RTS Sunday. (1 Viewer)

Corm

Website
www.myspace.com
Pretty good!

I reckon it was way better than the last one, there was more going on, better sound system, better atmosphere and all the rest.

Nice one to Marie-Anne for getting the Food Not Bombs shit together, especially at such short notice and all -if you want any help in the future I'd be delighted to give you a hand (I cook a mean lentil stew!).

I must have missed something. I got to stephen's green at 3 o clock and no one was there. I was late cos my 3 year old daughter decided it ould be better to be late. Instead we listened to a string quarted in Stephen's green.

What did we miss?

would it really have been so hard to look for us? cudnt exactly miss that many people in the one place.not to mention all the music and shinanigans

niall

pity you didnt find the rts as we were just on baggot street. if you fancy going for coffee on friday lunchtime e mail me.

Originally posted by kevert
would it really have been so hard to look for us? cudnt exactly miss that many people in the one place.not to mention all the music and shinanigans

Would it really have been so hard to organise it a bit better?

The media still refer to RTS an "anti-globalisation protest". The fact that even after the news on friday that - as a result of the violence last time round - 6 cops are to face charges for assault, and yet RTE's 9pm news still chose to interview some youngone in a pink fairy costume who "can't really explain what it's all about" tells me that someone, somewhere could be doing a bit more to get the message out there.

But what would I know - at least my man niallmc actually made the effort to get his ass into town.

I stayed home and reclaimed my garden.

from what i could gather....

the ones organising it were into the idea of public spaces being used for living etc and the crowd were there for a wide variety of reasons.

what i liked was the diy ethic of it, people who organised it got off their arses and done something and the leaflets they gave out were fairly clear in what thye were into as well as explaining the process involved in getting it together so as others might organise their own things.

beyond that it was a nice day, fun and a welcome relief to the humdrum of life. dont think the reveloution is around the corner myself but it was more positive than negative an event.

as for rte the media often use clips which suit their image of things, but it would have been hard to sum up the crowd anyway.
im a bit sceptical about the whole concept of an anti globalisation movement anyway as it seems to cover everything and anything outside of traditional politics.

for example yesterday had members of left wing groups such as trotskyite and platformist anarchists, the green party, punks of many persuasions, smackheads who just wandered in, some load of crustys complete with tin whistles and bagpipes, anti fascist action, ravers, drug users and the anti drugs ogra sinn fein etc etc etc.

maybe i'm out of touch with reveloution seekers but are these really the people to bring down the system, is that where the "thinking" is at or is it still the work of the (very under reperesented at the rts) traditional proletariat?? answers on a postcard please.

presumably the presence of so many traditional lefties shows they must see this anti globalisation thing as a way forward. it strikes me that the same people dismissed punks, vegetarians as lifestylists not too many years ago so i find the sudden interest strange, maybe they are geting tired and are looking for a short cut to the reveloution. they may be looking in the wrong place.

maybe this discusion should be on indymedia but anyway. and pete do yo uown a lawnmower, if so what model:D

Re: from what i could gather....

Originally posted by bohs punks
maybe this discusion should be on indymedia but anyway. and pete do yo uown a lawnmower, if so what model:D

A nice black & decker electric jobbie

gets the job done, but the cleanup afterwards is far too much like real work for my taste.

It was hard enough to manage 2 children and the prospects of a face painter. As for looking for you. What do you think? was it too hard for me to look for you???????
What direction was i to look????? I did look in the Green and that was obviously the wrong direction. Am I a failure.......
What leaflets were being handed out?
Conor, see you Friday? Might even have a book in my grubby mits....
I'm a flymo man myself

Originally posted by niallmc
It was hard enough to manage 2 children and the prospects of a face painter. As for looking for you. What do you think? was it too hard for me to look for you???????
What direction was i to look????? I did look in the Green and that was obviously the wrong direction. Am I a failure.......
What leaflets were being handed out?
Conor, see you Friday? Might even have a book in my grubby mits....
I'm a flymo man myself

flymo?

is it not a lot less bovver with a hover, or is that an urban myth?

Heheh, "Dadcore"...you ol' gits should form a band and write songs about being old and disenfranchised...you could have songs like "Holiday In Majorca", "Gerroff Me Lawn", "The Wife's Annoyin' Me Head Again" or "What's For Dinner, Luv?".

missed opportunity or wated youth?

i dont know, there was a classic chance for the youth to start a serious discusion thats at the heart of serious political debate inthis country:

are lawnmowers vegan? are hedgetrimmers politically correct? what about those old fashioned mowers that you had to push - is it ok to get your child to cut your grass using one of them or is it exploitation? :D

a great opportunity to open debate and make this board meaningful, but did they take it? nope, the eirecore posse fall back on "lets all put the old people in a corner and poke at them with sticks!!!;)"

briggs and stratton petrol engine is what i have, pretty efficent for long grass. even has a grass box which is rarely used, what do you think old timers -- rakes or grass boxes?
(note to young peopel, we are not on about stash boxes for dutch skunk weed).

niall there was a "what rts is about leaflet" and also a few ones done by individuals of the "we are very angry- smash in your neighbours sanitary towel bin and bring down the system" variety. if i still have them i'll bring them up at the weekend.

all that anger would be much better used on arranging a nice rockery or soem pine decking don't you think?

