Rethinking the War on Drugs: Public Forum (2 Viewers)

Buzzo

Website
www.iprt.ie
Rethinking the War on Drugs - A Public Forum

28 August, 2006
The Irish Penal Reform Trust (IPRT), Merchants Quay Ireland and the Union for Improved Services, Communication and Education (UISCE) present a free public forum entitled "Rethinking the War on Drugs" on Monday 28th August.

Our main speaker will be Jerry Cameron. A seventeen-year police veteran, Mr. Cameron is a former U.S. Chief of Police as well as a former full time faculty member of the Institute of Police Technology and Management at the University of North Florida where he taught drug interdiction. Toward the end of his career, he began to question the efficacy as well as the morality of the war on drugs, eventually coming to the conclusion that it was a not only a total failure but that it was causing tremendous damage to society.
Today Mr. Cameron is a spokesperson for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP), a North American group made up of current and former members of law enforcement who believe the existing drug policies have failed in their intended goals of addressing the problems of crime, drug use, addiction, juvenile drug use, stopping the flow of illegal drugs and the internal sale and use of illegal drugs. By fighting a war on drugs, LEAP believes, governments increase the problems of society and made them far worse.

Also speaking at Rethinking the War on Drugs will be
  • Rick Lines, Executive Director of the IPRT
  • Ruardhri McAuliffe, Coordinator of UISCE
  • The panel will be chaired by Tony Geoghegan, Director of Merchants Quay Ireland

This free public lecture will be held at
Merchants Quay Ireland
4 Merchants Quay, Dublin 8

Registration, tea and coffee will begin at 9:30 and the event will start promptly at 10:30 and finish around 12noon.
For more information, or to pre-register, contact [email protected]

Simply put
if the government had any bottle they would legalise all drugs and in one fall swoop eliminate about 80-90% of crime.
Also once legalised it wouldn't be seen to be "glamrous" to be seen taking drugs and with the massive amounts of money saved just open up more drug rehab places.

TY for your time and attention.

Simply put
if the government had any bottle they would legalise all drugs and in one fall swoop eliminate about 80-90% of crime.
Also once legalised it wouldn't be seen to be "glamrous" to be seen taking drugs and with the massive amounts of money saved just open up more drug rehab places.

TY for your time and attention.

I agree, legalising drugs would not make them compulsory, as some people seem to think.

I dunno would it stop people taking drugs.I know loads of people rockin' the pep pills you get in the headshops.And look at the 'Dam ffs

Exactly, if drugs were legalized here for example, it would just turn the place into tourist central for people wantin to get outta their brains like holland. i could just about handle 7 days in amsterdam; imagine dublin city turning into that? saturday night would be a vision of hell.

Exactly, if drugs were legalized here for example, it would just turn the place into tourist central for people wantin to get outta their brains like holland. i could just about handle 7 days in amsterdam; imagine dublin city turning into that? saturday night would be a vision of hell.

Or maybe it could help spread the sensible action of removing prohibition. Anything made illegal becomes an uncontrolled substance posing alot more problems than that of a controlled one.
I think its human nature to want what you can't have(legally anyway) because if you look at Dutch people, the majority of them don't smoke or at least do it in a more casual way. When mushrooms were available to buy in town I found myself very rarely wanting to indulge but now that they're illegal i'm looking forward to picking season.

Heroin should not be available but MDMA, THC based products and some psychedelic substances could be successfully legalised. Obviously that sounds very simple the way i've put it but I think it can be done with many positive benefits towards crime and dodgy dealing.

Or maybe it could help spread the sensible action of removing prohibition. Anything made illegal becomes an uncontrolled substance posing alot more problems than that of a controlled one.
I think its human nature to want what you can't have(legally anyway) because if you look at Dutch people, the majority of them don't smoke or at least do it in a more casual way. When mushrooms were available to buy in town I found myself very rarely wanting to indulge but now that they're illegal i'm looking forward to picking season.

Heroin should not be available but MDMA, THC based products and some psychedelic substances could be successfully legalised. Obviously that sounds very simple the way i've put it but I think it can be done with many positive benefits towards crime and dodgy dealing.

I see your point but legalisation, where ever in the world, mgiht make the permanent residents less interested in drug use or abuse, but would still make the place a vacuum of temptation for people lookin for a fancy crazy time.

Why not Heroin? Surly if it was legal there’d be quality control, also it’d take the market away from the dealers .

I aint sure if it's gonna be recorded, unless indymedia come along and do so.

Don't really understand why you would advocate legalising hash and yokes and whatever other recreational drugs you're talking about, and not the substances that cause the worst public health and safety problems, that being heroin and, more recently, cocaine.

The danger of a place becoming a mecca for hedonists is understandable but the alternative, as it exists, seems far worse to me.

Why not Heroin? Surly if it was legal there’d be quality control, also it’d take the market away from the dealers .
Exactly.
We have tried the prohibition way for decades and it FAILS

Only people who gain are the Drug Dealers with yachts and villas of the coasts of Spain.

Is it not worth trying????
To quote the governments own statistic that over 75% of crime is drug related
and to make it less glamrous by legalising it would surely be the way forward, sure there might be an initial rush at 1st but I do seriously it would happen or last even if it did.

I have lost lots of people to drugs growing up in Ballymun and now living in the innver city!!

Lets all reinvest in Bulmers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back