Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by Pantone247
girls are gross

I used to know a girl

but she was all about fancy paper and making me play mammys and daddys

eeeuuuwwwwww!!!

I seem to have completely missed out on this fancy paper thing, maybe it's cuz i went to an all boys school. But i only heard about it for the first time when i arrived in university and i still don't get it. IT'S FUCKING PAPER!!!!!

I got in trouble in school in the 80's for eating the best piece of a girls fancy paper! Her parents were called in and everything! I think they went a bit far, I was only six. I'd just got over my eating Peat Moss stage, I was progressing.

Oh man...
I used to love those scented rubber eraser things... I used to eat them... They smelled so nice... They tasted foul though... but then they'd smell so nice I'd eat them again.

ogdens nutgone flake? first side has some hard chopping hat tipping r'n'b cockney bugaloo, the second side dabbles in concept, relating the tale of happiness stans quest in all its pastoral psychedelic splendour. it's probably an acquired taste thing, i suppose if your not into english psychedelia (particularly the lusher stuff that deram and parlaphone released like hollies 'butterfly' the moodies 'in search of a lost chord' etc.) then don't bother. it's of a time when the ace face took it to the country, swopped prellies for nordle, lay back on the grass and stared at the fluffy clouds.

Originally posted by the snitch
ogdens nutgone flake? first side has some hard chopping hat tipping r'n'b cockney bugaloo, the second side dabbles in concept, relating the tale of happiness stans quest in all its pastoral psychedelic splendour. it's probably an acquired taste thing, i suppose if your not into english psychedelia (particularly the lusher stuff that deram and parlaphone released like hollies 'butterfly' the moodies 'in search of a lost chord' etc.) then don't bother. it's of a time when the ace face took it to the country, swopped prellies for nordle, lay back on the grass and stared at the fluffy clouds.

hippy.

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
thats right silo.glad you got the message so soon.
as well as being thick about the music us ladies are also fierce protective of our fellas.

I almost banned himself from going out for a pint with you last friday night but he said he would behave so I let him go out as long as he reported to me every 10 minutes via text message.

!baggyyyy

damn straight.

house arrest.

and a diet of scrambled eggys

nummy num

with regard to sexism in equipment stores though, (and i know this is a bit late out of the blocks, but i haven't been here in a few days) i think a lot of the music maker staff are just going to be grade a pricks when you're dealing with them anyway, regardless of what gender you are. classic example....

i went into mm with my sister a few months back and i was looking at a new synth module. i got a set of headphones from the bloke and started messing with it. when i was leaving my sister said that when i put the headphones on the guy said "ah, he probably hasn't a clue what hes doing, hes too young and too trendy...."

i have bought so much gear from them over the years.

haven't been back since

:(

Originally posted by herv
when i was leaving my sister said that when i put the headphones on the guy said "ah, he probably hasn't a clue what hes doing, hes too young and too trendy...."

i have bought so much gear from them over the years.

haven't been back since

:(

Damn straight, I don't go there either for similar reasons. What a bunch of bitter pricks. Yeah, your band didn't make it, you're going bald, so why not act like a prick. Gah. The blokes in Musician are quite sweet though, they seem quite enthusiastic.

Originally posted by stunning
Dude, that was ME! I thought you were into it.

oh, mr. stunning, i think i passed you by in temple bar last night... i was in a rush though so i can't be sure. were you with your parents or something?

here's a thing, but:

assume, for the sake of argument, that we are being sexist in thedublinindepedentscene, whether intentionally or not. also assume that we accept this premise and are morally bound to act on it by challenging our own assumptions about what other forms of opression are being manifested in thedublinindepedentscene. if you get me. so...

are we homophobic? (most probably.) are we racist? (again, most probably.) are we discriminating against the disabled? (this last question is something i was thinking about a while ago when i had a chat with my mum about thedublinindepedentscene; she teaches disabled kids and was saying that we didn't seem to give a shit about access for them: how many gig venues are upstairs, for example.)

the thing is, we could reach a point of infinite regression here. to what extent are we morally bound to do something about forms of opression? of course we should do something, and i'm not trying to make an excuse for lack of action, but... well, but something; i'm not quite sure how to end that sentence without there being a touch of patronising self-righteousness to it. but it is worth considering.

and at this point, about "political correctness", has anyone seen or read oleanna by david mamet? i thought it was really great at getting to the sort of grey areas in "political correctness". or political corectness, sans inverted commas, if you will...

(and a couple of links... synopsis, context, characters, summary, themes and questions. sorry if that's a ridiculous amount of information.)

i suppose that's one advantage of playing a non-rawk instrument - i've never got much attitude from, eg, vendors of clarinet reeds.

Originally posted by minka
i suppose that's one advantage of playing a non-rawk instrument - i've never got much attitude from, eg, vendors of clarinet reeds.

i've never had much guff either. and i'm allus nicking stuff or trying to get it for free.

Originally posted by silo
the thing is, we could reach a point of infinite regression here. to what extent are we morally bound to do something about forms of opression? of course we should do something, and i'm not trying to make an excuse for lack of action, but... well, but something; i'm not quite sure how to end that sentence without there being a touch of patronising self-righteousness to it. but it is worth considering.

Em ... what? Are you asking for ideas on what it is we should do? Or are you saying that we shouldn't do anything because <reason not given>?

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
Damn straight, I don't go there either for similar reasons. What a bunch of bitter pricks. Yeah, your band didn't make it, you're going bald, so why not act like a prick. Gah. The blokes in Musician are quite sweet though, they seem quite enthusiastic.

a lot of the music tech guys in mm write midi files as a side money earner.

traditional irish midi files.

i've gone in there and often found one of them hammering away at a digital piano to the tune of the fields of athenry.

hoo hoo

kind of gratifying when you think about it.

Originally posted by silo
oh, mr. stunning, i think i passed you by in temple bar last night... i was in a rush though so i can't be sure. were you with your parents or something?

<whisper> dude! that was his sister and her husband!

man, is she gonna kill you!:D

Originally posted by snakybus

Hey Thomas. I thought I saw you yesterday too. You weren't in the arrivals lounge of Dublin Airport at around 9.30am yesterday now were you? I think I might have just thought it was you because the flight from Chicago had just landed and you're from Chicago, yeah, well...Umm.

Originally posted by egg_
Em ... what? Are you asking for ideas on what it is we should do? Or are you saying that we shouldn't do anything because <reason not given>?

em, wrong end of the stick. i'm not saying we shouldn't do anything. i suppose i'm looking for ideas,or other perspectives, or anyone else who's been thinking about stuff in sort of the same way... i was just thinking about the implications of addressing forms of oppression and got confused by the implications and counter-implications very quickly, so i didn't come to a conclusion cos that would've been glib and unhelpful. y'dig?

Originally posted by snakybus

eh...

shit.

in my defence, your honour, it was dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back