social acceptability query (1 Viewer)

Many years ago, I was once told "I can hear your music!" when on a train, by a woman sat opposite me. No biggie - I said "Oh..." and turned it down a bit.

She then continued her conversation with her friend. About shopping. I don't want to listen to that shit, so back up goes the volume again. If she's willing to sit in silence, then I am too. But if you think I'm going to be subjected to 30 mins of "I'm getting this - I'm getting that - that's ugly - that's only gorgeous", then fuck you.

Some lad was listening to the Darkness on his earphones on a 7.20am bus to Swords one morning and it was loud enough that it might as well been laptop speakers spraying out the music. I asked him to turn it down, he called me a bollix but he did turn it down. I think he was just embarrassed apart from anything else.

I'm really happy I don't get the bus anymore.

When I did though, I had these bad boys:
hp_no_lg_se_cx300b.jpg

Since they're like earplugs, all outside noise was drowned out at around half volume, so I got to listen to me music without it bothering people around me, and without fecking up my ears.
Highly recommended
seanc

a woman once asked me to turn my music down and i ignored her and looked at her like she was so uncool..i was only about 18 at the time though..

however there is this one dude who sits behind me every morning on the 17a playing like guns n roses and metallica so so loud..at 7.30 in the morning...i now know how that woman felt..

I also once heard this complete wankpot who lives near us laughing at me cos i was listening to peaches..this from the guy who wears a blazer and converse and who think pete doherty is a genius..or so i heard him tell his mate...fuck right off you fucking idiot..

oh yeah, his friend sitting in the seat directly infront of me, also tried to vigorously bounce his seat back just that little bit lower (obviously not satisfied with merely crushing my legs or the reclining limits set on the chair), just so he could enjoy their communal listening in comfort

Music on bus doesn't bother me that much as I can't really hear it through my headphones.
But cunts reclining their seats get short shrift. I ask politely and start pushing them if they don't comply.

i was on a bus to mexico once and i was blaring creedence from my mind and people started getting off their seats and dancing, getting high and naked and shit...

Bus rules are as follows
Music on speakers : no.
Music on headphones : yes. (If very loud, request for volume turning down is ok.)
Seat all the way back : If asked to raise seat definitely no, otherwise probably no. (Kneeing the fuck out of it is ok if resistance is met.)

But cunts reclining their seats get short shrift. I ask politely and start pushing them if they don't comply.

that's awfully nice of you. i jam my knees into the back of their seat (usually, this just means "i sit") preemptively and then make things as bony and uncomfortable as possible if they try reclining. it's not a god-given right. i get that people with short legs might not cop that it's a problem, and they're burdened enough by their genes anyway without me having a go, but if it's someone tall, it kind of makes me want to kill.

i have short legs but it still does my nips in when someone reclines in front of me. i don't want the top of your poxy head in my face thanks very much.

that's awfully nice of you. i jam my knees into the back of their seat (usually, this just means "i sit") preemptively and then make things as bony and uncomfortable as possible if they try reclining. it's not a god-given right. i get that people with short legs might not cop that it's a problem, and they're burdened enough by their genes anyway without me having a go, but if it's someone tall, it kind of makes me want to kill.

you wouldnt ask first?

nah, get the knees in first, wriggle about violently a bit, then if they dont get the message be very apologetic and ask nicely. "I just cant fit in tp these silly seats" sort of tack.
Then if they still dont get the message, knee the fuck out of it, possibly using your foot wedged on the ground to sporadically jig them up and down.

you wouldnt ask first?

i have in the past and it never worked out well. i kind of figure that sitting normally, both of us are comfortable and feel nothing until they start to recline, and then they should get the hint that the two bony lumps of resistance they're meeting are my kneecaps.

edit: or, what flashback said. using girlish charm to hide my strategic intentions. i don't use the jigging technique, though...yet.

bus recliners are just inconsiderate people who don't care about anybody or anything.

plane recliners are worse. Like litter louts, they deserve a punishment beating along the lines of a double-barrelled shotgun kneecapping and / or a beating with iron bars.

I think that when airlines decided to cram seats closer together they should have removed the option to recline the seats altogether.

On one short flight to the UK a few years ago I rested my book on the bald patch of the man who had refused to put his seat back up (when he was putting it down he had smashed the tray table into my legs and spilled my drink) when I had asked him nicely. Amazingly he didn't even flinch, but about 5 minutes later - after the person in front of him put their seat back and spilled his coffee over his comfortably stretched out legs - his seat went back up.

Edit - Re. music on public transport, everything flashback said.

I think that when airlines decided to cram seats closer together they should have removed the option to recline the seats altogether.

On one short flight to the UK a few years ago I rested my book on the bald patch of the man who had refused to put his seat back up (when he was putting it down he had smashed the tray table into my legs and spilled my drink) when I had asked him nicely. Amazingly he didn't even flinch, but about 5 minutes later - after the person in front of him put their seat back and spilled his coffee over his comfortably stretched out legs - his seat went back up.

Edit - Re. music on public transport, everything flashback said.

definitely
seats should be fixed on planes.

that's funny about the book on head :)

he deserved the coffee spillage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back