. That's not what I mean.

I just don't "feel" for it. On the day, when we watched it on the big screen in work and the first of the jumpers was shown....that was incredibly emotional. That was someone who just said, "This is the best option for me."

And I've come close to that feeling at times since that has happened (check the lifestyle/depression thread).

I just remember the day and I remember the actual jumping and how "casual" it seemed.

Scary thoughts.

Thankfully in the past.

And I've come close to that feeling at times since that has happened (check the lifestyle/depression thread).

i know it says check the lifestyle depression thread but im in a shite mood at the moment and dont really want to wallow in the depths.
are you saying you've come close to jumping?!

i dont think its contrived at all. i know what you're saying though.

i know it says check the lifestyle depression thread but im in a shite mood at the moment and dont really want to wallow in the depths.
are you saying you've come close to jumping?!

i dont think its contrived at all. i know what you're saying though.

Yeah. Very close. Long time ago now though.

Ah, I didn't mean it was contrived. Just that, on the day, watching it live and seeing people jumping and falling, it meant more.

This pic surfaced much later and didn't have the effect of watching someone, on live television, decide that this was a much less painful option.

Sobering.

To me though, the falling man is a good image. Visually. Doesn't "reach" me though.

But I remember watching it live.

And that does.

Ah, life is a series of meaningful coincidences indeed....This documentary on tonight.

DOCUMENTARY: 9/11: The Falling Man
On: more4
Date: Wednesday 13th September 2006 (starting this evening)
Time: 21:00 to 22:30 (1 hour and 30 minutes long)

September 11 2001 was a day that forever changed America. It was a day of many stories: stories of survivors, stories of heroes. But one story simply disappeared. The story of the people who began to fall just minutes after the first plane hit. They were called the jumpers, but soon they were never spoken about again, as if they had never existed.
(Repeat, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=64841

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

re an earlier post which mentioned blasphemy being illegal; that it may be, but you can't be prosecuted for it.
the supreme court reached that conclusion as the law states that it is a crime, but as it does not state what constitutes blasphemy, the law is unenforcable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back