Some gifts from finland (1 Viewer)

Dktr. Faustus

If anyone is interested, I can introduce you to some good finnish bands in this topic.

Fun is a band that sprung again into my mind in the Hot Snakes -concert. One of my favourite finnish live bands. Though they have a tedious name, they are no posers (something that is a too common problem amongst finnish bands going for that indie thing) - but TRVE KVLT indierockers in the vein of american noisy indierock (especially ones starring albini). Though their album sounds almost too much like Rapeman, their live sound is a bit more varied and always destroying. They have loads of good tunes and they might drop a cover or two into their sets - i've heard them do minutemen, the Dicks, Zeni Geva and Das Boot & Sledgehammer-covers. At least. I invited them to play the last show on an university tv station i worked in and the singer dropped his pants at the end of a song and played with his testicles. How about a wanking solo, that? They have the skillz and the passion, now i want them to do an album that sounds like them and nothing but them.

There is some info and some mp3's too, try them, yeah...

I was in Finland at the end of January for a Finnish friend's wedding. Unfortunately, what with all the drinking, eating Elk and skiing the only Finnish music I can remember hearing was 'Nylon Beat' with some classic tune that basically went "nananana" for a half an hour and then followed it with, "yeah! yeah!". Great stuff....

We all think Circle are great, though, don't we? And I'll be heading to Crawdaddy on Friday to check out Husky Rescue, I reckon.

Are you Finnish then? I'd like to thank your country for these:

salmiak.jpg

Oh, and Lapin Kulta....

Ahh, Salmiakki. Thems Finns are mad for the licuorice.

Giant Robot's great! You heard Uusi Fantasia? The latest album was just released when I was living over there. And the TV Resistori album.
Never got up to Tampere to see any decent bands, though. !bog

has finland got its own personal genre of music or a genre its famous for eg: norway: black metal.

My favourite finnish band ,for now anyway,is Appendix.early 80's finnish hardcore is amazing. Although the early punk stuff is pretty amazing too.

finland is highly renowned for it's punk music. the first finnish punk record was 'i REALLY HATE YA ' 7" by BRIARD in 1977. it features andy mc coy from hanoi rocks on guitar. quickly dozens of bands made vinyl over the next years but only in small pressings often less than 500. these records are now ultra high price rarities only affordable to rich collectors. in the early eighties finnish hardcore punk became well known in underground circles. LAMA,TERVEET KADEET, BASTARDS, RATTUS, SEKUNDA, SORTO, KANSAAN UUTISET, KUOLEMA, RIIISTYTET, APPENDIX ETC. gave finland one of the best hardcore scenes anywhere many bands put out lp's at a a time many internaional punk bands didn't get the chance. there a decline after 1985 but by early ninties things were swinging again with bands like SELFISH. there is also a lot of good grind, noise power electronics stuff like BIZARRE UPROAR, GRUNT, YES MEANS YES, NOISE WASTE etc.which is not well known. traditional punk seems big as well. oh APPENDIX are great and recently a similar band to them called KLIMAX had a great archive released lp called '84-85' it rounds up demos by this band who only had 2 songs released at he time but now should be legends. viva Suomi !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back