Router problems (1 Viewer)

shower another shower

Wireless router keeps dropping it's signal to all devices on the network, 1 puter and 3 iphones, intermittently. Also get the odd notification dialog on the iMac that says "another computer is using the same ip address, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". Upgraded the router firmware and it improved for a while, but today it's acting the maggot. Day time is ususally grand, but pretty much every night around 11:30 or 12:00, it drops signal again. Is this my isp assigning a new ip?
iMac + 3 iPhones
Edimax 3g Router
Satellite Broadband.

I'm not using the 3g bit of the router, as the connection is coming via ethernet from the satellite modem, but when the router does drop its signal, the 3g light on the router goes mental.

Is there some setting thats fucked up or is this router on it's way out? Had no problems with the router when I was using a 3g dongle, and had a good 6 months of no problems from the satellite modem when it was first installed.

Any help would be much obliged.

Sounds like you've got some IP conflicts happening. Double-check your computer and iPhones and make sure they're all set to DHCP. If they're all clean, it's most likely a conflict happening between the satellite modem + router that'll inevitably lock up the router and make it go bat shit. There's two ways you can fix it, separate out the DHCP ranges for each device (modem/router) or put them on different subnets.

Separate out DHCP ranges: Say your modem IP is 192.168.1.1. Configure it to dish out IP addresses in a range of 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.99. Let the router get the IP automatically from the modem (which will be between .2 - .99). Change the router IP address to 192.168.1.100. Configure the router to hand out IP addresses from 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.255.

Different subnets. Configure the modem to use 192.168.1.1. Configure the router to use 192.168.2.1

Depending on what sort of admin access you have to the satellite modem or even if it allows you to configure DHCP ranges, the different subnet approach will be easier as you only need to configure the router with a different subnet.

just in case you need to specify a subnet mask for option b up there - it'll be 255.255.255.0 (or /24) in both cases. Router will probably assume it's on a class C though and look after it automatically.

ye, the ip addresses of my modem and router are completely different. My computer's ip is 99 away from the router, configured using "DHCP Automatic". There's an option for using "DHCP MAnual" that lets me change the ipv4 address and subnet mask. IPv6 is set to "Automatic".

That said, why do I have no problems with my modem at all during daytime weekdays, and evenings and weekends, everything is completely fucked up?

My modem doesn't have any options for tweeking, but the ip is dynamic.

And on the router front, can't find fields to specify what range of ip's to spit out.

Forgive my ignorance.

ye, the ip addresses of my modem and router are completely different. My computer's ip is 99 away from the router, configured using "DHCP Automatic". There's an option for using "DHCP MAnual" that lets me change the ipv4 address and subnet mask. IPv6 is set to "Automatic".

That said, why do I have no problems with my modem at all during daytime weekdays, and evenings and weekends, everything is completely fucked up?

My modem doesn't have any options for tweeking, but the ip is dynamic.

And on the router front, can't find fields to specify what range of ip's to spit out.

Forgive my ignorance.

is the modem telling you its ip address is 37.x.x.x by any chance? and the router is on 192.168.x.x?

ok i thought they might be set up the way the old Irish Broadband stuff was - they used to just supply the wireless gear and presented a public IP, which left it up to your router to handle firewalling & local DHCP allocation

but you have two separate private subnets. i'd make a note of the IPs assigned to each device then wait for the problem to happen again and see what's changed.

Or I'd probably just disable DHCP on them completely & assign IPs manually.

but you have two separate private subnets. i'd make a note of the IPs assigned to each device then wait for the problem to happen again and see what's changed.

Or I'd probably just disable DHCP on them completely & assign IPs manually.
Can find the modems subnet anywhere, but my computer and and router seem to have the same subnet mask :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back