So:PORTLAOISE -What's the deal? (4 Viewers)

needtokill

Website
www.thumped.com
Just noticed that we here at top corporate rock supergroup ALREADY DEAD(tm) seem to have had lots of emails from Portlaoise (well, 4 or 5) looking for demos and that, which is interesting..so i'm curious, is there in fact a Punk scene in Portlaoise that us snooty dublin fuckers don't know about?Are there bands?Zines?Places to play?People who put on gigs?
Anyone know?

i was down there on friday/saturday..

there's no scene as such, a handful of eager kids though.

there's also a hidden scene in naas that no1 seems to know about.

4 or 5? huh..

portlaoise has no scene bar some cocky fucks who play the usually rock covers.
theres gkr... and gorilla nurse.. and nova static.. all of whom hae playing in portaloise and avoid doing so.

eager kids, eh weeler? you'd be into that..

weeler said:
there's also a hidden scene in naas that no1 seems to know about.
Hang on..is this the Naas kiddie (i don't mean that in aderogatory way, just that they're school age are they not) punks?The kids with the Leather jackets with OP IVY and ANTI FLAG on them?Like "Cyd" and ..fuck, I can't remember the other band..No somethingorother?

I actually miss those kids, they used to hang out in the shop a lot and they were actually really nice, really good kids, (as opposed to the central bank types who come in and sit on the bench all day now).You'd give them a copy of Fracture or RTB or something and they'd go home and study it.Enthusiastic little bunch.Haven't seen em in ages...

it's quite possible, all i know is i played a gig to a hundred odd kids down there and they dig rancid covers but couldn't quite understand why me mark and deena were shouting so much.

weeler said:
it's quite possible, all i know is i played a gig to a hundred odd kids down there and they dig rancid covers but couldn't quite understand why me mark and deena were shouting so much.
heheh...weird..their bands are pretty "shouty" as far as I remember..

bandit said:
where in naas is there to put on gigs?
right, while we're at it:any other smaller scenes we need to know about?I have a thing I made called the "Touring Map", which is a like a little map of the country with towns that do gigs on it - so far it has Belfast,Dublin,Cork, Limerick, Castlebar and Carlow on it (There was Galway as well - easily my favourite place to play EVER besides Warzone, but they lost the venue)

Anywhere else I should add to it?

if i can get in contact with the hall committe, you can probably include portlaosie on that map. shouldnt be too long.

needtokill said:
Hang on..is this the Naas kiddie (i don't mean that in aderogatory way, just that they're school age are they not) punks?The kids with the Leather jackets with OP IVY and ANTI FLAG on them?Like "Cyd" and ..fuck, I can't remember the other band..No somethingorother?

I actually miss those kids, they used to hang out in the shop a lot and they were actually really nice, really good kids, (as opposed to the central bank types who come in and sit on the bench all day now).You'd give them a copy of Fracture or RTB or something and they'd go home and study it.Enthusiastic little bunch.Haven't seen em in ages...
i think one of those kids is my wee cousin.

I know Id love to see more good bands come here.Its not a totally terrible town(as in its close to Dublin).I'm looking for a cheap venue also so maybe soon.

Fuckin yeah. The cities are stagnant, the bogs are where its at.

Oh, for the rock, the rock of my Roscommonín.
Where we did jump and shout till our mammies told us to stop.
With a 15watt practicer amp and two-year old strings.
Smoking hash and pints o' Guinness for £1.85.

ya can add kilcoole to that list... i know they aint often but if a touring band ever wants to play we can organise it.
there's a coolie gig on soon by the way... with this friggin thing w/free cd (includes backhander,dead letter dept, kid blunt, margin of error, and other arse holes!) a new bogul, and small children and our mammies collectivly drinkin as much wine as possible!!!
the bands go something like this....ahem...
Margin Of error Crookie fix Kid Blunt

Langdon Beck(feat. all the original members) foot in mouth(w/new organist!!)

Evil elviss excuse for escape (i think) and MDG

thats it i think.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back