redneck manifesto (2 Viewers)

Here's one....

The muzzled hound of hard-core growling at the bumbling post-man of off-mainstream guitar groups, Dublin's Rednecks play their oversized instruments in a thunder of undersized tones. Catapulting rock boulders through the speakers, the instrumentalists may be in danger of being hoist with their own petard. The rumbling, wordless manifesto beckons Irish youth to a world with no words, where all communication is through subtle sound gestures or grunting, affirmative snores. The prehistoric guitars offer basic emotions through the dense interchange, and tightness of the band resembles the thick undergrowth of the underground jungle. But will this evolve to a heartless motorway? Or will we be following the well-beaten jungle path? Either way, alive the trees are full of life, dead they can keep fires burning and paper churning.

jammybastid (23 Sep, 2001 09:16 p.m.):
okay, "Redneck Manifesto" and "hardcore" in the same paragraph.

Explain?

If you say 'Hardcore' in an erotic German accent it makes much more sense...

(you can also try 'Landslide Generator' using the same format - but don't come crying to me if it doesn't work out)

hmmm..nope, sorry,still don't get it.

And fear not damo, no argument.Except that I still fail to see anything even remotely related to hardcore in TRM's music.That's all.No slagging, no threatening to kill people.Just sayin' like.

jammybastid (24 Sep, 2001 12:49 p.m.):
I still fail to see anything even remotely related to hardcore in TRM's music.
Perhaps you have a too narrow view of what hardcore is...

I dunno. I don't think so. I just think there's a line where things cease to have iny relation to HC. examples:
The Fucking Champs
The Make Up
Slint
Jesus Lizard

all fine bands,I give you that, but all bands whose only relation to "hardcore" in my book is that their members had served time in various hardcore bands.

TRM likewise. They all have a past in hardcore. They all undoubtedly know their hardcore music. Their music is done in an (ahem..Witnness..ahem) independant fashion.
All admirable things. But sorry folks (and this includes the band members), ethics count for fuck all here. I just really, honestly don't see what their music has to do with hardcore (by hardcore I'm referring to hardcore punk, which indeed in my book spreads from the blazing thrash of days gone by to the more..emm.."wanky" shall we say sounds of bands such as Antioch Arrow or Black Cat 13)

I'm just fed up with how easily the term gets thrown around. I mean do you refer to Connect 4 Orchestra or Estel or 46 Long or Large Mound as Hardcore? No. See what I mean. (tho while I'm at it, the Baseball Fury are hardcore as fuck in my book)

Plus, the age old bullshit is the fact that people who refer to the likes of TRM are people who are dismissive or completely ignorant of the kind of bands that many people put in the "hardcore" bracket (Hint: So you like Refused and Bob Tilton?Big fucking deal).I guess in much the same way I might be dismissive of "art rock" or whatever term goes on bands such as TRM.And in spite of the fact that ok, I'm a total hc/punk nerd, I'm a lot more open minded than you might expect (I'm listening to Shuggie Otis typing this for fuck's sake!)

I guess ultimately pigeonholing music undoubtedly strikes many of you as weird, and yeah I know I sound elitist (as are, let's face it, most other people who post here), but in my book, if you're gonna pigeon hole a band, at least refer to them as something that they actually have some musical reference to.As opposed to what their members used to play before hand.
That's all I have to say.

Insert standard "Pretentious student indie wankers" comment here.

;)

Hardcore.
to me anyway, or to quote Iggy Pop..
A person that gives a damn to it and gives all they have to it.
Hardcore as in unshakeable belief in what they do?
i think Godspeed You Black Emperor are hardcore.

But then again, that's just me.

Boo.

here's another one:

rednecks make you enter thier bathroom, scrape their pubes from the shower and sink, make you roll a fag with the fruits and smoke it with their blessings.

mind blowing.

pah. hardcore. it's just a word. like what you like, who cares. Johnny Cash is hardcore. and John Cale. And Christy Moore. Them's hard core.

Oh, harcore *punk*!
I thought you meant the other, ravey, kind of hardcore.
Or Atari Teenage Riot-style digital hardcore.

No, wait, I didn't.
Do you really not think there's even a tiny smidgen of hardcore in TRM's music?
Not even when they all go "duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duh" on the same note at the same time?

Maybe we should cut them open and see what does lie at their core?
I'd say they're guts-core.

'fucking hardcore' is a whole different genre, Johnny boy. do try and keep up.

And the father looked at his son and their was a pause. "In a way Nigel, Jesus was hardcore too..."

but lets have a look at how the Germans define Rock Music in general...

German government defines rock music

The German government has released its official definition of rock and pop music.

Minister of State for cultural affairs Julian Nida-Ruemelin provided the lengthy definition after requests from opposition MPs.

He said it was "an entity of all musical forms that are usually created with the help of electronic amplifiers and follows the broader taste in music, usually for dancing, that is spread through the media and live concerts."

The German government has been criticised for trying to use rock and pop music for its own ends. Minister of Finance Hans Eichel recently asked a Berlin band to write a song that would boost his popularity.

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has frequently been overheard humming tunes by his favourite band, The Scorpions, reports the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back