Record Storage (1 Viewer)

Buzzo

Website
www.iprt.ie
We want to get shelving to hold our massive, hugely impressive, really cool record collections.

How do you folks store em?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Important factors include access/flickage, sturdiness, aesthetics and price...

get a wooden box fill it 7/8ths full with records then get a pice of foam and stuff the gap

when you want to flick fast take the foam out and fly thru em

Good idea. I especially like your Woman's Way Tips-esque way of sharing your idea.
I was just thinking about the storage for the 7"'s that used to be in Final Vinyl and wondering if I could do something like that.
I'd need shelves big and strong enough to accommodate wooden boxes full of records.

I'd like to think any viable solution involves the use of elves to retrieve/replace records. And some sort of Rube Goldberg-like system of pulleys and counterweights.

I bought a few standalone shelving units in Atlantic around six years ago after I got tired of having records all over the floor.

They're easy to assemble and very sturdy. Each shelf holds approx 160 LPs/12"s and there's four shelves per unit.

You'll need to take off any plastic sleeves though. Otherwise you'll be driven crazy.

I have shelves I got in Argos for pretty cheap. Have to make them yourself like but that's no bother. lp's stand so you can see the spines,there are 5 shelves on each one plus you can put stuff on top but not lp's.
7"s go in boxes(usually perfectly sized shoeboxes) and are stacked side by side on another shelf unit the same as the lp's.
And Kirstie and Neil donated a rather nice shelf unit when they moved and had no room,it's perfect and I would like more.
If Ikea come to ireland I'm buying an expedit or two to replace the argos shelves.

i want some shit that'll allow me flick through by the frontwards....record shop style. not spine side up....

anyone any good with wood and nails?

I keep mine in a series of cardboard boxes and a supermarket shopping basket. It stinks! There's a rumour going around that my other half is going to make proper boxes for them though. I'm waaaaiting...

that was from habitat and they still have them in there, I think the range is manto and you can get it in low and eh..high...heights. And yeah it's perfect for vinyl alright.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
And Kirstie and Neil donated a rather nice shelf unit when they moved and had no room,it's perfect and I would like more.
If Ikea come to ireland I'm buying an expedit or two to replace the argos shelves.

i got a mate of mine who owns a jig-saw to help me make mine out of ply wood. cheap and strong

What if you had your shelving unit, and in the individual compartments you store wooden boxes full of records that you pull out. These boxes are possibly on rollers for ease of access... someone with a brain tell me if this is feasible....

aoifed said:
What if you had your shelving unit, and in the individual compartments you store wooden boxes full of records that you pull out. These boxes are possibly on rollers for ease of access... someone with a brain tell me if this is feasible....

Anyone I know of who has tried that idea ends up getting fed up with it. Spine viewing is the way to go.

you could buy a cube unit and then buy boxes to place in each cube. In theory.

But if you wanted rollers etc the height of each would have to be greater than the width and the boxes, if made from wood, would also reduce the amount of room you'd end up with for actual storage in each segement. Plus it'd have to be a bespoke solution and you'd end up paying a fortune for it.

Is it REALLY so inconvenient to have to flick through sideways?

aoifed said:

aoifed said:
We want to get shelving to hold our massive, hugely impressive, really cool record collections.

How do you folks store em?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated. Important factors include access/flickage, sturdiness, aesthetics and price...

put them in boxes and stick them in the attic you fucking luddites.

MP3's take up practically no shelf space whatsoever.

GORILLAMUNCH said:
i want some shit that'll allow me flick through by the frontwards....record shop style. not spine side up....

anyone any good with wood and nails?

get a wooden box fill it 7/8ths full with records then get a pice of foam and stuff the gap

when you want to flick fast take the foam out and fly thru em

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back