Some help? (1 Viewer)

steveamanakick

Website
www.windingswindings.com
I'm a final year stoodent in Limerick, and I'm in the process of researching my final year project! I'm doing it in Media, and the title is "Musical Subcultures in the 1990s" concentrating explicitly on grunge and the genre known as Generation X. Anybody recommend any literature that may help me on my quest?

How about Irvine Welsh, Douglas Copeland,
Pete Bagges 'Hate 'comics...
thats all that springs to mind right now

Read, "The Philosophy Of Punk" by Craig O'Hara. It is more about punk Obviously but it mentions grunge and is a fairly good summery of the punk subculture over the past 30 years

the only 1990's musical subculture worth a cock was the astronomical rise and demise of jimmy ray. remember the time he perfomed a heart wrenching version of " are you jimmy ray?" on kenny live? pat came over to him afterwards and said " so is your name really jimmy ray?" to which he replied " who want's to know?" cobain, vedder,that spa from alice in chains, none of them had an ounce of jimmy's wit and charm. i can still recall the day "goin' to vegas" failed to reach the top 5. all the broken hearted fans gathered around the steps of the central bank and wept like women.

Can't think of anything specifically about grunge, although doubtless some of the social/cultural theory journals (eg "Social Text") will yield some material.

You've probably come across this, but just in case: Dick Hebdige's book "Subculture" is a more or less standard text on the subject of subculture in general. Although it deals mainly with 1970s stuff, it could be methodologically useful.

More recently, Ian Penman's "Vital Signs", though not really about either music or the 90s in isolation, is an incredible work. It can be a bugger to find, though - I think it's still out of print. You might get a second-hand copy somewhere.

The full details are: Ian Penman, "Vital Signs: Music, Movies and Other Manias" [London: Serpent's Tail, 1998.]

"Come as You Are" is the definitive Nirvana biog, so says Uncut anyway... and your not going to get very far on Generation X with out Nirvana.... that bloke also wrote a book recently called "Our Band Could be Your Life" which is about America's 80's DIY punk scence and wraps up with the major labels snapping them all up (or trying to) early 90's. Don't know who the bloke is... you'll easily find out via Amazon or something

Also anything about Ray Gun magazine... that was a biggie back then

"7 years of plenty" by ??? is a fab if over wordy and flowery book on music from 1991 - 1997, worth checking out. Also "We Rock So you Don't Have To" is a colection of writings from Option magazine...(??) which is good for yer Sebadoh interviews and the like, thats still in Easons I think....

I have the last two myself so if your stuck maybe I might lend them to you... maybe....

also read Englands Dreaming a book about English punk.... just because

.....oh my god I am such a muso nerd....:(

Pantone247 (27 Nov, 2001 02:58 p.m.):
"Come as You Are" is the definitive Nirvana biog, so says Uncut anyway... and your not going to get very far on Generation X with out Nirvana.... that bloke also wrote a book recently called "Our Band Could be Your Life" which is about America's 80's DIY punk scence and wraps up with the major labels snapping them all up (or trying to) early 90's. Don't know who the bloke is...
..(

Michael Azzerad, i think.

yeah, Come As You Are is definitely the only book about Nirvana worth reading.

CHECK OUT ON THE NET
EMOCORE, JAPANESE NOISE/PSYCHEDELIA,
STRAIGHT EDGE/HARDCORE PUNK,DREAM/DRONE, NU-METAL,DISCHORD RECORDS,SUBPOP RECORDS, CREATION RECORDS,
"WE ROCK SO YOU DON`T HAVE TO" BOOK IN O`MAHONEYS BOOKSTORE-.....WHY ARE YOU DOING A PROJECT ON "MUSIC SUBCULTURES" ANYWAY??!!IF YOU HAD ANY REAL INTEREST IN MUSIC YOU`D PROBABLY KNOW THIS STUFF ANYWAY!!DO YOUR SELF A FAVOUR AND DO A PROJECT ON SOMETHING LIKE BUDGETING OR SOMETHING MORE TO YOUR SIDE OF THINGS..FAILING THAT..THERE`S THE ABOVE

yeah, Come As You Are is definitely the only book about Nirvana worth reading.

The new biography of Kurt Cobain "Heavier than Heaven" is also a very good read, from what I have read of it, possibly better than come as you are. Charles Cross I think is the name of the guy who wrote it and he got access to Kurts diaries and writings plus interviewed practically every person he ever had connections with. I think it took him four or five years to do his research. I'm only a few chapters into it yet but it should give details of nirvanas connections to a lot of the other bands of the time, so it may be useful to you.

Heh heh... D'yeh remember Grunge...
Just watch 'Singles' again and look how uncomfortable the Dieing young guy looks in his freshly bought Mudhoney t~shirt... ahh Grunge
sniff, theres something in my eye

PeeWee (28 Nov, 2001 01:52 p.m.):
Heh heh... D'yeh remember Grunge...
Just watch 'Singles' again and look how uncomfortable the Dieing young guy looks in his freshly bought Mudhoney t~shirt... ahh Grunge
sniff, theres something in my eye

round my way you were either into grunge or rave...not both!! Whatever style you pleged allegence to demanded you feel irrational hatred to the other..... even if you did think Little Fluffly Clouds was pretty deadly with a few doobies...

You could recognise "grungers" by their ripped jeans and flannel shirt... and Ravers by thier X Work jeans and massive hoodies, and it was that simple...:)

now you can't even tell if these leather clad goth freaks of kids are girls or boys never mind grungers or ravers!! :(

ahh yes...but a lot of grungers (and metlers) ended up shaving their manes and becoming ravers...

which they were then able to afford as all that money previously spent on hair-care products was simply lying around waiting to be spent...

What's this all about? When I was a lad, you were either a jiver or a waltzer. Jivers wore heavy cotton slax, hard-wearing shirts and tweedy sports coats with Elvis badges whereas waltzers wore heavy cotton slax, hard-wearing shirts and tweedy sports coats with Pioneer pins.

Jimmy Stewart, hurling and Sunday morning wanks. God but we were wholesome.

mugwump (28 Nov, 2001 03:22 p.m.):
which they were then able to afford as all that money previously spent on hair-care products was simply lying around waiting to be spent...

Dan (29 Nov, 2001 08:14 a.m.):
I used to wear an onion on my belt...which was the fashion of the time.

I wear Dan on my belt! Which is the fashion now. You should all get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back