Night Marchers (feat Speedo from Rocket From The Crypt) & Dan Sartain (1 Viewer)

u:m

U:MACK
present

Night Marchers
(Featuring Speedo from Rocket From The Crypt)
Very Special Guest Dan Sartain

Saturday Nov 21
Crawdaddy
Doors 7.30 (early show)
Tickets €14 from Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar, Spindizzy, & online at www.tickets.ie/umack
www.myspace.com/thenightmarchers
www.myspace.com/dansartain
www.myspace.com/umackproductions

Speedo from rocket From The Crypt brings his latest band, the incredible Night Marchers to Dublin for the first time on saturday nov 21 in Crawdaddy. Support comes from Alabama's finest Dan Sartain

NightMarchers567.jpg

NIGHTMARCHERS
After inventing stainless steel and "Ass Kicking Rock and Roll"®, here they go again reinventing the MP3! It’s a new year and another handful of mind-blowing rat turds are flung at the “scene.” Your iPod never sounded as crispy. Ladies and Gentleman…. I present to you the next SoCal, mall punk, stupor group; THE NIGHT MARCHERS!.... apparitions of modern day street warriors that manifest in the neglected corners of subterranean, Rock ‘n Roll lore.

Take Speedo (ex Rocket from the Crypt barker/broom swinger, Hot Snakes riff architect, Drive Like Jehu octavarian, The Sultans booking agent, Pitchfork stylist, and lest not forget Swami Records honcho humungous and KBZT 94.9 FM DJ to the stars). Then add the black Irish of Dner (ex Hot Snakes subsonic maestro, current Beehive and the Barracudas legal representative, White Apes roadie and merchandise coordinator, and of course, I would be remiss to not mention his ongoing contributions to the field of recording science at the helm of Strange Sounds recording studio). Now reinforce these bad intentions with Thee Mount Olympus of all rhythm sections. Literally, an all-Greek powerhouse suspended by Ionic fortitude and bathed in a distilled olive oil suitable for the same rectal lubrication that eased in democracy and the Olympics. J. Sinclair K. propels these files with the same vintage overload he brought on the drums while steering Hot Snakes, Delta 72,
Bardo Pond and Mule. At the ripe young age of 56, newcomer Thomas Kitsos, aka Titus Gangbangus of CPC Gangbangs fame, lays a heavy pipe on the four string bass guitar. Tommy recently relocated to San Diego from Montreal where his father owns and operates a Greek Restaurant, and his mother is a witch/fortune teller. After one listen to the band’s earliest demos, the Department of Naturalization & Immigration granted Titus a green card with no questions asked. A quick Wikipedia search will tell you no less.

DAN SARTAIN
Busting outta Birmingham, Alabammy, 21 year old Dan Sartain is a troubadour on course to collide into greatness. His Swami debut, "Dan Sartain Vs. The Serpientes, culls recordings past and present to put forth a cohesive work that showcases this unsuspecting talent. Ranging from ramshackle, bent, rock n roll, delineation that combines aspects of punk's forefathers/mothers with the greasy mind of a fourth generation coal miner, to beautifully sparse arrangements of eloquent despair, to downright perverse inclinations, "Dan Sartain Vs. The Serpientes" at times sounds as if Jonathan Richman wanted to be Hank Williams instead of Lou Reed or if The Voidoids were fronted by Hasil Adkins. Don't get me wrong. This ain't country-fried, barroom, pap that reeks of the post-punk midlife crisis. This is the true voice of a man/boy searching and unaware.

I first met Dan in Nashville summer of '98. He was there to break into the biz and break out of Birmingham. A boy and a guitar. He passed along a self released LP ("Dan Sartain and the Crimson Guard") that featured his earliest work recorded on a 4 track cassette recorder. Some time had passed when Rocket from the Crypt axe man/bad dude N.D. urged me to finally spin the thing. He had received one as well and was floored. My reaction, a similar one, and I vowed to keep an eye on this burgeoning force. I used my then radio DJ gig to test some of his tunes out on the unsuspecting public and was amazed by the overflow of interest from such a diverse cross section of folk. This proved as I suspected, Dan's gift is to take disparate musically forces and make something that not only has little resemblance to the inspiration but appeals to just about anybody. Over the years we became friends and his passion for song and word became increasingly evident. I
quickly was in awe of his sponge-like ability to immediately absorb the sounds around him. Then I became jealous of his ability to perform wonderfully whether alone, with a drummer, or with the full backing of a band. His vision- nothing or nobody is gonna stop me. By the time of his 2nd self financed release, "Romance in Stereo", I was convinced. With well warranted respect and admiration I forced Dan to sign a 17 year deal worth in the hundreds to the Swami Empire.

The concept for "Dan Sartain Vs. The Serpientes" was simple. Combine the finest examples of his natural talent using recordings from his earlier work and more fleshed-out recordings of his newest material. Out to San Diego came he where 2 landmark sessions took place. First, it was off to Drag Racist with myself behind the controls making sure it never strayed from the raw sounds that I adore. Here, Dan was backed by Mario Rubalcaba (RFTC, Clikitat Ikatowi, Sea of Tombs, Thingy, etc) on drums and John and Dean Reis on bass. Dan, with his feedbacking, hollow body guitar lead us through uncharted territory. Tracks such as "Trying To Say”, "PCB 98'" and "Metropolis" are but some that benefited from this chemistry. Next it was off across town for round 2. Nestled in the confines of Strange Sounds with producer Gar Wood, Dan met up with Beehive and the Barracudas and collaborated on such songs as "Cobras pt.1" and "Cobras pt. 2". Gar then urged Dan to strip
it down to the bare minimum resulting in "Got That Feeling" captured in the living room complete with Delta Flight 565 flying overhead in the middle of the song. Wow. The rest of the CD is rounded out with tracks taken from his two previous self released albums. This material was captured perfectly in an immediate setting and improving upon them is impossible. Songs such as "I Could Have Had You" and "Walk Among The Cobras pt. 1" have a simplistic and free quality that will move those with a taste for the undistilled.

Meanwhile, back in Alabama Dan is planning ways to get outta B-ham. His first trip to New York was mere weeks ago and really blew his mind. Earlier this year saw him visit Chicago where his was much impressed by the El- train commenting, " Man, it's just like a rolli-coaster!". A fire has been lit inside of him and packed in his '72 Ford station wagon he aims to get out and be heard. And watch out, cuz he is horny! Swami Records is especially proud to present to you "Dan Sartain Vs. The Serpientes". This is the future and the past of the tradition of great voices that have bubbled up from the underground well of rebel thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back