Re: missed opportunity or wated youth?

Originally posted by bohs punks
briggs and stratton petrol engine is what i have, pretty efficent for long grass. even has a grass box which is rarely used, what do you think old timers -- rakes or grass boxes?

My lectric one has a grass box, but what tends to happen is that if the grass is in any way damp it all accumulates near the rotor, which then jams.

So to cut a long story short, the grass box doesn't work as well as it should, and i end up with bits of cut grass all over the place and have to rake it all up.

For raking, I use a rake with (blue) plastic prongs rather than an older style metal one. I find the flexibility makes the job easier.

So there you have it.

Dont dis the old fashionsed mowers there guys, when you've got just a little garden they're just the thing. When you let the grass grow for too long though, as we did recently it's very tough going. So now we have a half n half lawn, it's odd look and symmetry are quite appealing. Short to the point of exhaustion and then long beyond that, it's almost art. It is art. Could this be the new post-modern garden??? Post-post modern even...
(driven mad by the trauma of being that child made to cut the grass?? maybe..)

Originally posted by mazzyianne
Dont dis the old fashionsed mowers there guys, when you've got just a little garden they're just the thing. When you let the grass grow for too long though, as we did recently it's very tough going. So now we have a half n half lawn, it's odd look and symmetry are quite appealing. Short to the point of exhaustion and then long beyond that, it's almost art. It is art. Could this be the new post-modern garden??? Post-post modern even...
(driven mad by the trauma of being that child made to cut the grass?? maybe..)

You mean them old rotary one's? The sound they make is deadly.

Couldn't be arsed using one though - far too much like real work for my liking.

I was also made cut the grass - we had a "Kaaz motor corporation" mower which would keep moving for a few yards after releasing the drive so you generally had to release the drive a short while before you needed to stop. Seen as I'm rarely around to mow the lawn anymore my Da bought to sheep (and they both had lambs a few weeks later) in May so he wouldn`t have to mow it himself!

i want one of them ones u sit on and drive around, vrooooommmmm, neeeeeeerrrrrmmmm, snipety snippety, eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrccccchhhhhhhh, skid, brrrm brrm!!!!
ok so i dont think they really go that fast do they.
ok fine a digger. i want a digger. thats what i really wanted all along but it would do more than cut the grass.
ok i'll use the digger for the rockery of boulders, and get some moo moos for the lawn. thatd do.
i like moo's, and diggerz.

Garden Punx

Being the law abiding citizen I am, I'm glad to have missed the latest Reclaim The Streets. Its for freaks if you believe some of the posters on indymedia.
My lawnmower I use for work is a beautiful shiny green one, with a little yoke on the top so you can actually make it zoom forward, with you holding on and walking behind it. A beauty, I'm sure you'll agree. It acts up like a moany bitch whenever the grass is wet, though, and half my time is spent rooting through the blades sticking the munched up grass back in its box. For really long grass, I like to use a strimmer, with the plastic strimming bit extra long. This gets the job done quite nicely. Like pete, I also find that the plastic prongs on the rake works more to my satisfaction than its metal counterpart. Hedges are a different story, however. Im convinced I'd take my arm off with a power trimmer, so I'm a big fan of manual shears; apart from the fact that I cut the cable off my good earphones with them last year. A good, sturdy wheelbarrow is the order of the day for punk gardening. Remember to keep it in a dry place, though. You don't want to find it all rusty with the wheels jammed. Its very handy for transporting tools around from garden to garden. A decent trowel is an absolute necessity for weeding, and don't forget that unless you take the weed out at the root, it'll grow back. With strong gardening gloves, long sleeves and loads of tunes, maybe you too can become a master gardener like me and work for dirty oul ones who like young men sweating over their bush. I charge 50 euro a garden, maybe more, maybe less, depending on the size of the job, the reg on the car and the size of the wedding ring on the oul one's hand. So if you want me to call round to your mammy's, give me a call.

ah i would, but my mother is the queen of her garden. i do, however, mow the lawn with a nice little automatic red thing with a grass box that does a great job on our annoyingly difficult oval lawn - only you have to be careful that the grass doesn't fall out through the bottom when its full. though to tell the truth, its not as great and satisfying as the huge lawnmower i used to have - you had to push it every inch of the way using sheer feminine brute force(none of this automated stuff). not even 'the boys from next door' were strong enough to get it started! .|..| :D .|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back