Sky Blue Sky (1 Viewer)

i can't get over how good the dvd that comes with the cd is. this version of Wilco is the new "Band". so good. really helps give you more of an appreciation of the tunes on this album.

did you hear how wilco sent out an email asking fans to buy the album?

someone's giving out about it over on cluas

that's right - CLUAS

the other message board

but anyway, fair enough if you ask me

Did anyone read the review in the herald am?
What the fuck?
Possibly the most poorly written review i've ever read.Talks about kurt cobain,elvis, Tweedys rehab, Uncle Tupelo.
Then when it finally comes to the album 3/4 way through the review it compares it to the Eagles,television and the Beatles before finishing off with this gem
"In music,as in life, its often more difficult to be honest and true"..."Sky blue sky has stylishly managed this feat"

I think Summerteeth is overlooked a bit unfairly.
Via Chicago and Pienholden Suite are classics. Putting the bouncy songs at the starts give a bit of a false impression - it's a moodier more atmospheric album than it's given credit for.

I agree it's a motherfucker of an album, probably too long and the first track or two could've been ditched... (stupid bells on Can't Stand it... zzz zzz) the second version of Shot in the Arm at the end is just much too much... isn't there a bonus track too???

But in the middle there is a great great album, maybe not as overtly experimental as YHF but defintely as forward looking... I was always puzzled by the hype surrounding YHF and how "kerzzzy" it was... Summer Teeth is nuts!

Sky Blue Sky is growing on me, but it is quite tame really. A lot of the songs remind me of bits of other earlier Wilco songs, and the blue eyed soul sining is a bit meh-heh... I'm sticking with it though

it's a grower

If you're not headbanging and doing the rock salute to the guitar solo in Impossible Germany by the third listen....you have no soul

I was actually a little dissapointed by Impossible Germany, I guess I'd read too much "it's a motherfucker guitar moment dude" stuff on pitchfork... it's just okay, and the free-jazz-esque bursts that lead into it are a little too akward to my ears... IMHO there's some much more tasty jazzy guitar workouts on the previous song or two

The stand out "motherfucker guitar moment dude" by Wilco remains when the riff too "At Least That's What You Said" kicks in about 2 minutes in and you realise you've cranked the volume on your stereo to hear the soft piano intro and that your speakers are now levitating 2ft off the desk

motherfucker

The stand out "motherfucker guitar moment dude" by Wilco remains when the riff too "At Least That's What You Said" kicks in about 2 minutes in and you realise you've cranked the volume on your stereo to hear the soft piano intro and that your speakers are now levitating 2ft off the desk

motherfucker

hah - truth. their "Crazy Horse" moment.

i think i just heard a tune of Wilco's on a VW commercial last night. I'll be burning my albums soon.

NO!
Me too.

Maybe coz it's the first one I heard and I listened the shit out of it at the time.
:)

Being There was one of the first two Wilco albums I heard (other one was YHF) and really, neither of them made much impression on me at all at first. I forgot about BT but kept listening to YHF and eventually the penny dropped. So, I just dug out Being There this morning and listened to it in the car and yah, it's really great ... but too long. I have the CD version and the second CD just seems a bit superfluous ...

I have AM somewhere as well. I should dig it out and try it again as well.

By the way, I loved Sky Blue Sky when I heard it first, but this love has not accelerated with repeated listens, and now I'm worried it is going somewhat stale.

I was actually a little dissapointed by Impossible Germany, I guess I'd read too much "it's a motherfucker guitar moment dude" stuff on pitchfork... it's just okay, and the free-jazz-esque bursts that lead into it are a little too akward to my ears... IMHO there's some much more tasty jazzy guitar workouts on the previous song or two

motherfucker

actually the guitar solo at the end of "Side With the Seeds" is better than Impossible Germany

hamazing

i just discovered right this minute that Low will be opening for Wilco when they play Toronto.

and then i discovered that i had just shit myself.

listening to it really loud with the sunshine on full too.

some of shake it off sounds really like wish you were here pink floyd. that bit when it picks up pace makes me want to sing "come in here, dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far...."

i agree. have i missed the boat on this thread? the arrangement there is lovely on the guitar solo but i dont think he quite nailed solo itself, especially when the thin lizzy bit kicks in - he should have stopped the solo and focused harder on the riff

Not sure how i feel about that song. Initially i hated the guitar bit but now it's growing on me.

The guitar bit used to feel tacked on to me.... now I just enjoy the shit out of it. I was in guitar-ecstasy at the two Wilco gigs a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back