School question (1 Viewer)

Reets

Supporter
Solutions
I'd an argument with a friend yesterday as she insisted that if I don't send Eve to a private secondary school, I'll be directly responsible for limiting what she'll be able to achieve in life.
Is there a huge difference between public and fee paying secondary schools in Ireland?
Personally I don't see the problem with going to a decent public one, but does anyone have a different opinion?

That's bollocks. There's totally snob value attached. If there's decent structures in place in the school for afterschool study, PE is actually PE and not just dossing and there's reasonable teachers there is no difference. I'd watch the teachers though in public schools as I have had some really shit ones in the past.

As for you being responsible, your level of income dictates whether that is an option or now.

dunno what she's on about. unless she means your child won't be able to get into the freemasons later on in life if she doesn't go to private school but sure women aren't allowed anyway.

I'd an argument with a friend yesterday as she insisted that if I don't send Eve to a private secondary school, I'll be directly responsible for limiting what she'll be able to achieve in life.
Is there a huge difference between public and fee paying secondary schools in Ireland?
Personally I don't see the problem with going to a decent public one, but does anyone have a different opinion?

I only know from the perspective of someone who's dealt with some of the different schools, and there are some truly awesome state schools out there, and because the context involves programmes that generally only very motivated teachers would access, I've met more good ones than bad ones (although I've met some bad ones in other contexts).

The quality of a school mostly depends on how it's run, how dedicated the teachers are (which is, of course, based partly on how well the school is managed by the senior staff), and how well-resourced it is. Mostly, though, it's down to the teachers. I've been so impressed by some of the absolutely excellent folks who bring kids into the place where I volunteer, and thus with the enthusiasm of the kids.

I get the impression that the fee-paying situation here is different from the way it would have been in the US, where there's a number of reasons people would send kids to private school, and it's more often centred on choosing based on educational philosophy (or it was where I grew up, since the public schools were good, or were good on paper at least), like whether or not the student benefits from a non-traditional approach. Since everyone takes the leaving, and therefore there is less flexibility in choice of educational philosophy, it's obviously very different here. And from what I've heard from people, overall, you're no more and no less likely to get what you need educationally from a private school than a public one.

Private schools tend to have more kids going to university, but that's because the people who choose them for their kids generally expect them to go to university in the first place.

Have you thought about Irish-speaking schools? Everyone I know who went to one had a great experience.

Anyway, that's just my perspective, someone who didn't go through the Irish secondary system, but has seen a bit of it from the outside.

schools all teach the same curriculum and everyone takes the same memory test exams come leaving cert, don't think it matters that much, i didn't have a huge amount of great teachers and a fair few shitheads, a lot of it is down to the pupil themselves. i'd say the women are probably nicer looking in private schools tho, so you're probably limiting your child there alright.

I don't think there is a huge amount of difference. I know someone who resents his parents for not sending him to private school cos he think his career would have been easier if he had made connections with the 'people that matter'. I think he would do better in his career if he wasn't a cock.

I don't think there is a huge amount of difference. I know someone who resents his parents for not sending him to private school cos he think his career would have been easier if he had made connections with the 'people that matter'. I think he would do better in his career if he wasn't a cock.

wallstreet460.jpg

I tried getting her into an Irish speaking secondary school and even though i was getting lessons, my Irish wasn't good enough for them to let her in.
Paying for it isn't really a issue as most likely she'll be an only child, and I'm hoping to have found a job in the 4 years before she starts secondary school (I'm not talking about the 10k+ per annum schools, just run of the mill private).

Half my friends from college went to private schools, so it didn't really help them but at the same time I obviously want what's best for her, and don't want my choices to ruin her future.

Well my parents sent us all to public school. We were all fine until it came to my fourth sister who was basically on the doss alot and had the attitude she'd get the points and didn't need to study. They sent her to a private school for her final year and while it changed her attitude towards study it didnt' get her any more points.

i knew a guy that fucked up the leaving in public school, then repeated in private school 3 years running, adding roughly 5 points to his leaving score every year.

I had a scholarship for the only private school in the vicinity but the public one was better so I went there.

Therefore everyone else should do the same thing.

~fin~

I tried getting her into an Irish speaking secondary school and even though i was getting lessons, my Irish wasn't good enough for them to let her in.
Paying for it isn't really a issue as most likely she'll be an only child, and I'm hoping to have found a job in the 4 years before she starts secondary school (I'm not talking about the 10k+ per annum schools, just run of the mill private).

Half my friends from college went to private schools, so it didn't really help them but at the same time I obviously want what's best for her, and don't want my choices to ruin her future.

There's an organisation based on Lombard St in town, and they provide all kinds of materials to help families who want to raise their kids through Irish. I'm sure they would help get yer Irish up to scratch if you wanted to pursue that route. I can't remember what it's called, but I can find out.

Or maybe someone here knows?

Anyway, yeah, it's really down to what she needs, and how the school will meet those needs. She's a hilarious kid and obviously very bright, so it's more important to do what you can to help support that brightness and awesomeness, even if she might not have all the best teachers all the time.

The best teachers are not necessarily in private schools, and much of it is down to the kind of support a child gets at home, too. Eve clearly gets lots and has a smart, cool, awesome mom, so you could probably send her to the worst school ever and she'd still turn out fab. Basically, you know what Eve needs, no matter what general trends indicate, and you and she together will be able to gauge whether those educational needs are being met, and how to close the gap when there is one. Yizzers will be fine, no matter what you and she choose.

I went to a private school for a year. Was pretty glad to return to the old school after a year. Facilities were better in the private place, some of the teachers were better (most were considerably worse), but I think all of the teachers who really left an impression on me were from the first school.

Odd story:

I was standing in a big scrum of a queue at the school shop one day, soon after I returned to the old school. The Principal, a big gruff priest, was standing beside me. I suggested that as a 5th year I should be allowed bunk the queue ahead of all these 3rd years in from of me, as would have been the norm in the private place.

He didn't say a word, but the look he gave me fucking changed my life. It's like he was saying "you don't know how much of a fool you have just made of yourself, you're young, you'll realise soon, and I feel sorry for you because the realisation will be painful"

It took me a while to see it but what these private schools are teaching is not maths and science, it's entitlement. Fuck em.

I went to online private school, and I learned some crazy shit for my $320 P.A.

No no - I did go to a non fee-paying school, and it was grand. I turned out excellently, but I can't do even the simplest multiplication task. :(

these were the schools in my town:

cbs - my school, hurling, milk, hurling
tech - knackers and ravers, high dropout rate after junior cert.
convent - slutty girls, some geeks.
college - proddy private school, girls were lashers with "you can fuck me if you can catch me ya dirty little micks" look about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back