Risotto (1 Viewer)

Wobbler

Website
www.discogs.com
I've got about a litre of chicken stocck to use up tonight. I'm getting a bit sick of soups so I was thinking of doing a risotto. Does anybody have some seasonal suggestions of stuff I could throw in?

Also, if anyone can think of another way to use up my stock, let me know (It's homemade and I don't want to waste it).

Cheers big ears.

Is pumpkin still in season?

Have you considered putting the stock in an ice cube bag an keeping it in the freezer?
Not sure about pumpkin. Might have a look.

I froze the stock after I made it. I defrosted a litre of it last Sunday with the intention of using it this week. I'm going to Galway tomorrow so if I don't use it tonight, I can forget about it. I don't think it's good to refreeze.

spinach risotto is yum

spinach risotto

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4
Ingredients
200g Spinach
150ml water
1 glass dry white wine
400ml vegetable stock
150g butter
1 onion
325g Aborio rice
125g ricotta cheese
25g Parmesan
Sea salt and black pepper
50g pine nuts
View Printer Friendly
HTML Version

PDF Version
(requires Adobe Reader)

Instructions
1. Boil the spinach for 2 minutes. Drain keeping the liquid, refresh in cold water and chop spinach finely. Mix the cooking water with the stock and white wine and keep warm.

2. Melt half the butter in a large, heavy pan, fry onions for five minutes until soft and transparent. Add rice and pine nuts and stir very well. Add some liquid, stirring until the rice has absorbed the liquid, add more stock, continue adding stock until it has reached the consistency desired, the rice should be al dente (which means to bite), about twenty minutes.

3. Stir in the spinach, butter, seasoning, ricotta, Parmesan and serve.

Jerusalem artichoke soup would definitely be the way I would go... provided I could get my hands on the artichokes that is. YUM!

good thing to slosh into spinach risotto: a couple of teaspoons of pernod at the end. not sure why it works, but it does.

this sounds kind of amazing and like spooky kitchen alchemy. i really want to ask if pernod is part of your average well-stocked pantry, but i have an irrational prejudice against it thanks to an incident when i was 15...

wobbler,
butternut squash risotto all the way to the bank. trust me!

yes! even more amazing with either feta or goats' cheese added at the end. every other risotto is a bit anticlimactic after butternut squash. ain't seasonal, mind.

this sounds kind of amazing and like spooky kitchen alchemy. i really want to ask if pernod is part of your average well-stocked pantry, but i have an irrational prejudice against it thanks to an incident when i was 15...

heh, the pernod we have in the kitchen (used exclusively in risotto) was brought to a cocktail party in our flat years ago and is in an elderly club lemon bottle. veeery classy.

that said, it works so well in risotto i might be tempted to actually buy a bottle once we run out (circa 2009, i suspect).

I made a simple enough risotto and then threw in a bit of steamed spinach at the end. It tasted absolutly gorgeous. Cooking it was so rewarding. I think the fact that I used proper stock made a big fifference.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back