RIP Leonard Cohen (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
needs its own thread.

2016 has been a hell of a year with so many greats checking out. Like Bowie, Cohen goes shortly after releasing his final body of work, but unlike Bowie and Prince, this isn't as much out of the blue.

when he returned to play those first series of gigs in the IMMA 5 or so years back, what we saw on stage was a frail old man. He still oozed class and charasima and was effortlessly able to make every man, woman and child in the audience fall in love with him.

From the day of the first of those gigs I went to I figured every day after that, that we still had him with us, was a bonus.

who knew that we'd have to much to be thankful to a corrupt, dishonest accountant, for. If she hadn't robbed him blind, many of us would never have had the opportunity to see him. Still, fuck her.

82 years old. Not too bad an innings.

I honestly feel like I've lost a friend this morning. Finding Leonard Cohen as a teenager was one of those experiences that changes you, I had heard and liked songs like "I'm Your Man", "First We Take Manhattan" and, of course, "Hallelujah", but it was hearing "The Future" and "Waiting for the Miracle" on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack (during an obsessive Nine Inch Nails phase) and realising just how deep his words actually ran. I have listened to him weekly, sometimes daily, ever since. I will miss him.

I was 14 when I first heard him. I was getting a lift to Mayo with a cousin of mine who was doing his Ph.d in Trinity College at the time. It was 1988, and it was a long drive to Mayo in those days. He had, just that day, bought a copy of 'I'm Your Man' on tape and had it on repeat for the 5 or so hour drive. I taped it off him and listened to it over and over for weeks and months after.

It was 1993 before I heard anything else by him. I was repeating my leaving cert in Rathmines and I wandered into whatever record shop was in the Swan Center there (Golden Discs, maybe). I saw a copy of The Future on CD, so I bought it. The week before someone (probably Dave Fanning), had played Closing Time on the radio and I loved it.

That album got me through a fairly stressful few months, and from that point on I became fascinated and obsessed with Cohen's work.

I thought that Hal Wilner show in the Point several years back was the closest I'd ever get to seeing Cohen perform live. That we got so many opportunities to actually see him, was a real treat. I got to 4 of those shows.

To think it wasn't until he was 30 that he released his first album, yet still leaves us with such a vast amount of work, is both unusual and amazing.

Its kind of apt though. I'm sure he thought the only way for him to get everyone to stop talking and worry about all the other shite going on in the world was to offer them a distraction. So he decided to check out.

RIP.

Thats it I gotta properly check out LC now.

I've been meaning to for a couple of years,ever since somebody I know's mother was raving about him to me after seeing him in Sligo.

RIP

Missed all the tributes and chat today due to being at work.

I loved the guy. A person with beautiful humanity, literary and musical abilities. The outpouring today on radio and Social Media is a lovely and timely reminder that the world really is worth saving - particularly after all the spite and bile in recent weeks.

Mindfulness personified. RIP Leonard.

My mother was a big fan of Hallelujah. It was on a mixtape my brother made for her while she was in the hospice so it is has a certain poignancy for us now. 'We're Just back from her 'month'smind' mass. Just before he gave out communion the priest nipped off stage and I could see him using a remote to turn on a cd. The moment of realisation as the song started was really something. I had something in my eye.

He gives good mass, that priest.

Now I never need to hear that song again.

i'd say there are parishioners thinking it was a bit off-colour for the priest to be paying tribute to leonard cohen at your mum's months mind
wasn't this lad was it?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm all played out on Lenny now, first three LPs have gone into long term rotation,but I'm taking a break.

He's very droney

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back