Roger Doyle Launches 'Cool Steel Army' (1 Viewer)

psycho

Website
www.psychonavigation.com
When: Tuesday 7th April

Where: The Project Arts Centre, Temple Bar, Dublin

Time: 5.30 -7.30pm.

Wine and Live Music.

Your name must be on the guest list -book now.

Email [email protected]

[FONT=&quot]
Roger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Doyle[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is the Godfather of Irish electronic music. In 2007 he was awarded the Magisterium Prize at the Bourges International Electro-acoustic music competition in France - one of the most important prizes in the world for this type of music. 'Babel', his magnum opus ,which took ten years to compose, was released on a 5-CD set in 1999, where each track corresponds to a 'room' or place within an imagined giant tower city.

Roger has teamed up with Ireland's Psychonavigation Records to release 'Cool Steel Army'. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The standout piece on this CD is ‘Adolf Gebler, Clarinettist’, a cinema for the ear, scored for orchestra, piano, female singer and pre-recorded acted scenes. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] The script, specially written by Carlo Gebler and adapted from his memoir 'Father and I', is based on the story of his grandfather Adolf Gebler, first clarinettist with the Radio Eireann Studio Players (a precursor of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra) which he joined in 1936. Adolf came to live in Ireland having fallen in love with an usherette he met after a concert he gave in Dublin in 1910. [/FONT]

Update

160+ people attending at last count so as the space only holds just over 200 mail us quckly to reserve your place.

- The actor Alan Stanford will be making a speech on the evening.

- CD's on sale for just €12. Roger will also be available to sign the disc.

- Complimentary Krombacher & Perrier water courtesy of Noreast Beers.

- Complimentary Wine will also be available.

Cheers,

Keith

More blurb

Press Release

Award winning composer ROGER DOYLE is the godfather of Irish electronic music.

His new CD features three works. The title composition Cool Steel Army is an anagram of his wife’s name, Mary Costelloe. Paavo’s engagement was written to celebrate his son’s engagement, and Adolf Gebler, Clarinettist was the grandfather of writer and film maker Carlo Gebler.

Adolf Gebler, clarinettist is a soundtrack for an imaginary film. The script was written by Carlo Gebler and Doyle scored it for live orchestra, piano, female singer and actors. It is the first in a planned series of ‘Cinema for the Ear' projects.

Adolf was a penniless musician from eastern Europe. He performed at the Gaiety Theatre in 1910 and fell in love with an usherette. In the 1930s he joined the Radio Eireann Studio Players as first clarinettist. As a foreigner, Adolf was interned in the Curragh Camp during the First World War and in a bizarre turn of events ended up being suspected of murdering his wife after the Second World War.

Adolf Gebler, clarinettist was commissioned by RTE and performed at the National Concert Hall, Dublin , with the RTE National Symphony Orchestra last year.
The lighting was dimmed, only the music stands were lit- and the audience experienced an imaginary film with pre-recorded dialogue and sound effects. ‘It is like being at a film, you hear it but only see it in your minds eye’ Doyle adds.

This CD is a revised and expanded studio version re-created with the Vienna Symphonic Library software programme, singer Fionnuala Gill and actors Jonathan Ryan, Mary McEvoy, Isobel Mahon and Rory Connolly.

CD RELEASE DATE 7th APRIL 2009

Roger Doyle and Carlo Gebler are available for interview
Contact
Helen Quinn 0876774497

Roger has teamed up with Irelands Psychonavigation Records to release Cool Steel Army. Email: [email protected]
Distribution: Arabesque UK / EMD Ireland / Darla USA

CHECK OUT ROGER DOYLE’S WEBSITE : www.rogerdoyle.com

ROGER DOYLE
Born in 1949 he studied composition on scholarships in Dublin , Utrecht and Finland .
He has worked extensively in theatre, film and dance, and co-founded the music-theatre company Operating Theatre with actress Olwen Fouéré.

Babel, his magnum opus ,which took ten years to compose, was released on a 5-CD set in 1999, where each track corresponds to a room or place within an imagined giant tower city. Other works include a piano score for the Gate Theatre production of Salomé, directed by Steven Berkoff, which played in Dublin , London 's West End and on three world tours.

Awards include the Magisterium Prize at the Bourges International Electro-acoustic music competition in France - one of the most important prizes in the world for this type of music, and the Marten Toonder Award (2000) in recognition of his innovative work as a composer.

CARLO GEBLER is the son of writers Edna O’Brien and Ernest Gebler, and Carlo’s best selling memoir Father and I documents life with his difficult father, Ernest, the son of Czech born clarinettist Adolf Gebler who is the principle character in Adolf Gébler, Clarinettist.

As well as Father and I Carlo Gebler is the author of several novels including The Eleventh Summer, The Cure and How to Murder a Man, the short story collection W.9. & Other Lives, along with several works of non-fiction including the memoir Father & I, the narrative history, The Siege of Derry, and two travel books, Driving Through Cuba and The Glass Curtain. He has also written several novels for children and reviews fiction and non-fiction widely in the Irish and British press. His adaptation of La Ronde by Arthur Schnitzler, Ten Rounds was short-listed for the Ewart-Biggs prize in 2002. His play, Henry & Harriet received its premiere at the Cathedral Arts Festival in May 2007. His most recent novel A Good Day for a Dog and My Fathers Watch (Patrick Maguires memoir of which Carlo Gébler is the co-author) were both published last year.
In addition to writing, he also occasionally directs documentaries for television. His film Put to the Test won the Royal Television Society award in 1999 in the best regional documentary category. In 2006 he was Writer Fellow at Trinity College Dublin and he is currently writer-in-residence in HMP Maghaberry, Co. Antrim and the Royal Literary Fund fellow at Queens University , Belfast . Carlo Gebler lives outside Enniskillen with his wife Tyga. They have five children.

Just in the door.No problem Wobbler.Enjoy!

Nice one to everyone who made the trip down.Good to see so many out on a Tuesday evening:)

Were working on another gig already.More details soon.

The CD is available to buy in Road,City Discs & Spindizzy. HMV's and the rest by the end of the month.

Cheers,

Keith

This coming Friday afternoon Roger will be interviewed on Radio 1's 'Drive Time' programme so whether your driving or relaxing at home tune in at 4.30pm!

Just in the door.No problem Wobbler.Enjoy!

Nice one to everyone who made the trip down.Good to see so many out on a Tuesday evening:)

Were working on another gig already.More details soon.

The CD is available to buy in Road,City Discs & Spindizzy. HMV's and the rest by the end of the month.

Cheers,

Keith

Great evening Keith, thanks a million.
I thought the two vocal pieces were spectacular, the soprano was amazing. And the free invite/beer thing was a brilliant idea, more people should do this I suddenly reckon now that I'm on the dole...:)
Best of luck with the album, I hope it does really well.
Roger Doyle should be much more well known...anybody into musique concrete, or Nurse With Wound or even Philip Glass would find plenty to enjoy in Roger's catalogue.

Thanks for this,the invite thing was a brilliant idea.

I was amazed how much of Adolf Gebler,Clarinettist had stuck with me since that NCH gig.Picked up the cd anyway so looking forward to listening to it in its entirety.

Glad you enjoyed the performance Burgerbarbaby & Jimmybreeze.Totally agree with both of your comments.

The finale track was stuck in my head for the rest of the evening.Stunning voice Fionnuala has eh?

Don't forget Roger will be speaking on 'Drive Time' this afternoon from 4.30pm

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back