ROAD RECORDS (1 Viewer)

the sad thing is that really, even an appeal like this isnt going to help.

recession or not, people dont buy music anymore.

i wish them all the best in the coming months, but a few heads dropping in to buy a record or two isnt gonna save anybody.

if we're talking about honouring dave and julie, then we'd be much better organizing a(if worse comes to worse) tribute to road records night.

*cough*
rednecks, dudleys, c40, kittster, large mound, GTJ, jimmy behan all of the relish bands etc etc etc..
a gig with even a few of these bands would be the perfect send off to road and D&J.

i wish them all the best in the coming months, but a few heads dropping in to buy a record or two isnt gonna save anybody.

if we're talking about honouring dave and julie, then we'd be much better organizing a(if worse comes to worse) tribute to road records night.

*cough*
rednecks, dudleys, c40, kittster, large mound, GTJ, jimmy behan all of the relish bands etc etc etc..
a gig with even a few of these bands would be the perfect send off to road and D&J.
great idea.

so lets book a gig and no one will show up cos of the economic climate..
then we can have a tribute to the tribute night?
that is presuming that theyll close down. i really hope not..... better go spend the rest of my voucher so and whatever few quid i can scrape together. jesus, what a fantastic shop. will be gutted if it closes

*cough*

To a certain extent niche, "underground" products do sell, and will continue to. Loads of people download but some people are into the physical artefact. Look at the growth in vinyl sales in recent years amongst indie artists. Not sure if Dublin is a big enough market for an independent store to thrive in these conditions though.

To a certain extent niche, "underground" products do sell, and will continue to. Loads of people download but some people are into the physical artefact. Look at the growth in vinyl sales in recent years amongst indie artists. Not sure if Dublin is a big enough market for an independent store to thrive in these conditions though.
well, look, its not my business to get into it, but we at freebird tend to survive on the fact that we will always have say guys coming in consistently to buy country music or that type of thing. the type of people who dont even own computers, nevermind downloading.
also, we sell more 2nd hand than new products..but thatll have a knock on affect as eventually, with people not buying that means they wont be selling and we wont have any stock.

really, its more about the state of the music industry and people downloading etc etc than the recession.

I've often wondered why it is with online music sales its either download, or physical media. I mean, why can't the same purchase be both?

I rarely buy off iTunes. I'd buy there all the time if I thought they were gonna let me download the album right away (which is typically when I want it), and send me a physical copy after. I mean, whats the difference/problem?

Road should try to do this. I'd buy everything there. They'd have to upgrade the computers for sure, but that wouldn't cost that much. I'd say theres a killing to be made.

I've often wondered why it is with online music sales its either download, or physical media. I mean, why can't the same purchase be both?

I rarely buy off iTunes. I'd buy there all the time if I thought they were gonna let me download the album right away (which is typically when I want it), and send me a physical copy after. I mean, whats the difference/problem?

Road should try to do this. I'd buy everything there. They'd have to upgrade the computers for sure, but that wouldn't cost that much. I'd say theres a killing to be made.
i notice alot of vinyl does that. great idea, id rather buy on vinyl and get a free high quality mp3 version to download for free either before delivery online or with the record in the shop.

well, look, its not my business to get into it, but we at freebird tend to survive on the fact that we will always have say guys coming in consistently to buy country music or that type of thing. the type of people who dont even own computers, nevermind downloading.
also, we sell more 2nd hand than new products..but thatll have a knock on affect as eventually, with people not buying that means they wont be selling and we wont have any stock.

really, its more about the state of the music industry and people downloading etc etc than the recession.

Ah yeah my friend who ran a record store in Swords was saying his bread and butter had been stuff like the Bridget Jones Diary soundtrack, housewife stuff. This was when downloading was starting to bite but main reason for closure was too much competition in his case I think.
So do no teenagers buy CDs anymore?

that is presuming that theyll close down. i really hope not..... better go spend the rest of my voucher so and whatever few quid i can scrape together. jesus, what a fantastic shop. will be gutted if it closes

Better still don't spend your voucher as they have the money for that already :p

well, im not sure i see the logic in that. and we're not even so much talking about itunes and legit sites, its people getting it for free thats fucking everything up.

and what about all the albums that get released on vinyl that come with a download coupon? its getting people in the shops in the first place.

i fuckin hate talking about all this shit cos it just goes round in circles.

A lot of indie labels particularly in the states (jagjaguar springs to mind especially here) do this if you order direct from them though it might just be for preordering of new stuff, you pre-order the record and you get a download code that activates on the day of release if the album hasn't arrived yet. Similar to the download vouchers you get with many vinyls these days.

well, im not sure i see the logic in that. and we're not even so much talking about itunes and legit sites, its people getting it for free thats fucking everything up.

and what about all the albums that get released on vinyl that come with a download coupon? its getting people in the shops in the first place.

i fuckin hate talking about all this shit cos it just goes round in circles.

I'm just saying that its something that would make me choose Road over buying anywhere else. If its much of a muchness in terms of when I get it, I'll order where cheapest. If I could get a download now with a physical copy to follow, I'd even be willing to spend a couple of quid more.

I take the point though. I was just speaking about myself personally. Maybe it wouldn't be worth the investment.

i must just add that my favourite thing to do if i have a few quid to spare is to stop into a record store and just have a browse, see something i fancy, often taking a risk and buy it there and then.

its this very calculated method of buying that i dont understand. ive never had the feeling of 'i must have this NOW' so i must download it.

but you got it dead right scutter, its down to personal preference.

me, i like the sound quality of vinyl or cd, the artwork, who recorded it, who play what, the smell of a gatefold cd and the fact that i have a large shelf with my music collection on it that i can browse.

good night childen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back