Sky Blue Sky (1 Viewer)

jjlikestrains

Wee clip from the DVD version of Wilco's Sky Blue Sky
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bit o' blurb
"The Deluxe Edition includes a bonus DVD, which contains more than 45 minutes of footage of the band performing songs from Sky Blue Sky. The DVD also contains interview segments with all six band members. The film was directed by Christoph Green and Fugazi’s Brendan Canty, the creators of the Jeff Tweedy solo concert film, Sunken Treasure: Live in the Pacific Northwest, as well as the acclaimed documentary series, Burn to Shine."

this album is the definition of a grower. absolutely loathed it the first time i heard it but 10 listens later and i begin to see it's genius.

this album is the definition of a grower. absolutely loathed it the first time i heard it but 10 listens later and i begin to see it's genius.

when this happens with an album its either because the album actually is a grower (i remember this happening in 95 with wowee zowee)...or because you've just gotten used to the albums crapness and familiarity breeds content...(can't think of an example!)

it reminds me of paul simon, television and steely dan. thats a good thing.
yankee hotel foxtrot is still their best tho.
i dunno, quite enjoyed Ghost...this one is quickly worming it's way into my happy memories though...there's just so many little things...

when this happens with an album its either because the album actually is a grower (i remember this happening in 95 with wowee zowee)...or because you've just gotten used to the albums crapness and familiarity breeds content...(can't think of an example!)
it's the 1st example, definitely...i keep hearing quirky little bits that sound so cool...like on Impossible Germany about 4 minutes in, the beginning of the dual guitar thing...so good.

I was underwhelmed at first (I didn't hate it) but I was wondering where A Ghost is born and Wilco Book had gone. Now I just keep on listening to it. And listening and listening. Its not groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination but it really is excellent. The first three tracks are just a joy. Not sure about What Light, suprisingly, given I loved it at first. And Leave Me Where You Found me also - but the last track is fucking awesome.

Its funny that some of the reviews criticise them not employing Nels Cline to do more wanky guitar shit. Like they actually like Nels Cline records or something.

As for little bits - the bit at the end of the guitar solo on Either Way where his voice goes up - and obviously the guitar solo itself.

It's funny that some of the reviews criticise them not employing Nels Cline to do more wanky guitar shit. Like they actually like Nels Cline records or something.

True. Or reviewers criticizing it for not being "adventurous and experimental" enough. The sort of people who like "Ghost" not because it's good, but because it made them feel "adventurous and experimental".

the very beginning of "Hate It Here" sounds like the start of a Lennon solo tune. just thought i'd point that out.

post rehab l.a. dad rock? i guess it has no choice BUT to be that. still a good album.

its post-rehab l.a. dad rock innit?*

*haven't heard it

Yeah pretty much. It's like their ode to US AM Rock. Much like Jim O'Rourke's 'Insignificance'. Very glossy, very clean. Jeff's music is better when he's depressed, for sure.
I'm surprised at Glen Kotche and Nels Cline being reined in on it tbh.

Yeah pretty much. It's like their ode to US AM Rock. Much like Jim O'Rourke's 'Insignificance'. Very glossy, very clean. Jeff's music is better when he's depressed, for sure.
I'm surprised at Glen Kotche and Nels Cline being reined in on it tbh.

that's cuz all the music you like is moany!

I'm glad he's cheered up

I like Being There a lot though

don't like Summerteeth much - pop for non pop fans

YTF is good-ish

Ghost and Kicking Television are fan dabby doozi

I think Summerteeth is overlooked a bit unfairly.
Via Chicago and Pienholden Suite are classics. Putting the bouncy songs at the starts give a bit of a false impression - it's a moodier more atmospheric album than it's given credit for.

Some of the production on Summerteeth is to saccharine for my tastes but some of the songs (especially the ones you mentioned are deadly). e.g. ELT on the Sunken Treasure DVD illustrates whata great song it is beneath all the keyboards.

Also I like how Wilco have gotten rid of that urge to be funky in a depressingly bad way - see the end of Can't Stand It or the Instrumentals from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot demos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back