some observations (1 Viewer)

grown men that say T'ra when leaving a room. grrr

Best album cover ever:
sadcaftr5753871356587280.jpg

By Sad Cafe

Surely with the homogenization (settle down Corey, it doesn't mean what you think it does) of Europe and to an extent the western world, various phrases from OTHER COUNTRIES are going to trickle into the vernacular of us proud and insular Oirish?
"Ciao!" has nouveau-riche (ahem) connotations for sure but to start gnashing and wailing when someone slips a 'mad foreid'n word' into speech is a bit unsettling for me.
I'd expect a two page feature in the Sunday Independent though.

Dobre den,
Mitchum.

Surely with the homogenization (settle down Corey, it doesn't mean what you think it does) of Europe and to an extent the western world, various phrases from OTHER COUNTRIES are going to trickle into the vernacular of us proud and insular Oirish.

Stephan Fry had a very good rant about the Australian-isation of English, where every sentance ends in a raised tone, as if it were a question, once you spot it, it's fucking everywhere and makes everyone sound dense, non-commital and like they're audtioning for neighbours

Stephan Fry had a very good rant about the Australian-isation of English, where every sentance ends in a raised tone, as if it were a question, once you spot it, it's fucking everywhere and makes everyone sound dense, non-commital and like they're audtioning for neighbours

My ex and his family, particuarly his mother, did this. Lovely people but it annoyed the hell out of me. They also said T'ra (and were not Welsh).

The Spanish students are back. I was almost mowed down and repeatedly knocked against the wall of Eastons on Nassau St by a gang of them earlier. :mad:

having a job that means you work with photoshop all day is actually really lame

no society was ever built on the bevel

now thats one case where I believe racism is totally fine, to encouraged in fact

rich brats who treat Dublin like it's summer camp for 8 months of the year

The most interesting part was that as they repeatedly crashed into me they were complaining. I think I was supposed to climb the wall to get out of their way... or maybe lie down so they could trample me properly.

Horrible, horrible creatures.

now thats one case where I believe racism is totally fine, to encouraged in fact

rich brats who treat Dublin like it's summer camp for 8 months of the year

when it did start about 15 years ago it was a handy way for pretty hard-up families to make a bit of cash by bringing a student in.

now everone is rich.

when it did start about 15 years ago it was a handy way for pretty hard-up families to make a bit of cash by bringing a student in.

handy way to get your hole too

apparantly

I remember friends would have students and be forced to bring them out, picture four pale skinny spotty bumfluffed Irish boys moping thru town dressed all in black ont he hottest day of the year, with a six and half foot tall, three foot wide, bronzed, shithouse wall of a spaniard resplendiant in day glo bermudas and ray bands with full moustache straggling along behind them

who thought that was ever a good idea? who?

we used to get a few spanish and french students for the summer when i was a teenager - they were mostly cool enough and sound. one time there was this french girl staying with us and before she left i wanted to find out how to say some swear words in french so the night before she was leaving i looked up "fuck" in the english/french dictionary and ran after her as she was going to bed and pointed to the french version of fuck and asked her how to say it but she thought i was saying i wanted to fuck her and ran off to her room

but she thought i was saying i wanted to fuck her and ran off to her room

ha ha ha ha ha ha

to be fair I thought thats where the story was going

there was a Spanish girl who took art classes with me in the evenings over a summer years and years ago whom I fell totally in love with... real The Wonder Years shit, all I can remember about her now is her mother was an opera singer

at least I think that's what she said

I'll get by with a little help from my friends, woah..

Surely with the homogenization (settle down Corey, it doesn't mean what you think it does) of Europe and to an extent the western world, various phrases from OTHER COUNTRIES are going to trickle into the vernacular of us proud and insular Oirish?
"Ciao!" has nouveau-riche (ahem) connotations for sure but to start gnashing and wailing when someone slips a 'mad foreid'n word' into speech is a bit unsettling for me.
I'd expect a two page feature in the Sunday Independent though.

Dobre den,
Mitchum.

Haha! You said Faggot!

I'm in the habit of saying Adios au temps de temps, but i'm totally for the notion of complimenting a persons nationality by ways of attempting to speak the language. That said, you would'nt catch me trying to pronounce 'clique' to an irishman. May as well be shouting 'PEAT BRIQUETTE' at an english frenchman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back