right check the drum sound ive got.. (1 Viewer)

hey alan, you ever get anything mastered by john golden, or have any opinions on him?

corpo album is booked in with him soon, on the strength of stuff he's done we like, but i wonder is there anything he's known for we should ask him not to do.
mastering scares me

hey alan, you ever get anything mastered by john golden, or have any opinions on him?

corpo album is booked in with him soon, on the strength of stuff he's done we like, but i wonder is there anything he's known for we should ask him not to do.
mastering scares me

I know a lot of stuff he's done - proper golden ears. Done a load of albums we all love.
I reckon he'd love it if you said - "just do a good job on it" as opposed to "MAKE IT LOUD".

mix wise its pretty rough. threw some compression on the kick and snare.
and i didnt spend too much time engineering the sound either.
i would have liked to have spent longer on the snare.

These sound deadly, nice and lively

the snare did go missing a bit when the guitars and bass came but... if you want to pull something back into it try copying the snare track (uh top skin I guess... never used two mics on a snare...) and gate it pretty severly, so yr litterally just getting the *tap* sound of the impact... run that thru an amp simultor, or some High EQ distortion gear and mix it back in, can just give the moment of impact a bit more *whack* then the original recording... the oringal un touched track will give it 'body' and 'room' and stuff... like... that...

I'm getting hooked on stereo delays on snares, so it sounds less like the snare is coming from the dead centre, but more like it's coming from "everywhere" at once... uh...

I know, I know, it all sounds a bit...

Phil%20Collins.jpg

Nice work and a great idea!
Here's a snippit of Davids drums recorded to Logic 5.5 in Matty's shed using an AKG drum mic set and a little DBX compression over the top.
Nothing special in the way of mics or methods.

http://www.decal-artifacts.com/stuff/drums_TAKE7_mixdown.mp3

the snare sounds deadly here, I really like that full on cracking snare sound thing, aces. The DBX is doing lovely stuff to them toms...

I must mix down some drum stuff for this post, though it's hard enough to find time to mix anything... I use two mics and generally bust the shit out of them in Cakewalk to try and get anything out of it... uh... but it'll be another point of view I guess...

These sound deadly, nice and lively

the snare did go missing a bit when the guitars and bass came but... if you want to pull something back into it try copying the snare track (uh top skin I guess... never used two mics on a snare...) and gate it pretty severly, so yr litterally just getting the *tap* sound of the impact... run that thru an amp simultor, or some High EQ distortion gear and mix it back in, can just give the moment of impact a bit more *whack* then the original recording... the oringal un touched track will give it 'body' and 'room' and stuff... like... that...

I'm getting hooked on stereo delays on snares, so it sounds less like the snare is coming from the dead centre, but more like it's coming from "everywhere" at once... uh...

I know, I know, it all sounds a bit...

Phil%20Collins.jpg
cool ill give that a shot.
to be honest though i just think those cheapo samson mics arent up to much.
i couldnt get a close clear sound at all.

hopefully buying 2 sm57s this week!

oh and hey lads on the subject of loops and based on alan's and dudley's nice drum sounds...
have any of ye heard of "vinylistics"???
its a cd of drum looops. mainly hip hop type stuff. but you could use it on anything as theyre all real kits. but what they have is like a loop and then they give you the individual drum sounds so you can sequence your own patterns..
its really deadly. some of the snares are called "meter's snare 1, 2 ,3 etc". so you know what i mean.
its really expensive to buy new but if people are interested i could sort you out with a copy. loads of the kits sound like the one dudley posted.

Yo - Drums :

Get Yer Drums Here, Yo.

Big Condenser Front of Kick
Neumann KM-84 or maybe Beyer M201 Back of Kick (beater side)
Royer 121 Overheads
Oktava 012 on the rack tom (can't remember if there's any toms in this clip)
D112 Under the Floor Tom.
Snare was a 58 I think, could also have been an M201 or 57 though.

Kinda going for a muted 70's style with this one, obviously with the snare in particular.

thanks. nah its just i love the sound but i think itd work well with certain styles and not so much with others.
just like to hear..

sounds ok man, did you ever try a half full water bottle from a water dispenser like the one you have in a office and put a mic in the bottle?
you can change the pitch of the bass drum.
just tryin to help
gorge

Yo - Drums :

Get Yer Drums Here, Yo.

Big Condenser Front of Kick
Neumann KM-84 or maybe Beyer M201 Back of Kick (beater side)
Royer 121 Overheads
Oktava 012 on the rack tom (can't remember if there's any toms in this clip)
D112 Under the Floor Tom.
Snare was a 58 I think, could also have been an M201 or 57 though.

Kinda going for a muted 70's style with this one, obviously with the snare in particular.

I prefer to pour water all over drums and cymbals so it splashes up when they're hit, Prince-style.

Is that why they sound all watery and have no bottom ? only messin it is a serious question about the water bottle thing you can change the pitch of the bass drum by adding or takin away water in the bottle. try it dude

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back