sigh. (1 Viewer)

What a farce

The conviction for the manslaughter of 18-year-old Brian Murphy was quashed today because of decisions taken at the trial about the editing of statements of a co-accused. The court found the conviction was unsafe and should be set aside.
The editing the statements bit I mean

see - here we go, a perfect example of how rich kids get away with murder.
they pouted, cried, said they didnt mean to kill him - "it was an accident" - and they get off with some equivalent of punching someone in the nose sentance. I always feel it's an accident when I kick someone to death with my friends.

theyre unlikely to re-offend though - so I suppose it's completely fair to say "boys will be boys" and let them off.
fair is fair.

wsp011ed_dollar_bag.gif

it's a poor state of affairs, i'll tell ya. an ill boding.

first garda station in ireland was in foxrock. protect the poor richie riches from the proles.

spread a little love though, them gucci loafers may have been scuffed from all that kicking. life ain't easy at the top...

Yes, this sucks. The system is a farce.

btw - there's a similar trial going on in Wexford District Court at the moment about a Swedish guy who was killed in my hometown. Ten people are on trial.

Don't see the media making an issue of their backgrounds. These dudes are most definitely not in the Blackrock college/rugger-bugger mould.

Does this mean if they get off a lot less people will be sighing?

Probably.

avernus said:
see - here we go, a perfect example of how rich kids get away with murder.
they pouted, cried, said they didnt mean to kill him - "it was an accident" - and they get off with some equivalent of punching someone in the nose sentance. I always feel it's an accident when I kick someone to death with my friends.

hmmm....I dunno. There were a lot more people involved than the ones that went on trial. The guys that ended up in court were the ones that actually went to their solicitors and the police about the incident. There are quite a few dudes that got away with this.

spiritualtramp said:
hmmm....I dunno. There were a lot more people involved than the ones that wnet on trial. The guys that ended up in court were the ones that actually went to their solicitors and the police about the incident. There are quite a few dudes that got away with this.

yeah I know, still that doesnt mean its ok that essentially they all get away.

That's true but you can't just say that it's becasue they've got money, the prosecution or the original judge obviously dropped the ball during the trial and I'd blame them more than the blackrock dudes daddy's deep pockets.

The DPP has the option of trying them again although with all the publicity this trial has had I'd imagine that it's impossible to find an impartial jury at this stage.

yeah - 100%

I dont actually think their parents paid anyone off or anything like that, not that its impossible...just improbable.

:)

By the way I'd like to add that I've hated blackrock and everything to do with it since I was playing an under 14 rugby match against them and one of their guys walked across the chest of one of our guys who was lying prone on the ground when the ball was in a ruck 20 yards away.

Hope they all got assraped while they were in prison.

Unicron said:
By the way I'd like to add that I've hated blackrock and everything to do with it since I was playing an under 14 rugby match against them and one of their guys walked across the chest of one of our guys who was lying prone on the ground when the ball was in a ruck 20 yards away.

Hope they all got assraped while they were in prison.

haha - me, I just hated rugby and refused to play. never went to a single match while in school. you can tell those guys are fucking shitheads, though.
If I see them in the street, I'll be sure to say "killer" and "jailbird" etc loudly as the pass.

They're main mistake was taking their principal's advice and volunteering a statement to the gardai - many people involved in the incident didn't pipe up and will never step into a court room.

It just shows you that if you've got the money to pay a top lawyer and give them enough time, they can pick apart nearly any case.

Although it is fair to say that this does seem 'all to nice and easy' for the guys let off for Brian Murphys death you have to remember the circumstances the whole thing was under. The evidence they had against those guys was really minute, there is footage of another guy completely unattached seen kicking Murphy in the head, who was never found. And the point about 'what if this was the lower class' bears relevance, but at the same time anyone involved in a crime like this at the other end of the social ladder could get away with this too, maybe just under less likely circumstances. I' have witnessed cases where young, lower class males have been arrested 3 to 4 times in a day, for various crimes and misdemeanours and let out five minutes later. This is'nt mansluaghter obviously but these people can re-offend countless times in a week. So just because our prisons arent big enough to hold these people thats some how justice? my point is that saying your belief in our criminal justice system has now diminished over the Murphy case is bollox, cause if you look a little closer there is far, far worse corruption and social inequality's taking place........................

Sorry bout that little rant, but i love the underdog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back