Shushing (2 Viewers)

Monkey

Website
www.tshock.net
At Beck last night there were loads of fuckers who kept shushing whenever people were talking in the crowd. Loud talking is annoying but it wasnt even that bad and the shushing was ten times worse. Was anyone else there?

Beck is truely a genius

I was at the back and the talking was too loud. Yes people were Shussshing but, for €34.50 a ticket do you blame them.

Oh by the way, Did I mention that Beck is a genius?

Oh ye did yeah - ye said it the top of yer post there.

But you spelt truly wrong the first time so maybe it's best that you repeated yourself for those who were thrown off by the typo.

Just saying is all.

emm.....yea

Roxy

hoohah. gwan you. Southsiders do my nut in!!!! Only when they refuse to show respect to others, namely those from the northside. Make sense? I also hate northsiders from the likes of Portmarnock and Malahide who have this accent like they're from some fucking foxrock meets east-coast USA scary fusion shite town. It's not that I begrude people money, it's just when it leads to snobbery and disrespect. Disrespect is my big thing, I don't like no disrespect.

repect,

schweh!!

Roxy.|..|

I've found that approching talkers with an attitude of "Hey, I'm really sorry to bother you guys, but I really want to hear the music so would you mind not talking so loud until the music is done?" often works to shut them up and avoid a tug-of-war type situation.

Unless I'm on stage myself introducing one of you lot and then I just tell the audience to shut the fuck up cuz I want to hear the performance. Of course, that isn't really the best way to approach the situation...but I'm not sure what is...at least not yet.

:confused:

Thomas
xo

!baggyyyy

It's kinda sad but i've gotten used to people talking at gigs, it rarely bothers me anymore. I just can't comprehend why people would pay 30 quid to have a conversation with one of their m8s when they could just have easily spent the money on an album and a few cans and sat in their homes having the same poxy conversation.
Oddly, the most obnoxious thing i've seen at a gig recently was done by the singer from one of the bands playing. After playing some of the most godawful shite i've heard come out of dublin in years the singer proceded to play(not in time with the music, just sorta rattling it) with his tambourine for the first 2 songs of the band that were on afterwards, and they were a fairly quiet semi-acoustic group.

come Ed, who was it?

Talkers can be a bit of an annoyance. If i'm ever bottlegging something it just means i'll be on me tippy toes.

What's worst is people dancing. I saw this couple last year who were fucking maniacs. You feel the same loathing as you do for moshers. A bit of popping and tapping is fine but when you starting pushing I've got a problem.

At the cinema last night there were loads of fuckers who kept shushing whenever people were talking in their seats. my loud talking was annoying but it wasnt even that bad and the shushing was ten times worse.

A hissed "shut the fuck up" is worth a dozen shhhes. But these days at Whelans & the like I stick to looking daggers at people, coz you know, the fear.

Are you people for real?

What the fuck are people meant to do? It's not mass you know. It's meant to be a social occasion. Talking and dancing during music is great. If it's some moany sensitive acoustic no-friends listen-to-my-pain, who the fuck cares. Bang the tamborine!

It's a problem with the dublin music scene anyway. It's far too reverential to singer-songwriters and pretend weird country music shitheads.

If you're paying €30 quid to see a gig and are bothered about background noise, maybe it's you who should be going home to listen to it on your stereo. You needn't worry about background noise because there'll probably be no-one there.

Oh yeah, in my experience somewhat limited experience of doing gigs, it's generally a bad thing if people are looking up at you starry-eyed. It means they think you're a deep person or some such shit. If people are talking or whatever it's a much more natural situation and more enjoyable for everyone concerned. Including the performer. You don't want to feel like a museum piece. Rock n' Roll shouldn't be in museum.

Originally posted by Sexton III

What the fuck are people meant to do? It's not mass you know. It's meant to be a social occasion. Talking and dancing during music is great. If it's some moany sensitive acoustic no-friends listen-to-my-pain, who the fuck cares. Bang the tamborine!

It's a problem with the dublin music scene anyway. It's far too reverential to singer-songwriters and pretend weird country music shitheads.

nobody is complaining about people talking to each other per se , it is however people talking really fucking loud that is quite annoying and distracting from the music . and quite frankly it is rather rude to

a) the artist/band

and

B) the crowd

There are 6000 pubs in Dublin for folks to go and fucking talk in.

Live music, the kind of which many of us in Thumpedland make, deserves to be heard in a concert setting.

We aren't talking about a fucking wedding band! :mad:

WE CAN DEFINE OUR OWN ENVIRONMENT. We can change the culture of apathy and greed by demanding an environment where our performances are given the respect that we happily help to create for our fellows.

What is so fucking hard to grasp about that?

If you want to talk, go to the fucking pub or disco where talking is a celebrated thing, heck I'll even meet you there after the performance...but don't come to a performance of music and start talking about blah blah blah when everyone has paid money to listener to the damn music.

Don't tolerate it. Not from ourselves, our friends or from strangers.

Performance is sacred, no matter how bizarre the art form or how loud the guitars are. Treat it as such.

!baggyyyy

Looking daggers doesn't work, in my experience. Best to just ask the offender to be quiet before you get enraged - if you're pretty calm and nice about it you're more likely to get heeded.

Alternatively I've seen "Shut the fuck up, right" said in a very threatening manner used to great effect indeed by both a giant and a dangerous-looking moustachioed character at a Damien Dempsey gig ... their appearance might have helped their case, of course

I'm terrible for talking at the Ballroom ... sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back