Ska guitar (1 Viewer)

specials_uk_back.jpg

like The Specials?

clean clean tones (Roland JC120's appear in a lot of photos and videos) single coil pick ups, maybe teles with the inbetween position, maybe a warm wobbly chorus or phaser for colour, and basically the choppiest right hand rhythm that you can possibly get

look into noise gates as well, these make things silent until they get a signal of a certain strenght (you strumming the strings) then they 'open' and allow a signal thru... then ussually you can set how quickly after the signal stops, or starts to fade, that they 'close', if you set this (the 'release') to a short value, you can clean up your "chops" and get a much neater sound... or you can go extreme and get tiny precussive blasts of guitar a bit of a cheat but worth reading up more about... hope I've explained it all right...

I recorded once with a fella who worked with UB40, he did the most amazing gated bass with kick drum trigger and a synched delay on the snare jiggery pockery... not full on ska by any strech, but put a mild punchy looping quality to the track...

you also get rhythm with the left (fretboard) hand

by lifting your hand really quickly after a strum, you mute the strings, giving a snappy effect

that and a delay pedal and bob's your uncle (a very applicable phrase in ska, when you think about it)

I have no problem with the technique. Ive been playing for years. Just cant seem the get the ska sound right. Cheers for the help on here I'll try it out

It's all about the up-strumming.
A reggae nut guitar player I once knew informed me that down-strums are more authentic ska. Harder to do though. Bit of overdrive won't do you any harm I find so long as you keep the sound thin.
The key is in the timing though, which isn't traditionally a guitar player strong point. No offense to guitar players out there, playing in the pocket isn't all that important for most indie rock guitar playing - different story with ska though

C-barchords might help, I use them a bit for a rounder reggae sound.

Iv got a gibson les paul junior, i notice if i keep the tone sorta bassy it sounds good but it all depends on the amp and effects (if any) you use. Some ppl like their ska real trebely, what ever floats your boat. Small bit of distortion can help too and only hit the bottom 2 or 4 strings

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back