So there's no way to say "hello" in Irish without invoking god? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
not to mention 'fir gorm' = black men.

I believe it's because in the old days blue and black weren't distinguished from one another in Gaelic. I believe there's something similar with yellow and grey. It's also funny people think it's incongruous to say "blue man" for "black man" when no man on earth is truly black. If ya get me.

no, its not scots gealic. its the ulster scots dialect you are thinking of.

I still think it's an urban legend. "wee dafty" or "dafty wee wayne" I've heard both, but if it's actually been written down somewhere officially it should be easy enough to find online. I haven't yet found any reference that wasn't prefaced by "apparently..."

I believe it's because in the old days blue and black weren't distinguished from one another in Gaelic. I believe there's something similar with yellow and grey. It's also funny people think it's incongruous to say "blue man" for "black man" when no man on earth is truly black. If ya get me.

I was told it's because the divil used to be known as 'an fear dubh'. And people were sound about changing their vocabulary to avoid involuntarily slandering and entire spectrum of humanity. The blue/black explanation seems more likely to me now though, but that's just because it's simpler. Both are fairly plausible I reckon.

I was told it's because the divil used to be known as 'an fear dubh'. And people were sound about changing their vocabulary to avoid involuntarily slandering and entire spectrum of humanity. The blue/black explanation seems more likely to me now though, but that's just because it's simpler. Both are fairly plausible I reckon.

I've heard that other explanation and that could well be the primary reason although both could be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back