Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (1 Viewer)

Ciansy

Just reviewed by Tom Doorley in the Irish Times. He says it's excellent, and that dinner for two with wine cost €471. Apparently it was worth it, but personally I don't see how that's possible. It makes me feel vaguely sick.

Just reviewed by Tom Doorley in the Irish Times. He says it's excellent, and that dinner for two with wine cost €471. Apparently it was worth it, but personally I don't see how that's possible. It makes me feel vaguely sick.
\
it's possible because it's not for the likes of us. its for the likes of dennis desmon et al who wipe their arses with 500 euro notes. they're catering to a completely different market. and of course the raw materials don't cost that much, but the exclusivity, location and cachet mean they can charge what ever the fuck they like, basically.

of course the raw materials don't cost that much, but the exclusivity, location and cachet mean they can charge what ever the fuck they like, basically.
It's a restaurant with 2 Michelin stars, which means the raw materials will be extremely high quality and probably cost far more than an entire meal in Little Caesar's. Also the chef and kitchen staff and waiters will be very well paid, because they'll be extremely good at what they do. There's a lot more to it than hype.

If I had the money I'd eat there regularly - myself and Mrs. egg_ once spent an awful lot of money (not €471, mind you, but it was 4 years ago) on a v high class dinner in Paris, and it was an amazing experience that we've talked about ever since. Worth it? Of course it was

I don't think there's anything wrong a very high price for a very high quality product - on the other hand there is something wrong with a world where a few people can eat there all the time and most people can't eat there ever

I'd pay that money to eat there. It'd definitely be worth it.

Might put myself and the woman on the waiting list for one of the fancy restaurants over here.

The Fat Duck in Bray (that's English Bray) may be the one - where one can get Snail Porridge. Mmmmmm.

Tom Doorly is a pretentious nob. No food is worth that. You can feed a village for about a month is some parts of the world with that sort of pricing. Sickening.

"Here we are in Burdock's with me bootiful girly legs."

It's a restaurant with 2 Michelin stars, which means the raw materials will be extremely high quality and probably cost far more than an entire meal in Little Caesar's. Also the chef and kitchen staff and waiters will be very well paid, because they'll be extremely good at what they do. There's a lot more to it than hype.

If I had the money I'd eat there regularly - myself and Mrs. egg_ once spent an awful lot of money (not €471, mind you, but it was 4 years ago) on a v high class dinner in Paris, and it was an amazing experience that we've talked about ever since. Worth it? Of course it was

I don't think there's anything wrong a very high price for a very high quality product - on the other hand there is something wrong with a world where a few people can eat there all the time and most people can't eat there ever

all of what he said, except substitute thornton's when it was in portobello for the v high class dinner in paris - it was genuinely one of the best dinners i have ever eaten in my entire life. even the plain baby boiled spuds were astonishingly good.

Last November I was lucky enough to get taken out to Guilbauds on a work freebie. We had the whole shootin' gallery. 4 (or was it 5?, lots of wine) courses and stuff etc.

It was fuckin unbelievable, as Egg said, a real experience. Will never forget it.

They did this thing between main course and dessert where they brought out little sherry glasses of what looked like jelly with ice cream on top, but it was jelly Corona Beer and the ice cream was frothy like a head of a beer, but it wasn't a head, ysee and then and then waarrrggggghh.

brilliant. you'd swear it was this guy in the kitchen:

Attachments

• wilder.bmp
    31.9 KB · Views: 132
i eat there regularly. dont see what the fuss is about, but i'm not really into food, so fuck it. I get more of a buzz out of the people you meet there. Last january i got talking to Natasha Bedingfields P.A., who I ended up playing golf with in marbella two weeks later.

I've also used the jacks after Tony O Reilly (smelly cunt, left a floater the girth of my head), recommended the Connemara lobster ravioli to Alyison Moyet (she had two) and Marty Whealan recommended some top notch erotic fiction titles for me whilst we pissed.

i eat there regularly. dont see what the fuss is about, but i'm not really into food, so fuck it. I get more of a buzz out of the people you meet there. Last january i got talking to Natasha Bedingfields P.A., who I ended up playing golf with in marbella two weeks later.

I've also used the jacks after Tony O Reilly (smelly cunt, left a floater the girth of my head), recommended the Connemara lobster ravioli to Alyison Moyet (she had two) and Marty Whealan recommended some top notch erotic fiction titles for me whilst we pissed.
COD AND CHIPS WITH GREEN SAUCE AND A BOTTLE OF RED LEMONADE THERE MATE-RA-DEE.

MARY HARNEY ATE THERE ONCE. THEY HAD IT UP AND RUNNING AGAIN IN 3 MONTHS!!

AND IS IT REALLY PRONOUNCED "GEE BALD"??

I GIVE IT 9 ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!'s

No, I'm fully aware of that. Of course they use top notch ingredients, but you'll still never be able to convince me they're 'worth' the amount they cost you. But that's not even remotely an issue and I don't have one with it myself in the slightest - I think we're all aware that to eat out in a restaurant you're paying for a lot more than just the raw materials, which was the point I was making. And in the case of Guilbauds, well, you're talking about a whole other level of things you're paying for - michelin stars being one of those things. I have absolutely no problem paying a lot of cash for a really nice meal. It's a huge treat, and I have eaten in the Merrion before and it was just so enjoyable because of the treatment you get. Oh and the food.

And in fact is is possible for the likes of us to eat there - they do a set lunch for about 60 quid I think.

No food is worth that.
Goff, you know as well as I do that something is "worth" an amount of money of someone is willing to pay it. I'm sure there's thousands of people in Ireland making a hundred grand a year (I'm not, obviously, just in case you're wondering), which works out around 500 quid a day. Have you ever spent a day's wages on a really nice dinner? Or a night out? Bet you have

You can feed a village for about a month is some parts of the world with that sort of pricing. Sickening.
You could feed a poor village for a year, most likely, with the amount I spend on rent every month, or with the amount I'm sure some people here spend on records or drugs or their bands in a year. Is that sickening? Why is it any more sickening because someone is spending it on food?

If you look for value for mony withfood you will end up eating pablum like Ameriacan's do. Her quantity is actuall a selling point - it's repulsive.

I would travel half way around the world for a good gig, paying far more than a meal at a Michelin starred restaurant. No one has ever said to me it was a waste of money.

I remember all of the really great meals I ate and if I had to pay double any of them, I would, and It would still be worth it.

You either accept that food can be an art form or else you see it as fuel. If food is just stuff you eat then I wouldn't even bother eating in a place like PG cause the experience would be lost on you.

(BTW if anyone is looking for good value in a Michelin starred restaurant look up Juniper in Manchester.)

"hello, i'm here to review your food"

michelin-man.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back