Sociable Cooking - The Return (2 Viewers)

Thanks for having us Riath. Thanks for being a ledgerama Gazzer. Thanks for the cakes Wobbler. Nice meeting everyone. We had a great night. The Ulster American Folk Park in Tyrone on Saturday wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I look forward to the next one. :)

They're on Riath's and theweeyin's Facebook. If you want to PM me your email address, I can add them as attachments if you like?

Thanks a million u guise!Some great shots.T'was a class night altogether!

Right, here we go

Burnt-Butter Brown Sugar Cupcakes
The recipe below is from Nigella Lawson's excellent How to be a Domestic Goddess. If this is in breech of copyright, Nigella's solicitors can PM me and I'll forward them Pete's credit card details.

Lovely Nigella Nawson said:
for the cupcakes:
150g unsalted butter
125g self raising flour
60g golden caster sugar
65g light muscavado sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 tablespoons milk

12 bun muffin tray lined with 12 muffin papers*

for the icing:
150g unsalted butter
250-300g golden icing sugar, sieved**
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 Tablsepoons milk

Preheat the oven to 200C and then get get on with burning your butter. Put it in a small saucepan on mediium heat, stirring all the time until it turns a dark golden colour. Take the pan off the heat and strain the butter into a bowl or cup, as it will have made a sediment. In other words, this is like clarified butter, but with a smoky note. Let the butter solidify again but don't put it in the fridge; you need it to remain soft for the cupcakes. This shouldn't take long***, except in hot weather, in which case leaqve the preheating of the oven till after the butter's burnt.

When the butter is solid but still soft, put all the cake ingredients except the milk in a food processor and blitz to a smooth batter. As normal, add the milk down the funnel, pulsing sparingly to form a soft dropping mixture. This can all be done by hand.

Divide between the paper cases and cook for 15-20 minutes. while the cupcakes atr baking, get on with the icing. It's the same procedure for the butter - burn, sieve, solidify - then beat it with half the sugar or enough to make it stiff. Add tablespoons of milk and the remaining sugar alternately to reach a good consistancy, and finally the vanilla.

While the icing's still soft****, smear messily over the cooled and waiting cupcakes

* Or in my case a 6 muffin one used twice in batches
** I used normal icing sugar, because that's all Superquinn had. I'd imagine the golden stuff would make a big difference
***Yeah right, it takes ages. I usually end up just putting it in the fridge for a few minutes. It's up to you, but remember that you'll have to go through this process again in a little while, to make the icing, so maybe consider making up both batches well in advance
****But when the cakes have cooled a good bit, otherwise it will melt and look like shit

Any questions?

It's probably worth noting that this recipe requires 300 g of unsalted butter (health considerations aside) this is more than one packet, so make sure you have enough before you start.

I know it's loads of butter, but it's totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back