Shafted by a heroin addict (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
The other night, this dude comes up to me looking for some cash. He spoke with a heroin accent and was pretty strewn out, but not aggressive or anything. I was like, ah sorry man, but he goes "look maan, I'll give you all this change (about 15 euro in a fiver and coins) if you give me €20. And he put it all in my hand. So I sigh, and say "go on then" and give him a €20. Then he goes, "ah maan, thanks verrry much, and look, I'll eh, just take this back" and gently takes back his fiver and all his change, and slopes off down the road, leaving me empty handed and going "but, but,".

Its only €20 quid, and he has much bigger issues than me, but still! Talk about feeling like a spoon!

The other night, this dude comes up to me looking for some cash. He spoke with a heroin accent and was pretty strewn out, but not aggressive or anything. I was like, ah sorry man, but he goes "look maan, I'll give you all this change (about 15 euro in a fiver and coins) if you give me €20. And he put it all in my hand. So I sigh, and say "go on then" and give him a €20. Then he goes, "ah maan, thanks verrry much, and look, I'll eh, just take this back" and gently takes back his fiver and all his change, and slopes off down the road, leaving me empty handed and going "but, but,".

Its only €20 quid, and he has much bigger issues than me, but still! Talk about feeling like a spoon!

Dude. Jesus.
Don't make eye contact with these cunts.
Don't say anything other than 'no' and just move the fuck on. They don't talk to everyone, just marks they think they can get something out of. The weak.
And never give them your money.

No offence, but you need to seriously smarten the fuck up. It's not that dangerous a city, but it is if you're this gullible.

Learn from this, and if I were you I'd stop telling people.

fucking hell. man... listen to 7 no tomorrow; stay WELL away.

if it makes you feel better though, I foolishly lent 200 pesos
(about $20) to a guy I had been hanging out with for a few days in mexico. I say foolishly because I had no idea he was a recovering crack addict; he disappeared for most of the day before coming back to the hostel in a sweaty fucked up mess to beg for more money. I was pretty pissed off at myself, but you but live and learn... he disappeared after that. pretty sad; he was actually a pretty sound dude.

And he put it all in my hand. So I sigh, and say "go on then" and give him a €20. Then he goes, "ah maan, thanks verrry much, and look, I'll eh, just take this back" and gently takes back his fiver and all his change, and slopes off down the road, leaving me empty handed and going "but, but,".

this is where you should have done things differently

Yep, for sure. At the very least you should have put all the change etc in your pocket before giving him the €20.

That said, next time you should persist in the "sorry dude" approach and kept walking.

Not that that always works though, a few weeks ago this old drunk approached me with his hand out. I'd no money on me and I had headphones on so I just shook my head and kept walking, so he tried to block the path and grab hold of me. It was about 9 at night and there was nobody around. I said "please leave me alone" and moved to dodge him, all the time trying to figure out what I'd do if he tried again and wondering whether I'd break the bottle of wine in it if I hit him with my bag. Got past him and kept walking with him trying to keep up and then resorting to just hurling abuse at my back. It was only when I'd left him and his squawking behind that I realised how scared I was.

Anyway, at least you didn't get hurt.

is the old horse making a comeback in Dublin then?

used to be all the rage when I was a nipper. They even filmed a heroin advert near where i lived. You know that arch near the bridge over to the dodder near Landsdowne Rd Dart station?
Always smelled of pish and heroin in there.

this is the latest junkie begging/petty theft line..
smack head came up to me on the street the other day asking for change of a hundred, rambling about his wife being in the office and his kid in the creche. He then proceeded to bang on the window of a communion dress shop on blessington st. going 'here do yis have change for a hundred euros'. now that i think about it, he could have been in hedge funds...

i was trying to buy weed off a dodgy dude in cork when i was about 16 before (the notorious mickey no mates) and as we were haggling he put his cheap ass walkman in my paw and told me how it was really expensive and full of yolks "dats ur insurance bi, caz i has to go around the corner to get the shit like" he was a big bastard and i was scared shitless. it was just the two of us down some catpiss alley, so i said grand. just before he left with my money, he goes "better give me dat walkman too bi" and off he went. anyone ever meet this guy mickey? another trick he used to do was ask you for "irish notes so i can show my foreign friend what they look like, i'll give it back to ya bi..." used to always wear a chicago buls top and a baseball cap and go on about his imaginary girlfriend as if that made him more trustworthy.

Yep, for sure. At the very least you should have put all the change etc in your pocket before giving him the €20.

That said, next time you should persist in the "sorry dude" approach and kept walking.

Not that that always works though, a few weeks ago this old drunk approached me with his hand out. I'd no money on me and I had headphones on so I just shook my head and kept walking, so he tried to block the path and grab hold of me. It was about 9 at night and there was nobody around. I said "please leave me alone" and moved to dodge him, all the time trying to figure out what I'd do if he tried again and wondering whether I'd break the bottle of wine in it if I hit him with my bag. Got past him and kept walking with him trying to keep up and then resorting to just hurling abuse at my back. It was only when I'd left him and his squawking behind that I realised how scared I was.

Jesus Squiggle, thats awful. I was just an idiot, but your experience was much worse.

Apparently the heroin problem has gone nuclear in Dublin.

Jesus Squiggle, thats awful. I was just an idiot, but your experience was much worse.

Apparently the heroin problem has gone nuclear in Dublin.

When I got home I began to think that I was an idiot. When he tried to block my path I should have screamed my head off and run, not walked :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't think the heroin problem ever went away, it just got pushed down the back streets.

A shit situation but you did the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back