School question (1 Viewer)

school of rock link

most self made millionares are actually early public school leavers with trades or entreprenurial skills, those who graduate and become doctors/rich things tend to have such terrible financial habits coupled with a skewed view of status which means that typically they will be spending 30% of thier earnings on useless stuff, like credit card interest and a mercedes thats 8 months younger then the already are. very often retire into a quite normal life over the head of this. those with a high financial investment in thier youth very often remain semi dependent into thier mid 40's. this data is based on the usa in the 70's - 90's.

extracurricular was really bad in my school, art was done on second hand bits of paper, rugby lasted one week, basketball selection was based on how many 3 pointers you can get out of 10, no music, hurling was the be all and end all, with 5 or 6 trainers. didn't even have a soccer team ffs.

I went to a good all girls non fee paying school and I could see little difference in the results that our school got and those of the fee paying girls school that friends of mine went to. In terms of university places I think my old school got far more than the fee paying one.

I think it depends on the help the kid gets at home. Also I think girls do better in single sex schools.

Maybe the fee paying thing is more relevant in Dublin but I dont think its that big of a deal. Although I do have a friend who grew up in a nice area in Dublin who still gets asked what school he went to. Those people are usually self important assholes.

So in short tell your friend to get fucked and mind their own business, you can raise your kid the way you want to raise her.

I plan to let my children run wild through the forest and forage and fend for themselves. Is that berry poisonous? Don't ask me! Did Grizzly Adams have a dad to ask about these things? This is how you learn, kids.

I plan to let my children run wild through the forest and forage and fend for themselves. Is that berry poisonous? Don't ask me! Did Grizzly Adams have a dad to ask about these things? This is how you learn, kids.

You should perhaps move to a forest to facilitate this method. Or a cliffside perhaps.

There was a thread on here a while back about public and private and a few of the teachers who post here (and who had worked at both types of school) were making the point that the standard of teaching is not higher in private schools.

The main benefit might be that the kids in a private school would be from a more affluent background and maybe would be expected to go to college if their parents went to college.

Maybe it's best to find out which are the good schools from parents in the area rather than getting hung up on public or private.

My story is as follows:
Private school run by nuns - Got the shit beat out of me by the nuns
Public Christian Bros school - Got the shit kicked out of me by christian bros
Public Catholic Boys School - again, got the shit kicked out of me
finally
Normal public school (with one "school chaplain" who wouldn't say boo to a goose) - Found out I was dyslexic, treated like a human being and allowed to peruse artistic endeavors.

Conclusion; avoid religious or private schools like the plague (especially in the late 70's and 80's).

I'd an argument with a friend yesterday as she insisted that if I don't send Eve to a private secondary school, I'll be directly responsible for limiting what she'll be able to achieve in life.
Is there a huge difference between public and fee paying secondary schools in Ireland?
Personally I don't see the problem with going to a decent public one, but does anyone have a different opinion?

My experience in the last few years with my work in the UK is that where I went to college is more of an issue than where I went to school. It isn't a barrier as such but if I had studied in Oxford/Cambridge/RCA etc etc more doors would be opened more easily.

It's usually when your talking with professors in prestigious universities and *the* question always creeps in "oooo, very good. so where did you study" with the following reply of "oooo. I see."

The fact I went to a public school isn't the problem at all - it's what you do after.

In saying that, it's all bollox and screw those guys anyway.. .|..|

for what it's worth a couple of years ago I worked with a fella who had two little girls, one night in the pub he was talking about having the principal of the local Church of Ireland school over for lunch so he sweet talk her into maybe considering taking his roman catholic children into her school, I was pretty surprised at this sort of thing, but as the conversation went on different people had similar stories, all very social networky sorts of nonsense about getting their kids into the 'right' schools.

Most, if not all, of these people were from Rugby playing deep southside enclaves, if one was to use a term like 'west-brit', which is a concept I'm a bit 'meh-heh' about, one could've dropped it on most of these folks.... though I was amused to see a very, what I'd consider 'English' attitude to schools, the 'right' schools, some how seeing taditionally catholic schools as lesser, stuff like that, in Dublin, in the 00's

I guess some people grew up in an enviroment where these things matter and I didn't. They only difference between the two primary schools in my town were that one wore blue uniforms (bluebottles) and one wore green (snots) and that was that. I don't think at this point in time it *really* matters, all schools are going to have their ups and downs

a good friend of mine got 600 pts in his leaving and I got less then half that, in terms of the physical building we went too and the staff that worked there, we both had the same starting point. Only he was smart, focused and attentive and I was drew all over every blank surface I could get my biro on for 5 years.

IMHO attitudes to education from home (or the community in general) probably means a lot more in the long run (for better or worse) and with modern ciriculums and teacher training and such things, the difference between one institution is probably a bit of a technicality

IMHO

Get sledged sideways into a private school for my leaving cert years for not doing anything and here's what came of it:

almost literally no difference in educational achievements in general for kids, but I definitely did better. This was because the reason I was there was a much higher teacher to student ratio, and my da basically asked the teachers to keep a close eye on me, which in fairness to them, they did.

Had a couple of unbelievable teachers who got consistent 80% A1s out of entire classes, but lots of shit ones got away with not teaching anything, as opposed to the public system where most of them seemed too worn and hassled to give a shit, that was the biggest difference for me.

Any practical subjects like woodwork or art etc were criminally shit or just didn't exist.

When my sister started college after having a year in private school she said she really struggled with college. Private schools because the emphasis is so much on results and doing well they don't necessary teach in the best way either. Learning off is encouraged rather than allowing student to learn through thinking for themselves. She's doing arts now and struggles with english particularly. I found that from being in a public school where discussion was encouraged and ideas were valueds from students that this stood to me when I did the same course.

I wanted to add that when I said "it's all bollox" i was referring to most mainstream forms of education.

I think the results focussed schools are actually creating the wrong type of people that society (e.g. communities AND business) needs - i.e. creative, imaginative, empathetic, passionate, visionary, resourceful, inter/intra/trans-disciplinary, challenging, dreaming, entrepreneurial and enterprising young people.

Countries like Denmark, Finland and Sweden only start formal education at 7. There have been lots of studies showing how this can create more creative/scientific and innovative people if developed within the right frameworks.

http://www.oecd.org/document/60/0,3343,en_2649_201185_39700732_1_1_1_1,00.html

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Private schools because the emphasis is so much on results and doing well they don't necessary teach in the best way either. Learning off is encouraged rather than allowing student to learn through thinking for themselves.

Are you referringto traditional style private schools or the grind school type of places like the institute?

Incidentally, if you're worried about networking, in my experience any benefit of a school connection evaporates within ten seconds of starting a career and after that it depends on your professional reputation among those you work with. Noone is going to waste their own money on an incompetent old school chum.

Noone is going to waste their own money on an incompetent old school chum.
No, but if you know someone reasonably capable from school who's working in some field and you need some work done in that particular field, likelihood is you'll ring them up rather than searching round a bunch of people you've never met

Probably most useful if you went to school with a bunch of people who are all in the same line of business, and you can refer work to each other. I can't imagine a Law Library feeder school being much good to you if you choose a career in ballet, say, or physics or, indeed, the civil service

I've written and deleted a bunch of posts about private versus public schools. What I was trying to say is this - there's a lot more to school than your ultimate career. Who benefits from hothousing rich kids, or clever kids, so that they grow up without any contact with poor people, or stupid people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back