review Chohchai 3K Battery - Cyclone Bones (1 Viewer)

nod

Well, for a band that professes to "begin in the mess that ‘classic rock’ leaves behind" they shouldn’t be too upset with the comparison. It’s just when opener ‘Choo-Choo Fighting Postman’ storms in on an exhilarating rush, sounding more like a finale with it’s convulsions of molten noise, it reminds me of Swervedriver’s ‘Sci-Flyer’. The band mightn't be inclined towards such a comparison but it is such basic elements that Chokchai 3K Battery absorb and remodify. The problems begin when they become divorced from the studio. ‘Winter, Sugar, Bones’ a twenty minute long live recording of their performance at the Winter, all day noise festival, lacks the fullness and intensity of the other tracks. It features the miasma of the ghostly wails of dying guitars but it lacks the intent of ‘t.n.t. Kid Chocolate’. However that track is marred by what sounds like chains rattling and hoover suction. These are annoying because it makes you say "Oh, there’s a hoover" rather than "What the hell is that" it’s only when the nozzle is manipulated in a certain way to produce what sounds like the gurgling of small furry creatures being squashed that it adds something. As it is they should have dropped the Winter track and concentrated on developing their ideas within the studio.

Well, Nod, whoever you may be, all of what you say is understandable. A few corrections though. All tracks are, in fact, Live. Even the studio ones as there were no 'ideas' thought out and practised b4 the actual recording. And apart from the first track, no editing either. I would agree in part that the live track has a different, more spacious sound than the other tracks but I would suggest this is down to the room sound and the fact it was recorded on one stereo mic rather than a few in a studio somewhere. I'd like to know how you knew that funny sound was a hoover straight away, too! People have had a lot of opinions as to how those sounds were made, and none of them involved hoovers. Maybe it could be something to do with the fact that I actually told you it was a hoover! Anyway it's all moot, and I expect to see you at our next gig. Cheers, Don. (oops!)

I actually used to enjoy making funny noises with a hoover nozzle and my mouth as a child. How ahead of my time is that?

Never mind how ahead of your time you were!
If you were a kid again you could join our band. Go to some deep regression therapy and get back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back