Sexism in Dublin's music scene...discuss. (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by kirstie
yeah so anyway, I got V: the original miniserious on DVD in Virgin for 12.99 at the weekend, and basically ran home as fast as my legs would carry me to watch it. But the fucking thing only goes up to as far as just before Robin gives birth to the reptile babby. Fucking raging I am.

how many episodes?

Originally posted by silo

plus... what spiritualtramp said. i have to agree with her now, or i'll never see him again. :)

thats right silo.glad you got the message so soon.
as well as being thick about the music us ladies are also fierce protective of our fellas.

I almost banned himself from going out for a pint with you last friday night but he said he would behave so I let him go out as long as he reported to me every 10 minutes via text message.

!baggyyyy

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
how many episodes?

yeah, I dunno really. The whole thing is 189 minutes long on a double sided disc, and is done basically as 2 episodes of 95 mins but ends before lizard child clears the womb. In anyway I am at home fixing my mothers printer and have entered a heated debate with my da as to when the reptile baby was born - he says it wasn't in the first series but I always thought it was. Hmmm.

Originally posted by kirstie
yeah, I dunno really. The whole thing is 189 minutes long on a double sided disc, and is done basically as 2 episodes of 95 mins but ends before lizard child clears the womb. In anyway I am at home fixing my mothers printer and have entered a heated debate with my da as to when the reptile baby was born - he says it wasn't in the first series but I always thought it was. Hmmm.

so did I...

Originally posted by Lolo
and didn't try and steal anything (which has happened - somebody once tried to scarper with my Sticky-Fingers-with-a-zip-on-it).

I'm very paranoid about leaving my record bag alone in there, the oddest theft story i heard in there was a month or 2 back someone was djing in the bar, he turned around to grab a record and when he turned back one of the slipmats he'd brought was gone, and the same thing happened with the other one 20 mins later. Apparantly people are always thefting the needles too. Only experienced one thing like that in there, on the first night i ever djed there, where a very drunk girl wanted to look at a cd of mine, so i was nice and handed it over. when she wouldn't give it back things almost got ugly very quickly cuz her boyfriend was there, he seemed even more pissed off with her than i was.

Originally posted by Morn
Originally posted by Psychotic no. 2
On topic of the rest of this stuff - someone made the point that girls should not be promoted for just being girls and I agree 100%. Positive discrimination is still discrimination and it really bugs me - it was suggested by Thomas in some of his comments. People should get gigs based on talent and that kinda schtuff - the fact that you're making divisions into boys and girls I think leads to sexism. No band gets stuff done for them... possibly excepting Louis Walsh's proteges but even they have to work bloody hard to get his attention. I don't think it's hard for girls to play successfully in bands - it's hard for everyone - takes a decent level of dedication and commitment. There are less girls on the scene because less have tried. That's all. Not girls can't do it or girls encounter special problems. Just less have got around to trying to be in a band.

Just want to clarify as I think I may have been misunderstood. I would NEVER, EVER, NEVER promote a gig by saying "Look, we've got a girl in this band!" That's gross.

I'm saying that until the world becomes a more equitable place to live, work and play in - then those who sit in a position of privilege take some responsibility to create opportunities and a welcoming spirit to those who have been marginalized. That's ALL I'm saying.

Thomas

I'm not convinced that anyone has been marginalized. You said yourself that the scene where you came from was gender-imbalanced in the other direction - did this mean that male artists there were marginalized?

Anyway maybe that's a separate question. I do think that anyone who has discriminated against people for their gender or whatever is unlikely to be the one who attempts to create an opportunity like you mentioned.

So basically you are asking people who treat everyone even-handedly to give special attention to some groups.

It still don't seem right to me but I think your heart is in the right place. I agree with you 100% about the welcoming spirit but as I mentioned above I think it should be applied to everyone regardless of who they are.

Originally posted by Morn
I'm not convinced that anyone has been marginalized.

Generally when you've got a scene that is dominated by one sex, one race, one hairdo,...it's hard for anyone who doesn't belong to that group to get involved even if it is just because of their own insecurity or fear. The marginalisation is usually automatic and unintentional but it does exist.

Originally posted by stunning
I'm saying that until the world becomes a more equitable place to live, work and play in - then those who sit in a position of privilege take some responsibility to create opportunities and a welcoming spirit to those who have been marginalized.

I like that. Eloquently put sir

I think the marginalization thing comes with any scene.
I just think it has to be watched. When any group gets together they start making assumptions about norms... I mean you only have to look at the reception some non-underground/non-diy/less obscure rock n'roll folk get when they post questions on Thumped. Is it not possible that some people are also having negative knee-jerk reactions to girls-with-guitars?

Also keep in mind how sensitive some of the males on this board are about criticism... tis the artistic temperment afterall. Now imagine that combined with not-being a bearded, music cataloguing, scenester-boy in a post-rock band....

Me, I have no problems. Being a beige hermaphrodite I fit in everywhere.

Originally posted by hapi
this has gone WAY beyond boring. girls fucking rule, so much more "where with all" than boys, we all know it, so shurrup!

you sexist bastard.

outside now. lets see who can finish that decaf mocha latte with soy milk the quickest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back