Releasing music yourself (2 Viewers)

this sounds like a thing we're missing

ya.. surely this can be revisited and instead of creating a new banner for it, thumped should be the hosting body for all these resources. obviously some of the original tym stuff is still relevant, but new articles and guides and shit all to do with online distribution, marketing blah blah could be added by folks who have experience with it. might be a cool way to bring in more subscriptions and advertising, ay pete?

Right, so it seems the smallest run you can get on proper replicated CDs is 500. That's good to know I suppose.
Are CDRs any good to you? Would a guy try to flog a CDR or is that frowned upon by you kids? Obviously they can be used to send as promo copies.

Right, so it seems the smallest run you can get on proper replicated CDs is 500. That's good to know I suppose.
Are CDRs any good to you? Would a guy try to flog a CDR or is that frowned upon by you kids? Obviously they can be used to send as promo copies.

between cd's and cd-r'sdoubt many people actually know the difference (if any), if the only difference is one lasts 20 years and the other only 15 then that's being picky for no good reason
personally i don't see the problem in getting cd-r's, but then again i've no money
:rolleyes:
leigh

The weird thing also is that there seems to be hardly no difference in the price between 500 & 1000 cd runs.cd's not cdr.

We end up getting 1000 done most times even thou we'd be lucky to sell 350 plus at the moment.The way I see it is : As the label gets more popular the old stuff will begin to sell more.Well I hope :)

K

The way I see it is : As the label gets more popular the old stuff will begin to sell more.Well I hope :)

Good philosophy! I'll have to share the dream with you on that one.

ya.. surely this can be revisited and instead of creating a new banner for it, thumped should be the hosting body for all these resources. obviously some of the original tym stuff is still relevant, but new articles and guides and shit all to do with online distribution, marketing blah blah could be added by folks who have experience with it.

I've added a load of the TYM articles that have been sent to me already
http://thumped.com/articles/music-production/
http://thumped.com/articles/music-promotion/
http://thumped.com/articles/home-recording/

if anyone wants to update them or write new ones then please do. If a collaborative effort would be better then it can be facilitated with a new section(s) on http://thumped.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

My former band got a cd made up with 500 copies. It looked great, the discs last longer and I've maybe half or 60% of the copies left. It was released 4 years ago and they're still selling a bit (Poltergeist Records rereleased the record last year). We long ago recouped the money and that was all I was worried about as the money spent was a loan.

If you get a big run done like this and want to promote the record it's a good idea to get as many names and addresses of relevant individuals as you can before you get the cds back and maybe invest in a rake of jiffy bags so as to be ready to get rid of as many of the cds as you can. I haven't a clue about presspacks and all that stuff but I'm sure there are some TYM links related to all that.

Solo, I've done CD-R releases on a much smaller scale with runs of only 30 usually. People don't seem to mind CD-Rs and I'm sure a significant amount of people just rip the disc and put the tunes on their MP3 players or computators anyway. Some CD-Rs end up faulty though so if you go that route doublecheck the discs that they work before giving them to anyone. None of the properly pressed CDs have ever been a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back