Road Trip (1 Viewer)

Squack

I am planning Road Trip with Billy and his bird in the lovely emerald isle at t'end of July
Any recommendations?
maybe ring of kerry?

Conor and I are doing this too !!
We're going to start in Mayo and then go southwards along the coast then back over to Dublin. Havent really thought about whwre exactly to go yet but maybe West Cork, Leap is lovely. Kerry might be full of Americans...

Squack said:
I am planning Road Trip with Billy and his bird in the lovely emerald isle at t'end of July
Any recommendations?
maybe ring of kerry?

surfing on the west coast of ireland is the new road trip

rowdy row tinka said:
Yeah , go to Ballinsloe horse fair and take a detour to Athlone, wow what a beatiful part of the country! stunning!

Damn right.
Take the back road from Athlone to B'sloe, you get to see Roadstone, and my house.

i'd deffo go to west cork, its triffic. kilcrohane on sheepshead peninsula is a fun tiny little village if you like that sorta thing - end of the country, lovely scenery, 2 nice pubs, friendly locals etc. theres a nice little hostel with 8 beds but they dont bother advertising. i hope to go for a night in july on while down to see roy harper in clonakilty. beara peninsula has fantastic scenery too, for walking and hiking etc and at barleycove on the mizen theres a deadly beach... rest of the country can fuck off.

the ring of kerry will be jammed with buses

While not a particularily beautiful place if you're in north west mayo drive inland to bellacorrick or so. Flat bog as far as you can see rimmed with mountains, it's surprising to see somewhere so desolate and wild in ireland.

DSC02047.jpg

ier-b00.jpg

lake.jpg

Miss Piggy said:
i'd deffo go to west cork, its triffic. kilcrohane on sheepshead peninsula is a fun tiny little village if you like that sorta thing - end of the country, lovely scenery, 2 nice pubs, friendly locals etc. theres a nice little hostel with 8 beds but they dont bother advertising. i hope to go for a night in july on while down to see roy harper in clonakilty. beara peninsula has fantastic scenery too, for walking and hiking etc and at barleycove on the mizen theres a deadly beach...
excellent advice! sheep's head is really nice. so quiet... the road ends about
a mile from the end of the peninsula and there's a cool little walk to the end.
on the northside of the peninsula there is an old abandoned village and copper mines,
that I haven't managed to find yet! one of the pubs in kilcrohane throws a famed
saturday evening (I think..) barbecue that's really cheap and lovely too.

the mizen peninsula is great as well, there's schull, and baltimore - you
could do worse than go out and visit sherkin island, or cape clear which
is a deadly place. then there's mizen head itself of course. crookhaven,
the nearest village, is really remote and there's one really cool pub there
that serves AMAZING food. lots of quiet beaches dotted around the place
too. pulled a sickie from work a few weeks ago and went for drive out there
a few weeks ago and found a really cool little mountain called mount gabriel
just outside schull... there's a load of aviation stuff on top so you can drive to
the top; from the top there's an amazing view all of west cork on your left,
including all the islands, fastnet rock etc., the end of mizen head peninsula
directly in front and on the right hand side, sheep's head and behind that, the
beara peninsula. it's like looking at a bloody map! amazing... hard enough to
find the road. rough directions: turn right at the AIB in schull, follow your nose
and you should be fine.

as miss piggy said, the beara peninsula is bloody amazing too. landscape gets
really crazy and mountainous. highlights: the drive along the south coast, the
craziest coast road ever around allihies around the north of the peninsula toward
ardgroom. continue north and you cross the border into kerry, there's a cool
mountain road called the healy pass on your right shortly after that'll bring you
back over to the southside of the peninsula... also, at the tip of the peninsula
there's a cablecar over to dursey island, but I haven't done that yet so...

zone_4.gif

plug said:
all plugs comments....

if only it wasnt so far away from dublin.... then again thats probably a good thing too! the healy pass is amazing. theres a spot if you go up from the kerry side just before you cross over into cork where theres an amazing view down into the valley - its my favorite spot in the whole country. the valley is cool for walking around in too - you cant really get out the back of the valleys (theres kinda two valleys side by side) without climbing some large mountains. theres a lake down there called glanmore lake and theres a restaurant called josies which is in this womans house - well worth stopping in for lunch if your there. this area is photographed in detail on google earth as is the very end of the sheepshead.

plug, youre not thinking of the copper mines in alihies are you? you can follow the little road theyre on right up over the top of those mountains and down the other side too - a nice walk, not sure if it'd be suitable for a car.

west cork is clearly the best option put forward so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back