Skipping Tracks (3 Viewers)

this will change your mind Gary.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When Radiohead's Hail To The Thief came out I thought it was a bit shit, but then after a few months of really trying to like it and actually liking individual tracks I changed the running order and dropped two tracks it was a much better listen. Anyone else rejig an album that way ?

This used to be one of my favourite music-related hobbies, i.e. 'fixing' the tracklist of flawed or over-long albums by shuffling tracks, dropping some and splicing in any superior B-sides, singles etc. to try and make it a better listen. Decreased free time and MP3 downloading has killed my patience though, I think the last album I gave that treatment to was the most recent Chromatics one.

This used to be one of my favourite music-related hobbies, i.e. 'fixing' the tracklist of flawed or over-long albums by shuffling tracks, dropping some and splicing in any superior B-sides, singles etc. to try and make it a better listen. Decreased free time and MP3 downloading has killed my patience though, I think the last album I gave that treatment to was the most recent Chromatics one.

I also love one artist playlist which aren't greatest hits type things.

I have three Part Chimp albums, the first two of which are patchy, the third one was so good that I had to revisit the first two. I ended up with a playlist of 12 songs which are better than either of those albums individually.

Not quite the same thing as skipping I suppose. But still when you think about it recorded music has been around for 100 years our generation has been the first one to have these kind of options.

I also love one artist playlist which aren't greatest hits type things.

I have three Part Chimp albums, the first two of which are patchy, the third one was so good that I had to revisit the first two. I ended up with a playlist of 12 songs which are better than either of those albums individually.

Not quite the same thing as skipping I suppose. But still when you think about it recorded music has been around for 100 years our generation has been the first one to have these kind of options.

I've done the same with the last few Spiritualized albums: 4 each from Amazing Grace, Songs in A&E and Sweet Heart Sweet Light. Would've made a great single album.

I've done the same with the last few Spiritualized albums: 4 each from Amazing Grace, Songs in A&E and Sweet Heart Sweet Light. Would've made a great single album.
Everyone post your playlists and lets revive some patchy records for each other and give them a title.

Part Chimp - I Am Pimp

Bakahatsu
WarBastard
Hello Bastards
B1
Punishment Ride
Bring Back The Ride
I Am Come
Cover Me
Chimp Happy
30 Billion People

Bonus Track
Baroque (Trad)

Frank Black - Teenager Of The Black

Whatever Happened To Pong ?
Talahacracy
Los Anglels
I Want To Live On An Abstract Plain
Places Named After Numbers
The Vanishing Spies
Headache
White Noise Maker
Pie In The Sky
Ten Percenter
Pure Denizen Of The Citizens Band

(Not that there's anything wrong with those first two Frank Black records but they are both too long.

Spiritualized: Sweetlight Amazing Grace in A&E

1. Sweetheart Sweetlight (intro) [Sweetheart Sweetlight]
2. Hey Jane [Sweetheart Sweetlight]
3. Soul on Fire [Songs in A&E]
4. Harmony 5 [Songs in A&E]
5. Hold On [Amazing Grace]
6. Don't Hold Me Close [Songs in A&E]
7. Life is a Problem [Sweetheart Sweetlight]
8. Borrowed Your Gun [Songs in A&E]
9. Rated X [Amazing Grace]
10. Lay It Down Slow[Amazing Grace]
11. So Long You Pretty Thing [Sweetheart Sweetlight]

I like the romantic ones about drugs/ Jesus/ Girlfriends/ his Ma - the ones in the middle.
But also ones with a big chorus with a great outro - like Hey Jane or So Long You Pretty Thing.
There was just too much mid level/ mid tempo stuff on those albums.

All hip hop albums should be thrown INTO a skip,nevermind using a skip button.

racist1.gif

this will change your mind Gary.

Horrible. I hate Irish rapping. A friend keeps posting Missylaneous on facebook...just awful

worthy, working class, voice of youth yadda yadda

To me it sounds like June fucking Rogers doing one of her hilarious skits

Yeah exactly like I said "sometimes" i can't be bothered with Mildred Pierce or My Friend Goo.

This thread seems to be just people saying "Wait a second Cattle, I like that song"

So let's open it out a bit.

When Radiohead's Hail To The Thief came out I thought it was a bit shit, but then after a few months of really trying to like it and actually liking individual tracks I changed the running order and dropped two tracks it was a much better listen. Anyone else rejig an album that way ?

For the Record i think this was my running order.

Back Drifts

Go To Sleep

The Gloaming

There There

Sit Down Stand Up

Mixamatosis

2+2=5

We Suck Young Blood

Where I end and you begin

Sail To The Moon

A Wolf At The Door

Scatterbrain

Haven't listened to that album in ages though it's pretty much their Be Here Now. Bloated as fuck.

Anyway anyone else ?

You should ALWAYS be bothered with Mildred Pierce ;)

I have to say, I used to quite enjoy the way HTTF flows and thought they actually got the running order pretty much spot on, except for the inclusion of We Suck Young Blood and the placement of I Will.

I didn't mind I Will too much, but We Suck Young Blood just slams the breaks on the whole album and brings it to a shuddering halt. The Gloaming, although a great track, doesn't quite get the album going again, and as soon as There There gives it any momentum, I Will comes on and ruins it all again. I used to think if you put I Will in where We Suck Young Blood is, you'd have your mellow middle to the album that builds up to the finale.

Looking back at it again though there's a few other duff tracks in there. Drunken Punchup At A Wedding isn't great and I hate the verses in Wolf At The Door, so my final tracklisting would probably be the album as it is, minus We Suck Young Blood and Drunken Punchup At A Wedding. Wolf at The Door stays though because despite the shitty verses, the chorus is lovely.

Hmm yeah, that album should have been a lot shorter.

Another album which is even more full of filler is The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. 16 Tracks and there's at least 3 in row just over half way through the album that have no place being there. Makes what would be an enjoyable album a bit of a chore to get through without reaching for the skip button.

Another album which is even more full of filler is The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. 16 Tracks and there's at least 3 in row just over half way through the album that have no place being there. Makes what would be an enjoyable album a bit of a chore to get through without reaching for the skip button.
Post your playlist.

I think implying that only white people make acceptable hip-hop is more racist.
Beastie Boys and Malcolm MacLaren?
Jesus.

I have edited down a few records. Most recently Steve Mason's Monkey Minds....
It had tons of instrumental interludes that I'm sure he felt important, but when you whittled it down to its core 9 tracks, it was a great record for lashing around on the bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back