REKKIDS (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by Alex

Corduroy - (Don't remember the title)
That's a cool and extremely groovy '70s funk band - highly recommended

I thought they were a pretend 70s funk band knocking about in the 90s, but I could be wrong...

I have had similar constraints on my record buying due to moving house, which in London is redeeeculously expensive. But I have recently managed to pick up:

Tom Waits "Alice"
the unreleased one form 10 years ago from the Robert Wilson play about teh relationship between Lewis Caroll and Alice Liddell - more mellow and understated than his recent insanity, but pleasantly disturbing all the same

The Associates "Perhaps/ The Glamour Chase"
Bit of an acquired taste (synth pop with wibbly vocal acrobatics, in case you're not familiar) some of this hasn't dated too well, some of it sounds like it was recorded last week. The late Billy Mackenzie left his estate to his whippets, apparently.

The Langley Schools Music Project
See thread

Originally posted by Lolo

I thought they were a pretend 70s funk band knocking about in the 90s, but I could be wrong...

You're right I wasn't clear (bloody language barriers.... :( ) it's a 90s band playing 70s funk/acid jazz stuff
However, I think they're stunning.... maybe coz I play bass??? That guy (the bass player) is a genius....!

Ozric Tentacles are playing at Whelan's on June the 14th.

Ever heard of 'em? That's good stuff, I won't miss it

You have got to be kidding me...

The new 12" by DJ Shadow is pritty amazing, it's good to have the boy back... seems to have had a fairly hefty dose of 80's electro while he's been away... Think Afrika Bombatta mixed with an Evil Vince Clarke may give you some Idea...

The new Gemma Hayes LP is pritty good too albit a bit patchy... but she has the sweetest voice...

Nine, the REQ album is amazing I agree, but the best thing I have heard recently is Closer to Heaven, the original cast recording of the Pet Shop Boys west end show... top marks...

Also, check out the new Jim O'Rourke... Burt Bacherach meets The Velvets... top

Ozric Tentacles

i'm not entirely convinced meself. i saw them the first time i went to glastonbury (back in the dark ages) and in spite of the conducive environment and my, er, state of mind, i still found them a bit *too* stoner-tastic.

morning all.
What about funkstorung?Anyone heard of them?Me likesy
a tad too much rappin though...

Originally posted by minka
Ozric Tentacles

i'm not entirely convinced meself. i saw them the first time i went to glastonbury (back in the dark ages) and in spite of the conducive environment and my, er, state of mind, i still found them a bit *too* stoner-tastic.

yeah, silo used to give me horrible grief over them. i've only got one album though, arborescence and its relatively concise, but i can imagine them live....

i love the album titles though.. "curious corn" and the hand drawn covers.

Originally posted by billygannon
I got that Jimmy Beehan eepee. Listening to it in my kitchen....
thumbs up to Dublin's finest....

Frank Zappa's lumpy gravy has also made an apperance in my record collection... it's cool enough. I think it's like the Avalanches....

Avalanches? Really? I suppose there is a twittery side that is kind of Avalanche-esque. But if you want to really see where Zappa was coming from on that album check out the work of Igor Stravinsky. He was nuts. Or Edgar Varese. Zappa often ripped these guys off brazenly. But some of it is pure Zappa, like King Kong, fantastic piece of music (better version on Uncle Meat though, home also to the wonderful Dog Breath variations).

Some other good Zappa - Freak Out, Absolutely Free, Uncle Meat, Wacka/Jawacka (don't have that), The Grand Wazoo (or that), and any of the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore compilations. But be prepared for a lot of shite mixed in with the brilliance. Peaches en Regalia - not sure what that's on, is really good, and his live version of the Almann Brothers' Whipping Post is cool.

The avalanches?
I don't know about ye/yous but i cannot possibly fathom how anybody can think they're good!
Especially that song where they keep repeating "and we can book a flight tonight".What the fuck is that about??!?

Originally posted by snakybus

Avalanches? Really? I suppose there is a twittery side that is kind of Avalanche-esque. But if you want to really see where Zappa was coming from on that album check out the work of Igor Stravinsky. He was nuts. Or Edgar Varese. Zappa often ripped these guys off brazenly. But some of it is pure Zappa, like King Kong, fantastic piece of music (better version on Uncle Meat though, home also to the wonderful Dog Breath variations).

Some other good Zappa - Freak Out, Absolutely Free, Uncle Meat, Wacka/Jawacka (don't have that), The Grand Wazoo (or that), and any of the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore compilations. But be prepared for a lot of shite mixed in with the brilliance. Peaches en Regalia - not sure what that's on, is really good, and his live version of the Almann Brothers' Whipping Post is cool.

i used to get slagged for liking zappa as well. apostrophe and overnight sensation.

them was wonderful.

and some of the shorter pieces on uncle meat.

Originally posted by minka
Ozric Tentacles

Dunno, I have just one album, probably the one Herv has too (hand drawn cover) and I do like it but I've never seen them live. I'll let you know after the gig

Originally posted by herv

i used to get slagged for liking zappa as well. apostrophe and overnight sensation.

them was wonderful.

and some of the shorter pieces on uncle meat.

Yeah, because a lot of what he did was wank and sometimes over intellectual yet also infantile. If someone doesn't like it I go yeah well whatever I can see why. Some of it was really shite. But when he was brilliant he was brilliant. And his guitar soloing was great too, all bass notes and grind. I love guitar solos.

Dunno, I have just one album, probably the one Herv has too (hand drawn cover) and I do like it but I've never seen them live. I'll let you know after the gig

i think they all had hand drawn covers, bleedin hippies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back