Russia and its neighbours... (1 Viewer)

Rimbaud said:
Hope you don`t mind me asking - was the volunteer work in conjunction with college/study?Like did you have to have qualifications or meet certain requirements(or pay a load of money) to be accepted as a volunteer?

I did intend on going to Russia this year to Lake Baikal volunteering for these guys:
http://www.earthisland.org/ecotours/volunteer/eurasia/baikal.html

...but i got side-tracked/decided to do other things instead.

But i`ll definatly(all going well) be going the start of this summer for a few months.
We hang around with a very good guy who likes to help Russian street children. It was totally informal and was a holiday with buddies as much as a volunteering endeavour. We paid for it all out of our own pockets (except Broken Arm who robbed a bunch of sick people and old ladies) and it was worth every penny.

Queen Buzzo said:
We hang around with a very good guy who likes to help Russian street children. It was totally informal and was a holiday with buddies as much as a volunteering endeavour. We paid for it all out of our own pockets (except Broken Arm who robbed a bunch of sick people and old ladies) and it was worth every penny.

perm yeah?

Hye Miss Piggy, nope, i`m not rich enough or fit enough to go to Kamchatka, its meant to be pretty expensive for expeditions there.Siberia was great though, bloody warm as hell for the few weeks i was there!
A gnag of us treked 50 km from Ust-Barguzin to the shore of lake Baikal(east side of the lake) , over 8 days building bridges over rivers and clearing away trails along the way.It got pretty cold in the tents at night, of course i was the only one to bring a summer sleeping bag with me.The others had been to Nepal and stuff, real outdoor people...healthy and all that stuff.I sweated tears the first day, walking upa mountian with a rucksack, 2 weeks worht of food, an ax and a cutters.Hardest day of my life.
Ulan Ude was a cool city, don`t believe the shite Lonely Planet writes, i don`t know what the researchers were doing - they write theres no food joints(shit loads of them) and recommend to go to the hotels for a beer(shtloads of cool bars too).Mopes.

'The kids are alright'! here in Perm.My secon day at the shelter finished a few hours ago, they took the piss out of my lack of russian though!!!:(
Perm is pretty good though, best city i`ve been to after Moscow!
Must go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back