So there's no way to say "hello" in Irish without invoking god? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
is there any way to say it in english without inciting hell?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/2009/06/texas-town-changes-greeting-to-heaven-o/

Kleberg County commissioners on Monday unanimously designated “heaven-o” as the county’s official greeting. The reason: “hello” contains the word “hell.”“When you go to school and church, they tell you ‘hell’ is negative and ‘heaven’ is positive,’” said the 56-year-old Canales, who owns the Kingsville Flea Market. “I think it’s time that we set a new precedent, to tell our kids that we are positive adults.”
The new salutation, according to the county resolution, is a “symbol of peace, friendship and welcome” in this “age of anxiety.”
On Thursday, courthouse employees were answering the phones, “heaven-o.”

the twitter gealteacht is telling me

"'caide mar atá tú?' (how are you) can be shortened to 'caide mar?"

and in fairness, thats what most of my family members say in a shop or whatever.

and in fairness, thats what most of my family members say in a shop or whatever.

Cad e mar ata tu?

No fadas on the iPad.

It's more often shortened (phonetically) to Dia mar? in my experience.
Which gets God in the back door so to speak.

how about ''well?'' shortened from ''are you well?"

in Irish it's ''Bhuel" or some other sort of makey uppy bullshit

Everytime you say 'good' in English you're invoking the spirit in the sky, kinda. Are you not?

Irish seems like it's stuck in the 19th century. English is highly influenced by it's neighbours and gets loads of new words and modes of expressions every year whereas Irish seems to be rather isolated in comparasion. While you can well believe that English is 30% similiar to French and 50% similiar to German, Irish doesn't seem similiar to much. Scots Gaelic I suppose.

I think 'Hello' is officially ok in Irish for avoiding 'Dia'.

Everytime you say 'good' in English you're invoking the spirit in the sky, kinda. Are you not?

Irish seems like it's stuck in the 19th century. English is highly influenced by it's neighbours and gets loads of new words and modes of expressions every year whereas Irish seems to be rather isolated in comparasion. While you can well believe that English is 30% similiar to French and 50% similiar to German, Irish doesn't seem similiar to much. Scots Gaelic I suppose.

I think 'Hello' is officially ok in Irish for avoiding 'Dia'.

i edited some audio of a guy who had been an irish teacher all his life talking about the origins of the language.

the jist of what he said is that it basically contains words from every language starting from north africa, going through the middle east and then through southern europe, and also because the celtics were a musical culture, the hard consonants slowly were eroded into softer more lyrical things. when i learned polish i found loads of similar sounds and words (tá and níl become tak and ni in polish), polish being hi-hat and snare versions of what is played violin style in irish. if you insert hard consonants basically it becomes very european fast, with a bit of african flavour. lot in common with spanish at times too.

how about ''well?'' shortened from ''are you well?"

in Irish it's ''Bhuel" or some other sort of makey uppy bullshit

pardon me, thats an odd thing about the perception of irish. if you stick a fada on something and use the irish alphabet to spell it, people think its makey uppy, if you do it in english, nobody gives a fuck. i started that sentence with 'pardon' because its a french word, dumbed down for the brits. also, in english. perception is latin, alphabet is greek, etc etc etc....

the first irish book printed in ireland was a translated bible, thats probably why god is invoked in hello. just pretend its a load of pagan gods and you's will be grand.

another from twitter, simpy 'Helló'.

What's the transliteration of 'caide mar atá tú?'? I'm guessing it's something like "how is it that you are?". Gotta love Irish for that kind of thing.

Also, just wondering, what's the transliteration of 'go raibh maith agat'? It's probably really straight forward but my Irish isn't great. "That was good of you."?

What's the transliteration of 'caide mar atá tú?'? I'm guessing it's something like "how is it that you are?". Gotta love Irish for that kind of thing.

Also, just wondering, what's the transliteration of 'go raibh maith agat'? It's probably really straight forward but my Irish isn't great. "That was good of you."?

Yeah, "how is it that you are?"

I would have thought Go raibh maith agat was 'That good should happen to you'/'That goodness should be upon you'
Am I way off there?

really?

bit of a show stopper for atheists, isn't it?

Are there really people who worry about that kind of thing? Surely it's just a figure of speech. Numerous languages feature common phrases of religious origin that over time have shed their original meaning. Four out of seven days of the week in English pay tribute to Norse and Germanic gods for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back